Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:coffee: Hi Everyone, I've been brousing at and reasearching information on this site regarding MQ/MK Patrols for the last 6 months or so now and I have recently purchased my first 4WD, a Green 1980 MQ Patrol Ute off my uncle! :) Ultamitely I wont to turn it into a weekend camping and bush going machine. It only needs a little TLC before the transformation can take effect.

It has to have the engine replaced as cylinders 2,4 & 6 run a 3.6 compression rate instead of a healthy 4.6 apparently. :-( Therefore blows quite a bit of white smoke on start up and can't get a transfer of ownership until fixed. Rego runs out in April and don't what to go through the rubbish of re - registering. Im not fantastic with engines especially diesels! I live in melbourne and have come across Engine Plus in Cheltenham, they have quoted me $4650.00 (old engine out new one in) for an imported 24volt SD33T engine from Japan, (the sales guy tells me the engine has done btwn 60,000 & 130,000kms).

I suppose ultimately I would love to hear your opinion, and possible experiences in purchasing an engine this way. All of you have been very helpful up to this point and I apolgize now for taking so long to say "hello".

I only really have the cash to do the job once so I really need sound advice from people
who have done the work before. I'm prity good with my hands, and can nut out most accessories fitted to the car, engines I have no idea about.(Did carpentry apprenticeship instead of becoming a mechanic) Especially a diesels that runs on 24volt!!

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
If it stops smoking after it warms up you can probably get it thru rego OK and leave the motor rebuild to another day. Mine has 440,000km on the clock and does the same thing but once it warms up no smoke. (Mine needs the injectors overhauled at about $70 dollars each exchange. This is the main cause of the smoke from my shorty.)
You can probably fit the injectors yourself just get some new copper washers with the exchange injectors and WARNING use two spanners when you undo the pipes.

·
Registered
nissan st 08
656 Posts
Or give ya Uncle the money to re-register it for ya in his name and swap it over when ya get it all sorted

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, didn't expect replies so soon! I wouldn't mind getting it out of my uncles name to be honest. I have to get the engine looked at eventually and it is the only thing holding it back from getting roadworthy on. Everything else checks out. I've already been bleed of $9600 bringing it up to having 80% of it done. I'll have to have the engine replaced soon enough so im thinking is first on the list of improvements as it kills two birds with one stone!

·
Registered
419 Posts
$9600 + $4650.. eeck, you could have had a perfectly working GU patrol for that money.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, typo on the $9600. It is meant to read $960. Who in their right mind would spend that much! If i had I would expect and want to have a gq instead.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Not sure if I would spend the 4 grand on the donk considering the age of the car. The body etc would need to be perect.

Have you had it in for a road worthy?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Ya can pik up (IF ya lucky)a good running SD33 (Either n/a or Turbo) under 2 K
Put a "Hand Wanted" add on here someone from this forum mite throw ya a hand
$4.5K for a 2nd hand sd33 fitted
Are they freakin kidding ???

60-130K on engines on a 24V Sd motor
Though the 24V jobies finished years ago

If it only blows smoke at start up,howz it go when hot
Maybe take it down for a RWC when hot

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I have tries to get a roadworthy on it? The engine is the only thing holding it back. There is no rust on chassis, only minimal body rust on cab. My three options as I see them are: 1: Sell it and try to get my money back, 2: Trade it on something a little younger or 3: Do the work and hang on to it a few years. Running gear works perfect so replacement engine would give me a bit more get up and go. The thing is, its a tray and they are few and far btwn in reasonable condition. Id love a GQ but they are out of my price range or the ones in it have to high km's. I have a 10,000 limit for car a planned mods.

Please correct me if you think I am wrong!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes I have tries to get a roadworthy on it? The engine is the only thing holding it back. There is no rust on chassis, only minimal body rust on cab. My three options as I see them are: 1: Sell it and try to get my money back, 2: Trade it on something a little younger or 3: Do the work and hang on to it a few years. Running gear works perfect so replacement engine would give me a bit more get up and go. The thing is, its a tray and they are few and far btwn in reasonable condition. Id love a GQ but they are out of my price range or the ones in it have to high km's. I have a 10,000 limit for car a planned mods.

Please correct me if you think I am wrong!

when it comes to mods i dont think there is a Limit is there, i have always said i am only going to spend 5g on mods in this thing and it gunna stay a daily as well as play thing, Then one thing leads to another, dual lockers 36s springs and things and bam way over budget

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car runs fine when hot. After 10 or so mins warming up it will run fine for the rest of the day. Taken it out to otways over the chrissy break and it ran all day without a hint of white smoke. Bit of black smoke when put the foot down or between gear changes but that is it.

My concern is nosey neighbours calling the EPA! I now put a diesel conditioner in it and hold the glow plug light on for 30 secs after initial warming and it seems to have cut cold start smoke in half. Diesel mechanic told me 300ml of 2 stroke fuel in with a full tank of diesel may also do the trick for roadworthy. Can any one vouch for this.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Do a bitta reading on here regarding the smoke issues
IF it was blowing smoke all the time from cold start and all day yeah maybe replace the motor
But from just cold start i would get the motor serviced,new oil fuel filter ect
Then drive it

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You hit the nail on the head Ravos! Im a surfer, and to be honest the original plan was to set the car up for flat day fun. (no waves) Summer is renowned for this! Problem is the more time I spend on this forum, the bigger my eyes get and therefore potential bugets do get blown out considerably. I do like the fact these are almost unbreakable to a point and hardly any electrics to be concerned about. I do want to upgrade suspension and 9 15" rims including 4 on the car with spare came as part of the deal, so eventually I would love to get some muddies for quick change over when the need arises. Maybe 2 Inch lift aswell

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive had all new oil and filters put on it. (thats how I arrived at it costing me $900.) I have a company car for during the week so this more of a weekend or getaway car. It is by no means a daily driver. I am looking for a little more reliable get up and go in the bush.

I also noticed the temp guage creeps considerably north on 35 degree day. Is this normal for these type of engines? Stays at lower end on say 24 degree day.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Hot temps can be many different and varied reasons
Cracked head,head gasket, blocked radiator, water pump,clutch fan hub, heaps of reasons

I think the engines condition and cooling system needs to be checked
Any compedent mechanic should help
Maybe a few $$$ for a full engine check will help with some direction for thoughts as what to do

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i reckon its the glow plugs in the very early model sd33 that cause the white smoke. they actually changed the glow plug design around '82. my 81 engine did the same thing, i would give it a good extra-long glow, start it up and it would chug white smoke. i found keeping the revs up a little whilst keeping it glowing would clear it up pretty quick. i sold this engine to my mate the other week, whilst we were putting it into his car we put his reco injectors onto the engine. didnt help the startup smoke any, but definitely resulted in a bit of restored power and smoother running.

you should be able to find a sweet running turbo engine for under 2k, as others have mentioned. i sold my engine, plus a 5 speed conversion to my mate for 1k, coz im such a nice guy :) but shop around, you should be able to find something.

for 4k, you could be doing a v8 conversion.

with the temp, mine ran 70% on the gauge. i worked out this is 92-5 on my engine. my mates taken it beach and camping and stuff and not had any trouble. you could clean out your oil cooler: http://nerok.info/engine/sd33/oil_cooler#cleaning

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My SD33T lows a little white smoke some mornings...depends on the ambient temperature
The glow relays on the SD33's arn't that reliable.

I give mine an extra glow in the morning and it will fire at the flick of a key. It all depends on how much heat from the glow plug is actually transferred into the precomb chamber. The cast iron hed and block acts as a massive heatsink when cold.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
Mine dose blow a little bit when its fairly cold, I just wonder if the solenoid is supplying the full voltage to the plugs.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My relay stops supplying voltage after about 5 seconds....thats why I manually glow.
I don't think the glow relay on the SD stays on after start - Emissions laws werent as harsh in the 80's :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts