·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,475 Posts
Hello, I am going to be replacing my water pump soon as I have noticed a small coolant leak coming from that area. I was just wondering what else I should be changing while I am in there? I found this Tora pump here New Water Pump Nissan TD42 4.2L Diesel GQ GU Wagon Y60 Y61 Patrol Safari incl Turbo +DA Ford Maveric | WP6056 and it comes with the gasket so I know I will have that but just wondering what else I should do while I am there.
Make sure the new pump has fan hub studs before you take the old one off,if not you will need to make/aquire [ I make 'em by cutting the heads off M6 stainless cap screws ] the old ones are as near impossible to remove to re-use.

Cheers,G.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,225 Posts
I’ve never had a problem removing the old ones, just lock two M6 nuts together on the thread and it screws straight out, haven’t replaced any yet (touch wood)

·
Registered
nissan
1,709 Posts
Has the thermostat housing gaskets and rubber o-ring seal ever been changed the o-ring gets perished and starts leaking with age which usually starts some of the bolts to go rusty and makes them hard to remove.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,226 Posts
Identify the leak first, as it may be coming from elsewhere. If it is, then you need to look at some new gaskets etc. I would do this before just removing the water pump.

Also, the water pump is not the greatest in terms of efficiency when it comes to the TD42. For this reason it pays to get a "good" one. Some pumps have shown bigger tolerances between the impellor and the timing case. My pump had about 3mm but some of them can be 6mm. Not good. I have had 3 GMB water pumps, and they all have the same tolerance of about 3mm. This is certainly not ideal, but better than 6mm, so I would be cautious about trying to save a small amount of money on a cheaper part.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,726 Posts
Has the thermostat housing gaskets and rubber o-ring seal ever been changed the o-ring gets perished and starts leaking with age which usually starts some of the bolts to go rusty and makes them hard to remove.
x2, this is just above the water pump. If leaking can drip onto water pump and run down side drips from bottom. The water pump has a witness hole in the bottom where the drive shaft goes through. If leaking from there the seal is gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys, I went ahead and changed the gasket and o-ring along with the water pump. No more leak I do believe the leak was coming from the thermostat area however the pump was due for a change anyways.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Thats a cheap pump. Been awhile since I have had a TD42. So been a long time since I have brought a water pump. But I am sure I paid around $120 from Nissan. Which was an about average price.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Thats a cheap pump. Been awhile since I have had a TD42. So been a long time since I have brought a water pump. But I am sure I paid around $120 from Nissan. Which was an about average price.
Just shows you can buy cheap and nasty if that is what you want!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just shows you can buy cheap and nasty if that is what you want!
I worked on the theory that the genuine one lasted 350,000km. Which surprised me. As the previous owner never changed it. And at the time prices ranged $105-200 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
47 Posts
Check the fan and fan clutch. You'll likely find the fan has stress fractures. Not too expensive to replace. I found that the fan clutch died about 6 months after I replaced the water pump, so I replaced both the blades and clutch and wished I had done it with the pump.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I worked on the theory that the genuine one lasted 350,000km. Which surprised me. As the previous owner never changed it. And at the time prices ranged $105-200 .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, not worth the risk of buying cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts