Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Got my 10,000km service down for this Friday and they've quoted me $357 for the service. It was booked for last Thursday but the floods here in Bundy put it off.

Thing is the girl on the phone says they only need it from 2pm to 4.30pm, a total of 150mins? So apart from dropping the oil and checking belts, what else should they be doing really?

The $357 is by their "fixed price servicing" thing too.

Cheers,

Pedro.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
my price would be about 280 pending wether its petrol or diesel and wether it has particulate filter or not

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Alot of people say it was only a oil & filter change but when i do a basic service i always check all the lights & wipers are working,check all the seatbelts are working correctly,lube the door hinges & door & bonnet locks,clean the air filter & empty the dust bowl,fill the washer bottle,check all the belts & ajust if needed,check all the underbonnet levels,check the battery levels & top up if needed,check & clean the battery terminals ,clean the aircond pollen filter if fitted,remove the wheels & check the brake pads,check all the driveline levels (sometime you have to remove underbody covers to get to everything) ,grease all the nipples,check the unis for play,check all the driveshaft bolts & nuts,check tyre pressures including the spare (a bugger to get to when the boot is full of stuff) ,check all the tyres for damage & for nails,have a good look underneath from front to rear,drain the oil,replace the filter,degrease all the stuff that the engine oil ran over when the filter was removed,replace the sticker,degrease the engine,road test the thing & all of this takes around a hour depending on what type of vehicle it is & how many extra's are fiitted that get in the way (extra batterys,etc) & give it to the detailer to wash,chamois & vacuum

As you can see even a basic service takes time to do even if you find nothing wrong with it

Ps Forget to add i also test your brake & clutch fluid quality with a flash little electronic tester,check your wheel bearings for movement & if the back of the wheel rims are full of mud or dust pressure clean it off as well

Regards Don

·
Creepy Lurker
nissan
542 Posts
Minor service for mine (01 3ltr) at Cleveland Nissan is around $330 and they have it for at least half the day. Your price seems normal but the time a little short?

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Alot of people say it was only a oil & filter change but when i do a basic service i always check all the lights & wipers are working,check all the seatbelts are working correctly,lube the door hinges & door & bonnet locks,clean the air filter & empty the dust bowl,fill the washer bottle,check all the belts & ajust if needed,check all the underbonnet levels,check the battery levels & top up if needed,check & clean the battery terminals ,clean the aircond pollen filter if fitted,remove the wheels & check the brake pads,check all the driveline levels (sometime you have to remove underbody covers to get to everything) ,grease all the nipples,check the unis for play,check all the driveshaft bolts & nuts,check tyre pressures including the spare (a bugger to get to when the boot is full of stuff) ,check all the tyres for damage & for nails,have a good look underneath from front to rear,drain the oil,replace the filter,degrease all the stuff that the engine oil ran over when the filter was removed,replace the sticker,degrease the engine,road test the thing & all of this takes around a hour depending on what type of vehicle it is & how many extra's are fiitted that get in the way (extra batterys,etc) & give it to the detailer to wash,chamois & vacuum

As you can see even a basic service takes time to do even if you find nothing wrong with it

Ps Forget to add i also test your brake & clutch fluid quality with a flash little electronic tester,check your wheel bearings for movement & if the back of the wheel rims are full of mud or dust pressure clean it off as well

Regards Don
Wow, thats a lot of things to check.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Don, where are you situated, I am sending my car to you for a service. Why can't people at Service Centre's give off fashioned service like that.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts

Regards Don
this is a usual practice for all services however i put the comp on and check for fault codes

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Well that buggered that idea of sending my Nissan to you. Not sending my Troll anywhere Toymota. Don't need thier germs thanks, lmao

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
No just kidding sometimes there are fault codes stored but normally it will bring on the check engine light as well or the cust will tell you that the check engine light or vsc or one of the other warning lights had come on at some stage

To be honest i probably should add this to the list though as it wont take to much time to do

The way to do all these things efficently it to have a sequence so you do all the clean stuff on the ground first (the cleaner your hands need to be to do a procedure such as writing & sticking on the service sticker the sooner you do it in the sequence) and than lift it up (only lift and lower it once) & do the dirty stuff last that way you dont have to wash your hands more often than needed and this will save a heap of time as well

Regards Don

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
Yeh u know customers mate they cant even watch there guages lol so thats y i just throw it on. Yeah ur right with doing up top stuff first specially with some of the rigs that come in.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Pedro the reason for the time may be because they will have 2 mechanics working on it instead of one.

Cheers ****.

nissan patrol y60
433 Posts
It is only a 1.7 hr service so if booking the day out correctly they should beable to get it back to u in 2-3 hrs

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
A lot of workshops try to make fixed appointments now with customers (like you would with a doctor) instead of saying "bring it in first thing & leave it for the day" and have each techs day already planned before the works starts (the service advisors look at the difficulty & time needed for each job and assign it to a tech (with the appropiate skill level) as they book it in )

Or for instance where i work at the moment (other than when we have enough work booked for the morning we ask if customers want to drop it in at lunch time) i know we will probably will be looking for work be about 2 pm tomorrow so if you phoned up today for a 2 hour service (on a low klm vehicle it is unlikly it will need anything other than the service and i would have asked you if there was any other problems when i booked it in) i would have said to being it in tomorrow about 2 pm & will will have it done by about 4.30

No point in telling you bring it in earlier as it would just sit there until around 2pm anyway and the last thing you want is 30 cars pulling up outside at 8am each morning & the same 30 people at the counter at 5pm picking them up

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
this is a usual practice for all services however i put the comp on and check for fault codes

Yep I do pretty much the same as these guys, minus sending it to the detailer part. I also clean the MAF sensor where fitted, and rotate and balance tyres and perform a wheel alignment if needed. Also I think having your vehicle serviced by someone who is passionate about 4wds and maintaining them makes a big difference.

·
Registered
nissanpatrol
28 Posts
Hi Guys,

Got my 10,000km service down for this Friday and they've quoted me $357 for the service. It was booked for last Thursday but the floods here in Bundy put it off.

Thing is the girl on the phone says they only need it from 2pm to 4.30pm, a total of 150mins? So apart from dropping the oil and checking belts, what else should they be doing really?

The $357 is by their "fixed price servicing" thing too.

Cheers,

Pedro.
Hi Pedro67,

Cost for service in Hervey Bay - $380 (bit of change left over) Same service in Maryborough $320. Depends on who you get and your ability to 'play the game'. ;)

As it stands both dealerships charge approximately $126 an hour so I am absolutley confident that a master technician completes the service as for this money they would surely not let an apprentice carry out the work :rolleyes:

Oh. one more thing. If you have it serviced privately, make sure the mechanic doesn't replace/lose the oil filter element holder. It costs $290 so just a quick heads up!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
Hi Pedro67,

Cost for service in Hervey Bay - $380 (bit of change left over) Same service in Maryborough $320. Depends on who you get and your ability to 'play the game'. ;)

As it stands both dealerships charge approximately $126 an hour so I am absolutley confident that a master technician completes the service as for this money they would surely not let an apprentice carry out the work :rolleyes:

Oh. one more thing. If you have it serviced privately, make sure the mechanic replaces the oil filter element holder. It costs $290 so just a quick heads up!

Regards,
John
I have to ask.............does the holder have to be replaced each time the filter is changed? If so why? Thanks
Anthony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts