Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some help with this one. i checked my dipstick yesterday after the car sat level all day. Pulled out the stick and it was pretty much dry. Freaked out as expected and did an oil change today and about 8 ltrs came out of the sump. Any reasons why the dipstick would be dry but had about 8 ltrs in sump still?? I dont wont to overfill with new oil by judging from the dipstick though

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's odd. Perhaps you have the wrong dipstick and it's too short, or perhaps the dipstick wasn't pushed all the way in?

(By the way, I'm not trying to start a debate about the length of blokes dipsticks!)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
37 Posts
On mine (93 TD42) there's about 2L between top and bottom of the dipstick, it takes 11L of oil with the oil cooler, so yours sounds about right.
The oil was probably just below the end of the dipstick.
Or as suggested above wrong dipstick.

·
Registered
nissan
109 Posts
yeah mate, i have the same problem here. just did an oil change today and pulled out 8lts too. note if your rig is slightly lower in the rear end, itl show higher on the dipstick. had me worried at first but after NUMEROUS oil changes and every time draining 8lts, ive learnt not to worry. i only freak when the oil pressure changes!!

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all that guys. Got a bit worried and didnt want any long term problems out of it. The old girl runs like a charm and gets excellent fuel economy so dont want to wreck anything. All good for now though. Thanks heaps

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
my old bus does the same thing lol

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
As mentioned theres bugger all between minimal reading and full on dipstick
Best bet ensure that the dipstick has a good reading,preferably up near full
IF your getting no reading, dont ever assume shell be right, add some oil straight away
Seen the price to rebuilt these motors

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
8 litres in sump! Mine takes atleast 10-11 litres with filters. Are you only putting 8 litres in when changing?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Both mine are always spot on at 11.0L

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
a mate bought a magna and it had the wrong dip stick in, he ended up dropping 8 litres of oil from it as he just thought it was burning lots and kept topping it up. It ran like a bucket of **** with that much oil in it also

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
The early Austin 1800's had the wrong dipstick from the factory. It was too long, which meant the engine was low on oil all the time....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts