1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it would be a while b4 a good supply of secondhand engines are available.
I hope they are smaller and not as difficult to put in as the duramax.

when will kits be made 4 here;)

The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
Reckon it would go good in the ol' MK. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Cheers....Lionel.

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got to wonder if diesels really have a future with diesel being circa 30% more expensive than petrol in the US.

I also read that the additional gear required on a diesel to make it compliant with the latest US emmision regs adds about 3k to the price of a car / small truck.

Those two factor create quite a barrier. On the flip side turbo petrols are producing diesel like low rpm torque. Maybe Ford with its turbo V6 petrols plus 10 speed auto is on the right path.

Registered
nissan
In all honesty, diesels are dying out.
It will be a few years yet, but (with the exception of large machinery / trucks) they already (Mazda in particular) have the required technology to make petrol engines do everything we need.
But like all technology, they leak it out very slowly.
Mazda has been working on Mega high compression, direct injection, semi compression ignition engines (think 16-18:1 compression ratios on a turbo petrol engine)
And it is basically ready for production, but wont hit most markets until 2018 at the earliest.

Diesels, (although the technology really is becoming outdated) have only really just taken off, and while they are so popular, they will keep building them. Simple consumer logistics.

The sad part is, there is so many INGENIOUS alternatives, and none of them will ever see the light of day.
Hell in 1974, BMW built 10 (I think) Hydrogen powered vehicles. Shell bought the patents and rights of use... We'll never see THOSE plans again...

But seriously, there will be HEAPS of these diesels built and available, I for one will have my hand up for one.

*end rant

Registered
nissan
Also, from a different side, funny you mention 10 speeds.
Ford, ZF and Borg Warner have all declared that economy vs. weight vs. whatever says 8 speeds is pretty well ideal with current technology ;)

And diesels cost more to produce in PUBLIC vehicles,
I am led to believe (feel free to tell me otherwise) that the U.S., like here, has a lot more lax rules in regards to commercial vehicles and S.U.V.s.
The yanks buy petrols vehicles because of TAXES on diesel powered ones, and on diesel itself.

Me myself, I love running vehicles on BBQ fuel :D 100 R.O.N. @ 70% cost of 95 ULP. Awesome :bananaro:

Registered
nissan patrol GQ
Hell in 1974, BMW built 10 (I think) Hydrogen powered vehicles. Shell bought the patents and rights of use... We'll never see THOSE plans again...

But seriously, there will be HEAPS of these diesels built and available, I for one will have my hand up for one.

*end rant
when I was in Germany 2006-2007 working on turbines and fuel cells, MB had the entire bus service running on hydrogen fueled buses in one city.

I managed to get taken for a spin in one of their hydro E class testbeds and it was pretty good. constant torque - almost as good as the electric cars they were testing

MB. BMW and VW weren't focussed on range though - just on the tech and that basically made it suitable for short haul, so better for europe, but crap for Aust, Canada, US, China, Russia

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
The titan makes some decent figures... but it still seem a little limp compared to the Duramax.

Arguably would be a better swap into a Patrol though.

1986 SD33T SWB

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nissan isn't trying to compete with the Duramax and other heavy duty pickups in the US, they are pitching the Titan XD as in between light and heavy duty. There are no light duty full size pickups in the US other than the Ram with the 3l V6. A new market niche Nissan says.

The titan makes some decent figures... but it still seem a little limp compared to the Duramax.

Arguably would be a better swap into a Patrol though.

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The accountants will workout the maths and decide petrol vs diesel... things can change.

I cant see this trend happening in the mining or oil/gas industry....

1986 SD33T SWB
Nissan isn't trying to compete with the Duramax and other heavy duty pickups in the US, they are pitching the Titan XD as in between light and heavy duty. There are no light duty full size pickups in the US other than the Ram with the 3l V6. A new market niche Nissan says.
Ah, my mistake.
It will be interesting to see if the decision pays off.

Registered
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
My understanding is the 10 speed ford is using is joint development between ford and GM. I'm wondering if Ford will drop two speed transfer cases with the 10 speed. I think MB has now got a 9 speed. Times have changed sinces the 2 speed powerglide hey:)

Also, from a different side, funny you mention 10 speeds.
Ford, ZF and Borg Warner have all declared that economy vs. weight vs. whatever says 8 speeds is pretty well ideal with current technology ;)

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
About time. But give it five years and the do-gooders will have brought in a law preventing us from making the conversion, so speculation is pointless.
Fixed for you. :p

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
Plenty of Titans in Nigeria, good ride from the couple I have been in.

And given that the main drags here are comparable to our worst off road conditions it should work well off road too. :)

Registered
nissan
In all honesty, diesels are dying out...

Someone should tell the 700 mil people in Europe then. Especially Audi who have been successful in the Le Mans after redeveloping their race cars to diesel.

We're only just scratching the surface of what diesel is capable of. Given that it can already be produced from renewable resources without fossil fuels it's got plenty of time left to dominate. The technology advancement just needs to catch up to the regulators so they can supersede EGR and DPF type bandaids.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts