Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

i need your help!

Patrol was sitting around for a month and wouldn't start.
Turned out to be a dead battery.

So new Optima D27F thrown in and drove it home with no issues.

Now 2 days later, i go to start it and no luck.
Battery was charged on arrival on a ctek 5.0 charger.

Its showing same symptoms as a low battery but battery is fine.
The starter motor is not turning over and i get these clicking sounds, sometimes my dash lights flash until i turn the key to off.

My Ecutalk stopped working months ago :(

Thanks
Sam

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
First thing I would try is giving the battery terminal connectors a good clean. There are little Christmas tree like wire brushes you can get from Repco etc that are great for this.

Once satisfied that the battery posts and connectors are good, I would check your earth has good contact with the body / engine / chassis.

With a bit of luck this will get you back up and running.

Attachments

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I would try is giving the battery terminal connectors a good clean. There are little Christmas tree like wire brushes you can get from Repco etc that are great for this.

Once satisfied that the battery posts and connectors are good, I would check your earth has good contact with the body / engine / chassis.

With a bit of luck this will get you back up and running.

Thanks Try Blu,

I Cleaned the terminals up and as soon as i reconnected the battery, My Redarc Solenoid kicked on.

turned the key and she started first go.

I need to get my Earths replaced, has been on the list but haven't come across anyone to do the work.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
812 Posts
most patrols suffer bad earths
check the neg lead from battery neg post to where it bolts to the body just under the battery
ive had to clean up this connection in about 20 patrols

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4 wagon
392 Posts
What kind of redarc solenoid do you have because they shouldn't kick in until the battery gets to about 13.5 volts and you will need the engine running for that.

·
Registered
nissan
217 Posts
My optima will float at 14.5v after a charge for a few days if not driven. Given that he only drove it home still could be well over 13.5v at battery in the morning

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My optima will float at 14.5v after a charge for a few days if not driven. Given that he only drove it home still could be well over 13.5v at battery in the morning
Optima was floating above 13.5V when i connected the battery back up thats why the redraw solenoid kicked on.
The bad connection due to buildup in the terminals stopped the car drawing enough current hence the no start.

NEW ISSUES

I'm now having issues a week after changing fuel filter and installing Bogaard glow plug timer.

Car is at the mechanics and apparently no power to glow plugs or injector pump. would it be the NATS kicking in as car has been there for a week now?
There was power going to them the other day when i was down there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last starting issues were due to the one thing I feared most, a failed injector pump.

Bogaard timer had its own issues as it was feeding a positive signal instead of a negative signal to the glow plug relay which a relay fixed and power to the injector pump and harness were fine.

maf was reading lower than others and replaced. Car is running better than ever with all my mods nearly fitted and a new injector pump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts