Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, let me introduce my car. English is not my first language, so I will write less, and I'd rather add more pictures

The previous Patrol (2.8 swb) was my start of the world of overland, but i quickly realized that the short version of the Patrol was not exactly the best fit for exploring the world, and therefore decided to buy a long version of Patrol. Fortunately, just then (though for a long time), a poor one was on sold, which I took under my hands.
The car looked good on the first look, and it was still original, which is for me a good start for the car to be made according to my wishes.
Already in the purchase, I noticed some of the consequences of accident, which the car apparently experienced once in the past, but I did not notice any major consequences until the car was taken apart. But more about this a little later ...: wink:

Thus, the car came to my hands on November 14, 2014, then waited a good year and a half for the my good will and, of course, the financial resources for the implementation of the project.

ll

We took the car to a friend, also a passionate overlander, on June 20, 2016, and he was who has contributed significantly to the realization of my wishes. His father is even more a contributor who has resigned his premises and all the tools.It's right to thank the both man in this place, because without them, this project would probably never have seen the light. Thank you.

As I mentioned, the car was in the first place in good condition, without major damage, just the first pillar was somehow repair by some guy pretty fast.
The chassis also seemed to be perfectly protected, with no spots of rust on typical places for a Patrol, the exception was only the engine that ran, but stirred water and oil, so it was unusable.

If my previous Patrol was fairly colorful, like some rally car from Dakar, I would like this time to be a more "civilian" look of the car, but i still couldn't get out of my skin on some things :D
For the inspiration of the project, I once find a picture of the Icelandic Patrol on the Internet, and since then I knew what I wanted for the end result.

Well, 44 inch tires are little too much for me, but I've set the course.:cool:

To be continued ... :wink:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes ...
Striptease started :grin:

When you take a car apart, you always expect that the car's status will be worse than what you could see on the outside, but still hoping for the best ... Well, I would almost have a hart attack, because the more I was digging the worst has become ... Not so much in the sense of rust (if I was a total beginner for welding sheet metal years ago, I learned to patch a lot in this time), as in the sense that how much The car was damaged in the past.

Well, the car was basically normally driven and could quite leave it as it was, but no, myself personally, things have been disturbed me too much and I decided to repair them to the best of my ability.
Let me tell you a little about what was damaged, because I do not think I have a picture ... I was too upset.
In short, the car once suffered a frontal damage to the front left, the consequences of which were damaged by the front left A pillar, the front B pillar and everything in the middle above at the roof joint, a slightly damaged roof at the front left (not too much), and then ... a firewall was like It would be chewed by a dinosaur. There was also some small backbones on the floor towards the last end.
I saw one and only solution .... grinder: roll:

At this point, I really wondered if I could even make a car again from this because this exceeded my knowledge of sheet metal placement. I also did not have a budget for another car, although there was not even one donor car in that time in Slovenia.
After a couple of days of headache, I said, F ****, what will be will be and I started with the work.

Luckily, I could use the front end from my previous Patrol and the game with the puzzles was started.

to be continued :wink:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu tray
183 Posts
Nice work mate.
I need to practice that meditation technique some times! :D
Picturesque place in the world you live in.
Welcome. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work mate.
I need to practice that meditation technique some times! :D
Picturesque place in the world you live in.
Welcome. ;)
Thanks mate ;)

Yes, I can easily say, that i'm living in the most beautiful part of my country:wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVEvxRuULU

But let's go with the project further... :D

Then there's the fact that I'm a stubborn freak ...

Yes, when I saw some layers of paint, filler and rust, I said to myself, if I want to do what needs to be done, the only variant is sandblasting ... and I think thoroughly!
And also I was lucky when my friend Mitja renewed his Toyota LC80, which of course did not demand such drastic measures, but nevertheless bought a brand new sandblasting machine and his father took care of the best improvised sandblasting chamber!
If he sandblast his car sometime around 15 hours, I used the machine much more, since there I have over 60 hours of sandblasting all parts.

For training, I started small parts, the front end of the donor, doors,...

On all the sandblasted parts I applied Wurth rust converter and at a suitable time I coated on 2k epoxy zinc based paint.

To be continued...

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sandblasting the bodywork and later the chassis, I welded together a car rotisserie, with which work was more than simple ... I can not imagine working without it ...

360 ° infinite rotation, I can completely turn the car, and I must say this is pleasure to work with: lol: And the body on rotisserie goes to my improvised chamber !!

To be continued...:punkrock:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
39ur later ...

The whole body is sandblasted on outside and inside ...
It was necessary to cut off the part of the rear left flank, because the internal fender was poorly repaired and could not be repaired otherwise, and the other two parts on the rear side, where the plastic mudguard comes in the original, because they were in poor condition (rust) for repair .

Then again wurth and zink based primer ...

I do not know if I've already mentioned how bizzare I am? :D Somewhere in between, I decided to make bigger openings for my big tires. 36 inch tires grip the rear and the front of the fenders and do not go on the car without opening the corners. Since I wanted to keep only a line of original fenders, I cut a inch of fender across the entire length. This brings out more than too many problems and work behind. The fenders need to be reconnected with the inner mudguard and of course ... the original fender flares do not fit anymore. For the appearance of Icelandic from the beginning of the publication I was somehow, wanted to make special fender flares but again ... wait, we will get to there eventually... :D

To be continued...

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the time has come for the merger. I carefully measured the pillars before carefully cutting the donor, carefully cut it and prepared it for welding on both cars. I cut the floor on the car, where it was connected in a factory and in the same way it was done on the donor. With sheet covering and "point" welding we placed the two ends of the bodywork on their chassis carriers in order to have an exact match.
Let me say that I succeeded! ;)

Then it was time for me to leave the bodywork for a moment and decide to dedicate to the chassis. Once this is done, I can continue with the body and the union of these two elements. Body with chassis.

To be continued...:iconbana:

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Epic!!! Can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chassis was in a year and a half, for as long as she was sitting at home under a sky, picking up some rust.
Sandblasting showed a lot, a few holes and some bad repair of the chassis.

Some pictures before and after blasting ...

I cut the chassis off to the healthy metal in places where the rusty holes was. I deliberately cut a biger holes so that I can make it clean with sandblasting 95% of the chassis interior and also protect it with a zinc base primer.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since I'm working on the chassis, I decided to take care of the defect that was not considered by the factory.It often happens that on rear end of chassis bends spring mounts (towers) due the heavy load. It brakes either the weld or the towers himself. I found way to fix it on the Internet and instead of buying it a just I made it.

To be continued...as usual :)

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
let's go ahead

The chassis is finally reinforced and protected with first coat of paint. Because from all of damage from the accident I decide to take chassis to the automotive body repairman

When automotive body repairman do his work, another layer of paint was followed, slightly different from the first and for the last layer I was applying 2K polyurethane black paint.

To be continued ... :wink:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Then the axis came for a series of task. I must say that axis are a quite financial challenge if you change like me all bearings, oil seals, swivel seals, brake discks, brake pads, caliper pistons, flexible brake hoses, ... everything...

Before disassembling for sandblasting...

Some new stuff...

Of course, I also strengthened the axis in certain places, probably not because I need to, but because I like some challenge in making things in my one way

The first protection in the progress ... sheet metal 6mm

Somewhere in the middle for the rear end...also protector for actuator of differential lock

Sandblasting parts...

Wurth

Other parts from axis...

[/url]

To be continued...

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also renovate the swivel hubs on the front axles ... my was in catastrophic shape, it would make no sense to give the new stuff on...

before...

brushed...

2 component repair metal...

Sanding...

and then painting the axles

and at between final assembly

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the look of the Iceland truck from the beginning, I had to get rid of the chrome ...

The front radius arms was also renovated

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some more pictures of assembly of axles

And the final result ... here they look like they are from small Suzuki : lol:

For reassembly axles on chassis, there was missing suspension. Even today, I'm smiling when I look at this picture, even though the financial contribution was really big for this (I did not even have a money to shave my beard anymore:rofl:!) The suspension which I chose, was OME BP-51 shock absorbers and OME competition springs. In Slovenia, the laws governing car modification are quite strict and there are not many parts for which you need the necessary documentation for the type approval. So I chose the best :wink:

In the end, the chassis looked like this

More pictures in the coming days :iconbana:

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu tray
183 Posts
Awesome build and great dedication mate!
Looks like it might of spent a little bit of time in salt water with the amount rust on the chassis?

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I doubt it...

Slovenia has only 43 kilometers of coastline, while driving on it is almost impossible and strictly prohibited.

We have, however, another (stupid) law ... from November 15 until March 15 , the law on winter conditions is in force, and almost all this time they boldly salts the asphalt surface to prevent possible slipping of vehicles ... if necessary or not ... on top of everything, I believe that they're exaggerating with the amount of mix of salt and sand, because sometimes, when the wind dries the asphalt, there are quite white stains on the road, and it feel just like driving on a dry salty lake. :rolleyes:

Then there is the fact that most owners of 4x4 in our country do not care properly about their vehicles, here I am primarily talking about of washing hard-to-reach places (such as chassis). And then the result is also sadely appropriate for this...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
134 Posts
Wow. Fantastic job mate. I know the guy who built the refrence patrol :) we have the same problem here in iceland with the damn salt. My chassis is screwed from it :(

i need to do the same thing with my chassis you are doing. I just dont have a shop to do it!

What size of tires are you going for?

Im using 6” lift and 38” superswampers. Great offroad but very noisy on the road.

Next mod... LQ9 engine with a single turbo 450hp and 44” tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,111 Posts
Loving the build so far... Can't wait to see some more updates!

Reactions: Slo4x4
1 - 20 of 93 Posts