Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Patrol Heads,

I am a happy owner of a 2019 Nissan Patrol 4800 VTC, with a few off-road mods made to it. I have a 2" lift-kit installed with new coil springs from Lowells as well as BFGoodrich T/A KO2 tires. The car looks great and performs great off-road / on-road... Except from 75 - 85 km/h on the highway, where the car starts to wobble. It is really ignoring and I have tried to make the local tire shop make a balancing of the car, without positive results really.
Any ideas of what the heck is wrong ?

Where shall I start to look ?

Any good advice ?

Thanks guys

Br Mike

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
The GU is well known for it, this question has been asked and answered many times. There is Thread in the archives called 'death wobble final fix poll', it has the top 10 reasons for it as well as a lot of discussion. The thread can be found in post 15 of the ZD30DI archives (GU Y61 section, ZD30DI subsection in main menu).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mostly due to worn out bushes in the rods, especially in the front linking chassis and axle body, I believe it's called track bar if not mistaken. Other things you can look at are rims and Tyre conditions. In middle east Tyres get pretty beaten up by the sun and heat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@MikeY61 how many km's on it? As geeyoutoo said, the death wobbles is a well documented issue, but not something I'd expect on a Y61 that's barely 2 years old, unless if it's done a lot of miles in a short space of time.
Hi,
The car is only 9 month old, with 15.000 km on it. And it had the issues already when I purchased it back in May (7000 km at that time). 2 times wheel balancing and the Old Man Emu steering damper helped 95 % of the way, and now I only have the small area of 75-85 km/h left to remove.
Damper Y61 Old Man Emu.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mostly due to worn out bushes in the rods, especially in the front linking chassis and axle body, I believe it's called track bar if not mistaken. Other things you can look at are rims and Tyre conditions. In middle east Tyres get pretty beaten up by the sun and heat
Hi,
The car had this issue already from brand new, when the tires got changed and a new suspension was installed. It was 5 month old when I bought it, back in May 2020.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Check out the thread I mentioned, something has changed or possibly suffered damage when the work was done.

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 td4.2tdi
94 Posts
Hi Team,
my 2004 Gu3 also did this at low K's from new--wheel bearings needed adjusting using factory method and specs. done by Dealer at second service in Warranty.
Issue has never returned.
Your issue may be caused by something different like the swivel bearings loose, but I always start at the easiest things first.
Good luck with getting sorted--the threads mentioned above are a good starting point.
Cheers,
Eddie B.

·
Registered
nissan
339 Posts
Look at king pin bearings ( top and bottom ) , it may be as easy as removing the shim and it all goes away ............

·
Registered
2003 zd30 manual wagon
521 Posts
I find mine gets a bit of a wobble up when the tyre pressure is a little low.

Pump them up to 38 and good as gold.

Check the easy stuff 1st :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
You mean removing the shims completely ? Easy job ?
Mate, don't even think about removing shims completely, this can bring you undone in many ways. Work through one thing at a time starting with the cheap options, it is hard to tell if a panhard bush has gone, it could be weak but you may still not be able to wriggle it. You can jack up each side at the front to feel tie rod ends, wheel bearings and king pin play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts