Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st-l gu3 4.8
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i recently bought a 2005 nissan patrol 3.0l. It seems to struggle majorly even on the slightest of inclines when below 2000rpm..once it passes 2000rpm it kinda drives alright.
It's a manual so in 1st gear it ain't to bad being a shot gear but say in 4th gear at 1500 rpm there is barely any acceleration. car has 2" lift and 33s.. does this sound normal?

also thinking about doing an exhaust n chip. should this help down low torque?

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
501 Posts
The 3.0l likes to rev a bit before it makes any torque, I have a DI 3.0l and the sweet spot for mine is between 2500 and 3000 revs.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Yep, that's a std ZD30 alright, takes a bit of work to move the torque output down lower and make the transition from torque to Hp smooth :). But it is achievable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as its achievable im happy...
But as much as I read about these silly things the more confused I get...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put a 3" exhaust on it last night. Big improvement. Heaps better to drive still a little sluggish down low but im pretty happy. Can't wait to do a chip

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
55 Posts
my gu4 has a turbo back exhaust,aftermarket intercooler and k&n filter at this stage, and it will easilly accelerate and gain speed up hills under 2k rpm...no rocket ship but it will happily plug along.
doing the dawes/needle and egr block shortly so i can only see it getting better :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Put a 3" exhaust on it last night. Big improvement. Heaps better to drive still a little sluggish down low but im pretty happy. Can't wait to do a chip
Did you read the info I directed you to????? You don't mentioned the basic very important stuff for a DI, like EGT and Boost gauges or the Dawes and Needle........ The latter improves the linear climb of the boost and makes a heap of difference down low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts