Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y62
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum so please bear with me if I don't articulate my questions properly!

I am looking to slowly upgrade my Y62. I plan to start with either an OME 2" lift or a change in the rims and/or tyres.

My preference was to just update the rims first, let the tyres wear down further and then get some MTZ ATZ T3's. If I choose to replace rims with 18" rims, then my only question is, what is the maximum legal tyre size for this rim in QLD that will also fit under the car in the spare location? To be honest, finding the maximum wheel size is easy, its more hearing from others whether the larger wheels fit in the spare location.

Also, on the larger wheels, would I need the 2" lift before adding these larger wheels?

My final question is, has anyone tried 20" rims and wheels combinations and given the same concern around the spare, what has worked for others that have tried this?

I look forward to putting up pics as I go!

Cheers
JWL

·
Registered
nissan patrol
554 Posts
Hey mate, welcome.

You will find there is very minimal gap between the current factory wheel/tyre combo for where the spare goes. I decided to go kaymar rear bar therefore have the option of purchasing an arm(or two) if I decide to go down that path.

I been looking @ 20's too and reckon the cooper ltz in 20's may go well.

But no spare funds to support the change so like you I will wear the current ones out first and then consider the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
I plan on getting some aftermarket 17s and running 35s on mine with a 2 inch lift, no chance of fitting the spare so like patroly62 I'm going to need a rear bar.
How much was yours if you don't mind me asking patroly62?

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
About the 17's i've found out that not all Y62's can wear a 17" rim... Mine doesn't whereas a few of my friends' patrols do.... About the 20" rims they come standard I think on the T1 & T2 Y62's, well that's what we have here in the ME so Idk about anywhere else.

I'm currently saving up for the M/T ATZ P3's (305-70-R18) which are 35x12.5xR18, They're the last set in the shop and the only other option for an AT tire at 35" here is the Nitto Terra Grappler but they cost around $200 USD more for the set, so I'm going with the M/T as soon as I get the funds for it.

Tip: If you can't fit the spare under the car, Just through it on a roof rack ;)

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
I plan on getting some aftermarket 17s and running 35s on mine with a 2 inch lift, no chance of fitting the spare so like patroly62 I'm going to need a rear bar.
How much was yours if you don't mind me asking patroly62?

I have 35s [on my spare too] with a tow bar and the spare still mounted in the stock location, no shoe horn needed but there's no room left. I looked at 17s but I would need to grind down my brake calipers, which doesn't excite me.

This is a weird observation you all can check in your part of the world. I have noticed on Y62s in the UAE that some have a 4 piston front brake caliper and some have a 2 piston caliper. 2 piston calipers will accept the 17s without a grind, 4 piston will not. If you are curios, the easy way to see the different types is to check out the Infinity models (Y62) which all come with the smaller brakes up front. SO if you have poser mates with the Infinity model, you can give him some schtick ;)

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
Hi all I have just purchased a Y62 and have also been spending infinite hours searching for info.... What I have found which is interesting correct me if I am wrong but the Patrol/QX56 share their front suspension and Chassis with the current Nissan Titan difference being rear suspension suffrage that is from the Armada. This opens up a lot more options for suspension including possible bracket lifting! I personally am going to go 3 inch lift and 35inch tyres so when it arrives and I finish my wish list I will start a Build thread.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
One of the guys on here has fit 17s with no mention of grinding calipers, I believe around +25 offset rims, main reason I want 17s is its much cheaper and easier to find tyres than with the 18s, finding rims with a suitable size and offset is a bit of a mission though, next time I'm home I'll he sending off a lot of enquiries I think.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
Hi all I have just purchased a Y62 and have also been spending infinite hours searching for info.... What I have found which is interesting correct me if I am wrong but the Patrol/QX56 share their front suspension and Chassis with the current Nissan Titan difference being rear suspension suffrage that is from the Armada. This opens up a lot more options for suspension including possible bracket lifting! I personally am going to go 3 inch lift and 35inch tyres so when it arrives and I finish my wish list I will start a Build thread.
To my understanding, the front set ups are similar but not the same. Patrol has far greater suspension travel that Titan/Armada, I came from a 4x4 Armada into the Patrol.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
One of the guys on here has fit 17s with no mention of grinding calipers, I believe around +25 offset rims, main reason I want 17s is its much cheaper and easier to find tyres than with the 18s, finding rims with a suitable size and offset is a bit of a mission though, next time I'm home I'll he sending off a lot of enquiries I think.
I would like to go to 17s for the same reasons and saw that post that you are referring to, if you are thinking of the black steelies. Steel rims will [should] fit on without grinding because the walls are thinner but I reckon that with a little flexing they will touch the calipers. There wont be a lot of gap and regardless, I am not a fan of steel wheels on a vehicle of this weight.

I have read another thread where the guy had fitted smaller rotor and changed the calipers to fit, so he could get 16s on. I am not into this as a mod.

+25 offset doesn't ring right to me if the standard offset is -15. Most lifted set ups owners look to widen the track and not reduce it. The +25 story doesn't read correctly against facts, figures and physics. Maybe I misunderstood but you can dial in and look at the effects yourself Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
I was just running that number from my terrible memory, its probably miles off, I'll try find the original post and correct numbers.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts

OK looks like my memory wasn't so terrible after all, that's the car fitted with 17 inch steelies and the exact wheel details, was going to use this as a reference while searching for the wheels I want.

·
Registered
Nissan Y62 2013
179 Posts
OEM offset for the 18" rims is +18 not -15

Fitting smaller wheels and not touching the caliper isn't about the offset as the problem isn't with it touching the face of the caliper.... It's touching the top which is the inside of the rim's diameter...

I personally tried a method wheels 17" wheel with +18 offset but it just catched on to the caliper and when we tried to force turn it the rim was damaged from the inside so 17" is a no no for me..

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
That's where the extra offset is needed I'd say, by pushing the rim of the wheel outwards more it must clear the caliper, the car I referenced above is an Aussie spec car like mine obviously so if I match those details they'll fit.

·
Registered
nissan
133 Posts
I have heard a number of different numbers for offset, so I will organise myself to measure a wheel and make my own mind up. Someone from from Nissan gave me the -15 figure, I'd kind of guessed that he should have known the facts. Even so, at +18 and going to +25 it is still reducing the track and stability of the vehicle plus it reduces clearances at full steering lock. Not for me.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
You've got it back to front mate, adding offset increases the track, so going from a +18 to a +25 the wheels stick out further

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
You've got it back to front mate, adding offset increases the track, so going from a +18 to a +25 the wheels stick out further
No sorry, it seems a bit ass about the way they measure this but follow me here.

The offset is related to the centre face of the wheel hub in relation to the centre line of the rim.
0 offset means the wheel rim face where it bolts to the hub is at 0, i.e. at the centre line of the rim.
+ offset means it is positive i.e. out from the centreline of the rim
- means it is in from the centreline of the rim

SO a positive offset + means hub face on the wheel rim is positive, out from the centre line and the wheel sticks IN further than out.

Negative offset means the hub face of the wheel rim is negative to the centre line and the wheel will stick OUT further.

Now this all only relates to the rim centre regardless of how wide it is:
SO If you fit a wider rim or wider tyre, with the same offset rim it will still stick out more.
If you fit a wider rim and tyre and a more negative offset then it will stick out even more.
But if you fit a wider tyre/ wider rim and a + offset, it will stick in further and you can get it to the same outer track if that is what you want.

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
The afore mentioned car is wearing +25 17s with 35inch tyres that fit over the brakes...that's honestly all that matters to me...

·
Registered
nissan
770 Posts
Fair enough,

I think I even confused myself just trying to explain it.
Haha, to be honest when I wrote that reply I hadn't even read it, a poor couple nights sleep and a slow 12 hour day had left me exhausted, going to ring around a few places once I'm home again

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
It's a real shame our the local Australian Tyre suppliers don't carry their full ranges of tyres as there are heaps more options for 18s worldwide and seem to be about the same price as 17s. I would love a set of nice flat black fuel or xd rims on mine with 35s.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts