Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
While I was waiting for a car from a paint shop, I did not rest at all.
All the electrical installations was marked before it was pulled out from the car. Now the electrical installation had to be cleaned up and examined for some visible signs of error, only then can we tie the cables with new electric tape again.
I warpt the cables inside the bodywork with a textile tape for el. cable bundles, those that are on a chassis and in the engine compartment with a high quality insulating tape.

I also cleaned, sanded and painted the fuel tank during this time, and the dashboard was also renovatied.
The story around the dashboard is kind of like this. As soon as I put together a project in my head, I knew that I wanted a different car. In this difference, I also involved the interior, in which I wanted to enter my seal.
As far as I know, no Patrol GQ version was available in black interrior.
I simply wanted this in my car: cool:

Also, in general, the dashboard needed repairs, because the one from the original car also suffered the consequences of accident, while the other from the donor car had damaged padding.From two dashboard, I made up one good, painted it black, padded parts was changed to a leather by my colleague.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Of course, it was necessary to restore many other components of the car, such as steering wheel, door hinges, pedals, rings of light and all the way to the smallest piece of the carrier that went back to the car. Getting these parts up ...

Even tail lights and blinkers around the car were polished.

Meanwhile we also ordered all complete new plastics, plugs and rubbers, which were removed from the car before blasting. I do not have all the pictures of this. I must say that this stuff it's not cheap...Let's just say that the new plastic pins, with which we fix rubber gaskets around the door, stood 100 euros.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,085 Posts
The way you built the flares is fantastic, I've never seen it done like that before.

Reactions: Slo4x4

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes, I've seen that kind of manufacture before on internet, special on Jeep Wranglers, where they use a tube and on top of it a piece of sheet metal. Again, they usually use a ticker tube (hollow tube) but since I don't have soche equipment to bend tubes, I work with smaller (full)tube and bend it with oxyacetylene autogenous.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The first thing in the assembly of the car came to the line sound insulation. Before laying anti-vibration plates, the surfaces needed to be cleaned and degreased.

I think there were over 30kg of these plates: lol:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Quite of hours were pased that I've gotten the thing to this point... N.A.S.A. would be probably very proud on me ...: mrgreen:

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Then we protect the inside of the doors and rear side panels by Mike Sanders and continued with the assembly of the car. After laying out the all el.cables inside of a car, it was time to assembly of everything what it came under the dashboard.

Door assembly

... and then there were no picture left : mrgreen: ... The date of departure off my vacation (with this car of course) was approaching, and the time to take pictures, almost disappeared at once ...

The car was already assembled in 60%, when the side steps came into being of production. I decide for side steps from a practical reasons. Of course, there was also the role of aesthetics played here. Something that will match the width of the fender flares and will not be too big, something that will be practical and also robust.

After painting, I glued on steps 2x 5cm anti-slip straps.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Then there was time to make new ceiling lining. The original ceiling was torn and, of course, gray in color ...My colleague (great master of his work) made a wonderful product according to the old ceiling !! 8)

Before that, the ceiling had to be further insulated with a self-adhesive non-combustible foam with a closed cell structure of 8 mm thickness.
Unfortunately, in the shortage of time, this insulation was glued to the ceiling only, but it is planned to be laid elsewhere in the car

Me and my buddy Duško, meanwhile putting together the dashboard.

The internal protection of the door against weather and dust had to be done new ...

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Unfortunately, then again came a "crazy time" where was no time to take photos ... the list of works to be done before the departure was very long, but there was very few days left...

Picture just some day before going on a trip ...

And on the day that the "ice truck", named Mosafer (or musafir who in the Arabic, Persian, Hindi and Urdu languages means a traveler) saw the light of the world, and on the next day we went to 14,000km long adventure.

I tried the car only so much that I took it about 2km to auto optics and back.

To be continued... 8)

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,085 Posts
I've never been a fan of the color but that looks fantastic!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,443 Posts
I've never been a fan of the color but that looks fantastic!
Think the way the blacks been done really sets it off.
Im not normally a fan of tge black like that, but looks perfect on this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's very difficult to take photos of the color. It is really depending on the weather or light. The color is called Atomic Orange and in the sun it is poured from yellow to gold.

Let me continue with the story...

When car was finished, journey to Iran has happened.
I knew exactly from the beginning that we are going in 2018, but still...I will not lose words about how difficult it was for me in the last days, there was no trace in me about any energy at all ... then there was a psyche ... with an untested car on such a long journey?
To make it more interesting... I just figured out before the departure that the engine is in a very bad condition (pressure in the rocket cover).
Probably worn over the years, as well as the fact that the engine "sat" for two years, definitely did not make him a favor. But there are no paths back, the path is only forwards, and if something does occur, we will solve it promptly.

And the joy did not last long... Just about 30km from home, during the first fill up, we found out that the refrigerator was leaking. We sealed the leak a bit later ... a little later was Iran :grin:

Than a fan belt was scrapped in the middle of Serbia, as a result of a loose alternator. Yes, all this happens when you leave the workshop in a hurry after the renovation ... things are not checked, and in this case I forgot to tighten the alternator's bolts.

A little later, a noise from the wheel appeared in Turkey. This time, three wheel bolts were torn, three barely holding the wheel and almost destroyed the hub. Reason? The same ... before leaving, no one checked the tightness of the tire nuts ... :headwall:

It's good that this happened in Turkey, where you can with a little effort fix almost everything on Sunday evening, even though all the communication took place with the hands.
A man in the alley called some other man, who found six identical screws from some unknown car, then in a box with nuts, 6 corresponding nuts ... The only light we had was the one from the phone ...:party: Then this man grabbed me and take me to the other one with a welding machine. The hub was so damaged that the bolts did not stand by themselves in it.

About 3 hours later ...

It took just 4 hours to recover from malfunction .

Then the rest of the ride was running normal... a little control of the level of coolant, a little adjustment of the BOSCH pump that did not want to work properly... But meanwhile we can make some nice photos.

Apart from fixing a refrigerator from the Iranian master, there were no other faults on the car.

Except then there was another, quite a big problem ... The car started to burn oil. What did not go through the exhaust, it flowed in the streams along the outside of the engine. On top of everything, the warm engine did not even start up until cooled down. This means that at each shorter stop, such as filling the diesel, we were forced to wait about 20-30 minutes to cool down, then he start without a problem. Every 200km, we have poured 2 liters of oil into the engine ... I hope that some guy from "greenpeace" does not read this, but for the way to home, the engine has consumed 54 liters of oil.

However, let me say that, despite all the problems, "Mosi" has managed the whole path. From home to home. Just over 14 thousand kilometers.

Of course... it is a PATROL!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,443 Posts
Dam!!!! What a shake down trip.
I thought mine was bad enough, few hundred remote Kms straight after dual cab chop.

Thought my old MK patrol used to alot of oil, but it was even that bad.

Top effort mate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
The car was then on a short pause, with such a car, you can not go around, and it was also necessary to collect some money to restore the engine ... and this is how it started again.

The machine was literally completely destroyed.
Two compression rings were broken, two valve stem seals were gone, worn out conrod bearings (4 out of 6), worn-out suction valves ...
Cylinders did not show signs of excessive wear on my astonishment, they do not have any edges and they do not have any scratches. The crankshaft was not damaged and the measurements showed the allowed deviations. I also change water pump and all belts.

So I bought a set of engine seals, a head gasket, a set of bearings, new suction valves and pistons rings.

I also gave to restore the turbine, fuel injection pump and injectors.
The engine now has about 2000km behind and works like new.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The alternator gave up his obedience a little before the new year, but I do not blame him, he is already old, and meanwhile he done some serious ****... I changed all the key components, such is bearings, oil ring, regulator and diodes. I hope he is happy now :D

Then, almost at the same time, it started to happen that the car was difficult to start when the temperature was below 0 ° C. When starts, the unburned diesel smoked appears from the exhaust, and the running was quite "hard" about 15s, then he worked as usual. At temperatures above zero, it starts rapidly, but then running the same like before with very cold start.
I suspected that the glow plugs are bad and therefore ordered new ones.
Frustration occurred when, despite the change, there were no differences in operating.

So I took the car to the car electrician, where we together measure things, but we didn't find any kind of visual errors in the operation of the system.
He suggested switching to "ordinary" glow plugs, the same as the newer Patrol has, and triggering them on a button or time relay.
Well, I did not like this too much, although I know that such a system would correct the error.
On top of everything, without the knowledge of the cause, on occasion the car battery die in like two or three hours...

When I almost gave up on the cause, my friend Mitja offered to look again at the cause of the confusion.
We charged the battery and checked the operation and capacity of the tester (the battery is Exide dual AGM and still in the warranty). The test showed the complete inertness of the battery, so we were looking for the causes elsewhere.
Depending on the speed of discharging the battery, we suspected a larger consumer, and with the fact that something is not ok with glow plugs, we examined the relays. When reviewing these, we encountered the problem of one of the two relays serving the heating system.

The problem was the relay of the preheating of the glow plugs. He is once came in the wrong hands of the some "crazy dude", which is clearly defective relay, repair with some el. wire and solder to a relay (of course, with inadequate wire). I understand that the relay cost is almost 100 euros, but there are no shortcomings in such cases. I was lucky because I had another such relay from the previous car.
After changing the relay the car starts without problem, no matter off the outside temperature. The operation of a cold engine is also normal now.

till next time...:victory:

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,958 Posts
This is one of the most thorough car rebuilds I have ever read about. The detail and quality of work you have put into this Patrol are incredible.

This level of attention to detail is usually reserved only for extremely expensive show cars, most of which won't even travel 14,000km, let alone in their first trip.

You should be extremely proud mate, this Patrol is credit to you and everyone that's worked on it.

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Tnx mate ;) I'm glad you like it.

And yeah, without my friends, the car would not be the way it is today.:cool:

There is still a ton of things I would like to do on the car, but when you are driving it once, there is surprisingly no more time to work on the car at all :mrgreen:

41 - 60 of 93 Posts