Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
As far as I know all the engine internals stay the same except for the pistons, rings and rods.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Turbo pistons
Heads off so turbo precomps
turbo oil squirters

if ya can find a turbo crank then run it but have not seen true evidence that there stronger if at all

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
iv just done it with out the going to a turbo crank, I bought turbo pistons, new liners, used the standard rods, had the head rebuilt and used turbo oil squirters(longer) and a upgraded oil pump

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Please talk about this upgraded oil pump, whilst I have heard this once before

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
21mm oil pump, guessing its from a factory turbo TD42 , has more teeth, coming from a gq td motor 18mm oil pump ,id consider it an upgrade along with the turbo squirters

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Yep had one in my comptruck motor before I stripped it.was hardly worth the effort or cost

·
Registered
nissan patrol
151 Posts
in the scheme of things I paid just over 400 dollars for squirters and the pump.if your going to turbo charge a non turbo td its a worth while investment

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
So if I was chasing 140-150kw would not bother with the rods.?

What about the oil squirters if you are running ceramic coated pistons would you bother?
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
184 Posts
if the motor runs and works fine now and you just want 140-150 just leave the motor stock. Even the weaker blacktop n/a motors should be fine at that power level. Just get a good turbo, 11mm GU pump, water meth injection, cooler , exhaust, intake manifold lift and good tune and ull be fine. I seen some youtube vids of a blokes n/a blacktop motor with 30psi through it and 500,000km and it was fine. You wont need that much boost to make that power and with low egts I think ull be ok.

·
nissan
7,539 Posts
Dan there is plenty of 150kw blacktops getting around..... the rods are the same the strength is in the piston crown. If your running turbo pistons then run the oil squirters to suit as these cool the crown the most efficiently.

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
if the motor runs and works fine now and you just want 140-150 just leave the motor stock. Even the weaker blacktop n/a motors should be fine at that power level. Just get a good turbo, 11mm GU pump, water meth injection, cooler , exhaust, intake manifold lift and good tune and ull be fine. I seen some youtube vids of a blokes n/a blacktop motor with 30psi through it and 500,000km and it was fine. You wont need that much boost to make that power and with low egts I think ull be ok.

Sounds good - I had it dynoed and it made 83kw ATW with 33's and was told that I could get a little more. It would not be worth it as it is at a safe tune now. EGT's stay very low as the highest I have had is 500 degree pre turbo ( 48 degree day going up hills fully loaded for 500km)

Also running 15psi.

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey mick, nope u know what it's like once u have a td42 it's hard for anything else to take its place. I'm going to do an engine swap, I'm picking up a 99 black top next Sunday and will rebuild it to turbo spec.
Not in a rush so will just buy everything I need over a period of time and once I have everything I'll rip the crd out and make a start

1 - 16 of 16 Posts