Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day guys,
My idler pulley/ belt started squeeking at low rpm with a bit of load on the engine, for example picking up speed after a roundabout.
Took it to my mechanic and said its a big job to replace the whole tensioner and belt and to wait untill it gets worse or before the next big trip.
Should i just get it over with and replace it or is it still safe with some squeeks? I do a lot of beach driving so i really dont want to get stuck with no way out...

Cheers!

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
70 Posts
Good day guys,
My idler pulley/ belt started squeeking at low rpm with a bit of load on the engine, for example picking up speed after a roundabout.
Took it to my mechanic and said its a big job to replace the whole tensioner and belt and to wait untill it gets worse or before the next big trip.
Should i just get it over with and replace it or is it still safe with some squeeks? I do a lot of beach driving so i really dont want to get stuck with no way out...

Cheers!
G’day @Freddy.surf I did mine recently on the DI. I thought I’d let it go for a while but it just got worse quickly.
I would get it done sooner rather than later and make sure you use genuine parts. Trust me on that one. Bolt tensions are crucial and I also used locktite on them

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,812 Posts
Actually did a write up on it in my build thread, link in signature, but there are plenty of threads on it.

·
Registered
TD42 conversion done with blood, sweat and beers
283 Posts
Hey mate @Freddy.surf it's not a big job at all, it can be done from underneath the car after you remove the lower radiator shroud (skinny curved plastic bit that clips onto the bottom of main part of the shroud) using a breaker bar and a socket (can't remember the size offhand, I think it was 17mm?) to take up the tension to get the belt off the pulley. Then just unbolt the tensioner and replace it, put belt back on and replace lower shroud- job done.
It looks like a tight fit but it can definitely be done.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,581 Posts
Hey mate @Freddy.surf it's not a big job at all, it can be done from underneath the car after you remove the lower radiator shroud (skinny curved plastic bit that clips onto the bottom of main part of the shroud) using a breaker bar and a socket (can't remember the size offhand, I think it was 17mm?) to take up the tension to get the belt off the pulley. Then just unbolt the tensioner and replace it, put belt back on and replace lower shroud- job done.
It looks like a tight fit but it can definitely be done.
CRD is 19mm Did mine recently took around an hour, used genuine part. The longer the breaker bar the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts