Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
nissan patrol mq
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all im a newbie here and i was just wanting to no if i needed a muffler for roadworthy i have a SD33T with 3" exhaust and no muffler do i need one for roadworthy or not.

Thanks

Registered
nissan
I've heard that beacause the turbo chops up exhaust gasses it acts as a muffler to a certain extent. And that they will measure the DB reading at the pits to see if its too loud. But it would be alot easier to have a cheap muffler thrown in there but get the exhaust shop to use exhaust flanges instead on welding it in that way you can swap it round whenever you want. Cheers

Registered
nissan
Won't be cheap when you have to buy flanges x 6
2 x muffler
2 x exhaust system
2 x straight pipe to replace muffler.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Mufflers are a requirement for Road worthies regardless of DB

IF its to noisy youll have to quiten it some more,maybe a different muffler style/type

Registered
nissan mk
Mufflers also act as flame arrestors which should be a must if your running around the bush.

Registered

Registered
nissan patrol mq
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey thanks everone for ur help. yer i think i will just go fo a cheap muffler just to be on the safe side.

thanks, oh and its so good to finaly find a good forum.

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
Once your Road worth is invalid (they are valid for 2 or 4 weeks from the date they are written)
After that period your on your own
If its deemed illegal or unroad worthy after that period
The fines, demerit point issues are all yours

Best to do it right and get everything all sorted

Registered
nissan mk
I've never seen a diesel engine push flames out the exhaust
Good general practice for all 4WDs only, you are right re turbo diesel no sparks. I have a small hotdog on the end of mine. Have to look out with a new muffler that it doesn't mess you up if you fit a long range tank at a later date.
Shouldn't worry about noise meters, most inspection stations wouldn't have one and will only worry if exhaust is leaking or overly noisy.
Go the 90DB sic whistle from the turbo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts