Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says removal of the factory rear sway bar and links
have run into abit of trouble the drivers side has a bracket with 4 bolts but no where to unbolt the actual sway bar link and yes ik one side of people will say f the sway bars but i wanna be legally as im 17 and dont have many point and just wanna run a normal sway bar so i can have exteneted links

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You can unbolt the sway bar from the link pin and then remove the entire disconnect assembly including the cable that comes from the cabin, but if you’re wanting to then replace that assembly with a conventional link pin then you’re going to have to look at making up some sort of mounting to bolt the top of the link pin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can unbolt the sway bar from the link pin and then remove the entire disconnect assembly including the cable that comes from the cabin, but if you’re wanting to then replace that assembly with a conventional link pin then you’re going to have to look at making up some sort of mounting to bolt the top of the link pin.

hey mate cheers for the reply so it has no bar or linking pin on the passo side but the drivers side where the cable and box looking thing is there isnt a bolt ok the top of the link to remove is there something i am missin

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Superior Engineering sell a blanking plate for the space that the swaybar disconnect fills, so you can run a regular sway bar link instead. The price is pretty steep for what it is, though. If you're inclined, it wouldn't be too hard to make one yourself.

See attached image for the superior version I put under my GQ when I removed the broken disconnect.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

just posted a pic there i wanna remove all that i have bracket for just a normal style sway bar so i can run extension links

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superior Engineering sell a blanking plate for the space that the swaybar disconnect fills, so you can run a regular sway bar link instead. The price is pretty steep for what it is, though. If you're inclined, it wouldn't be too hard to make one yourself.

See attached image for the superior version I put under my GQ when I removed the broken disconnect.
hey mate yer i got a bracket same as that just different place only like 20$ just wanna know how i remove the setup that is there atm

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
If I remember correctly, it was just the four 10mm bolts around the base, the cable running into the dash, and the wiring clip for the gauge light.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I remember correctly, it was just the four 10mm bolts around the base, the cable running into the dash, and the wiring clip for the gauge light.

okay cheers mate ill have a crack tomorrow just didnt wanna **** around when i had no clue cheers mate

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The vertical link on the drivers side is part of the quick disconnect assembly. You take out the bolt at the bottom that connects it to the sway bar, then remove the whole assembly, and then replace it with your new standard style link pin and bolt it back up to your sway bar. You’ll need that adapter plate to secure the new link pin at the top. Just get under the car with some spanners and it will become crystal clear.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The vertical link on the drivers side is part of the quick disconnect assembly. You take out the bolt at the bottom that connects it to the sway bar, then remove the whole assembly, and then replace it with your new standard style link pin and bolt it back up to your sway bar. You’ll need that adapter plate to secure the new link pin at the top. Just get under the car with some spanners and it will become crystal clear.

yer idk how to removal it looks like the brackets has 4 bolts but isnt there normally a bolt on the top of the link?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
yer idk how to removal it looks like the brackets has 4 bolts but isnt there normally a bolt on the top of the link?
No, the top of the link is secured inside the unit by a pair of spring loaded jaws that are released when you pull on the cable, allowing it to slide freely inside that big plastic cover. When you take the unit out of the vehicle you will see that the plastic cover is held on with a heap of screws. Take all those out and take the cover off and you will see the inner workings. It’s actually quite a clever design, and you only need one side unsecured to disconnect the sway bar.
It is possible, once disassembled as I described, to then take the link bar out of the unit and extend it by cutting it close to the bottom and welding in a short extension to match your lift height. You have to keep the top and bottom sections, and you can’t weld in the top section where it has to slide through the locking jaws. A member on here some years ago was providing a welding service for this mod, but a local welder would be able to do it so long as you understand what has to be done.
When it’s dismantled, the locking mechanism will still be hanging from the cable. You would have to wire it up to a spot on the chassis to stop it dragging on the ground when you drive, until you get it put back together.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, the top of the link is secured inside the unit by a pair of spring loaded jaws that are released when you pull on the cable, allowing it to slide freely inside that big plastic cover. When you take the unit out of the vehicle you will see that the plastic cover is held on with a heap of screws. Take all those out and take the cover off and you will see the inner workings. It’s actually quite a clever design, and you only need one side unsecured to disconnect the sway bar.
It is possible, once disassembled as I described, to then take the link bar out of the unit and extend it by cutting it close to the bottom and welding in a short extension to match your lift height. You have to keep the top and bottom sections, and you can’t weld in the top section where it has to slide through the locking jaws. A member on here some years ago was providing a welding service for this mod, but a local welder would be able to do it so long as you understand what has to be done.
When it’s dismantled, the locking mechanism will still be hanging from the cable. You would have to wire it up to a spot on the chassis to stop it dragging on the ground when you drive, until you get it put back together.

lol i think ur missing my point i wanna **** the hole thing off how can i disassembled it when its still in the car i cant move it ???

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
lol i think ur missing my point i wanna **** the hole thing off how can i disassembled it when its still in the car i cant move it ???
I told you how, in post #2.
I also told you that the link pin is part of the whole thing, you don’t unbolt it at the top. Take the bottom bolt out that holds it onto your sway bar, and unbolt the 4 bolts at the top bracket, and the the whole lot will be swinging off the cable. You’ll have to figure out for yourself how to take the cable and lever in the cab out, cause I’ve not done that.
Have fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I told you how, in post #2.
I also told you that the link pin is part of the whole thing, you don’t unbolt it at the top. Take the bottom bolt out that holds it onto your sway bar, and unbolt the 4 bolts at the top bracket, and the the whole lot will be swinging off the cable. You’ll have to figure out for yourself how to take the cable and lever in the cab out, cause I’ve not done that.
Have fun.

so i have to take the hole cabel out just to get it out?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts