Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people, I have a 2011 Nissan Patrol 4 cylinder turbo diesel. Always serviced as per book by two great mechanics. Over the last few weeks the engine gas been very hard to start. Engine kicks over however takes a bit to start. I have always used injector cleaner. People always have their opinion such ads the glow plugs are stuffed etc. I do not want to go to Nissan as I will get raped financially.

Can any one give me some advice.

Thanks heaps

Greg

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,331 Posts
My first question would be is this all the time or after it has been sitting for a while, possibly air ingestion into the system? does the primer firm up quickly? Has the filter been recently changed? Are the glow plugs actually working? Soooo many possibilities!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first question would be is this all the time or after it has been sitting for a while, possibly air ingestion into the system? does the primer firm up quickly? Has the filter been recently changed? Are the glow plugs actually working? Soooo many possibilities!
This happens all the time.Both fuel and air filter have been changed at the last service. I have recently returned v
from a trip up north,10k not as problem

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,331 Posts
Is it performing fine otherwise? We need all the clues we can get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it performing fine otherwise? We need all the clues we can get.
Mate the car is great. Good fuel economy. The only problem is with starting hot or cold. I have noticed that while the engine is attempting to start if I pump the accelerator this seems to quicken the process.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
22,104 Posts
Have you tried priming the pump before starting, first?

Foo

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,331 Posts
Hmmmm! Pumping accelerator only increases TPS voltage, doesn't do much until engine starts. Will mov this o CRD section.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
The CRD starter turn very slowly compared to other vehicles.
Now if your starter has a slight issue and together with that the ECU picks up low fuel rail pressure you will struggle.

So for a start : I recommend checking the engine revs while trying to start with some digital tachometer. Or have the starter removed and tested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The CRD starter turn very slowly compared to other vehicles.
Now if your starter has a slight issue and together with that the ECU picks up low fuel rail pressure you will struggle.

So for a start : I recommend checking the engine revs while trying to start with some digital tachometer. Or have the starter removed and tested.
Thanks mate. I failed to reveal that I have a dual battery system fitted. The main battery will have to be replaced as it slightly low on amps according to the guy who services the car. he is suggesting glow plugs however I am not entirely convinced.

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
If the battery voltage drops to low while the starter is drawing current, you will have low fuel rail pressure and possibly even a limp ECU (not enough voltage to run the electronic system properly)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the battery voltage drops to low while the starter is drawing current, you will have low fuel rail pressure and possibly even a limp ECU (not enough voltage to run the electronic system properly)
Thanks bud, will head out tomorrow and get a new battery. I appreciate your comments and all the other people who have provided advice. I will post after the battery is fitted.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
92 Posts
Hi people, I have a 2011 Nissan Patrol 4 cylinder turbo diesel. Always serviced as per book by two great mechanics. Over the last few weeks the engine gas been very hard to start. Engine kicks over however takes a bit to start. I have always used injector cleaner. People always have their opinion such ads the glow plugs are stuffed etc. I do not want to go to Nissan as I will get raped financially.

Thanks heaps

Greg
Suggest an injector return leakage test be performed and a fuel system check for function and possible contamination(water). Do not quote me, but from memory understand CRD injectors all need to come up to around 20,000psi (135MPa) before eng will fire. So if a good fuel pump and all injectors are within spec, engine should fire near straight away but if one or more injectors are faulty you need to crank for prolong period of time until all obtain the required operating pressure(all same).

May have picked up water in fuel and can cause massive stripping of metal from either pump or injectors as operating at around max 23,000psi(160MPa).

Can check for contamination (water thru fuel sys) by putting some fuel from filter into a small glass tube / flask (say 20mm dia) and shine a led light up thru bottom of tube and the light passing up thru fuel, and if contaminated will show up small glitters of metal particles that have been stripped of injectors(seen by the naked eye).

Diesel Fuel Injection SME may be your friend.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks heaps

Greg
Hi Greg i had the same happen to my 2012 GU, it was the fuel pressure vale on the end of the injector rail stuck open a little bit and not maintaining pressure in the rail when the motor was nut running. they wont start unto they build up pressure. hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts