Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

IM IN SHOCK
Power Balance bracelets exposed as a sham!!!!

A bracelet worn by high profile sports stars that claims to improve athletic performance has been exposed as a sham by the consumer watchdog.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has ordered Power Balance Australia to refund all customers who feel they were misled by the supposed benefits of Power Balance bracelets.

The wristbands were touted as providing better balance, strength and flexibility by working with the wearer's "natural energy field".

Illustration: Matt Golding.
English cricketers Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Strauss, AFL bad boy Brendan Fevola, St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt and NRL star Benji Marshall have all been known to wear the bracelets.

But ACCC chairman Graeme Samuel said in a statement: “Power Balance has admitted that there is no credible scientific basis for the claims and therefore no reasonable grounds for making representations about the benefits of the product.

“Its conduct may have contravened the misleading and deceptive conduction section of the Trade Practices Act 1974," Mr Samuel said.

"When a product is heavily promoted, sold at major sporting stores and worn by celebrities, consumers tend to give a certain legitimacy to the product and the representations being made."

The bracelets currently sell for $29.90 on the company's website, down from $60 earlier in the year.

Mr Samuel also warned that retailers that continue to sell the products with misleading advertising or packaging would be open to action from the ACCC.

Last month an independent review panel that deals with complaints about breaches of the therapeutic goods advertising code found that powerbalance.com.au violated the code.

Power Balance acknowledged it had breached the code and said the relevant claims had been removed from its website.

The company was also named in this year's Shonky awards.
Consumer advocate group Choice found the bracelets were just rubber bands with plastic holograms.

"The band was tested at CHOICE under controlled lab conditions which showed it did little else than empty purchasers' wallets," Choice said in October.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
So, will i have to put mine in the bin with my hyclones and brockies fuel saver crystal thingo?

Today is a sad, sad day...

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Another one to shatter my dreams
Spiderman,Superman,Wonderwoman,The Green Lantern,Bugs Bunny even
There all fake
Now this to
What am i to do

Please dont tell me Santa is a fake as well
Ill be devestated

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
When I see people are so gullible to believe in crap like this, I don't feel a bit sorry for them. If they are that stupid to pay for such fairy tale based products they deserve to be taken advantage of!

I actually think they are being done a service. It s a cheap lesson/ wake up call to their stupidity and might save them from something like loosing their home or life savings on a bigger rort.
I don't feel sorry for them either - but think of it this way - if they've never been taught to be sceptical... why shouldn't they believe?

My uncle is a monk of types who lives in India meditating as he believes positive energies that are put on to the quantum plane are responsible for thereduciton of crime in some cities. He also has faith that when he meditates he is levitating - so they put padding on the walls and cielings of their meditation units.

He thinks the rest of us are the ignorant.. can't argue with faith.

I suppose what i am saying is - i can understand how people are sucked in...

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
truckster, you have way to much spare time on your hands buddie.
We are not allowed to make any system changes until Jan 4th :D:D:D:D
What a ****ing boring few weeks it will be :(
but I have done a new website for the club, working on photo galleries, and ****

·
Registered
473 Posts
Please dont tell me Santa is a fake as well
Ill be devestated
Hmmmmm....... Well, sorry to have to be the one to tell ya this, but ahhhm,

Are you sitting down ????

OK, well here goes.... Santa is a fa........... :oops: :sorry:

On second thoughts, no, I just can't do it.. Wouldn't want to be responsible for anybody getting depressed or anything :shock: :shock:

Maybe when you're a bit older, we'll have a little chat...........................

:mrgreen: :santa: :eyepoke: :toothmis: :evillaug:

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
"Mummy Mummy,
That bad man says Santa s a fake" !!!

"Its ok son, the rain has affected his brain"

Ner ner
Mummy says your wrong
Har har

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
They do work! I have to keep mine on all the time or I keep falling over!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
They do work! I have to keep mine on all the time or I keep falling over!
Do you take yours off to drink? I find i only fall over when i'm not wearing mine too!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"Mummy Mummy,
That bad man says Santa s a fake" !!!
yes, but if he is dead, that means there will be spares around

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
What you talking about Bruce? I'd love to play with those elves!!!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What you talking about Bruce? I'd love to play with those elves!!!
the playing is just beginning at this end

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Nah my mate one his basketball grand final cos of the balance bracelet.

I dont believe its a scam. :hmm:

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

In some ways crap like this may work, because the idiots that buy it believe it works and will try harder to prove it. I also reckon most would have a commodore and eat at maccas. A lobotomy or enema would be the same result for them IMO. ( both would reduce their IQ )

Regards B M

1 - 20 of 27 Posts