Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here done a conversion on a standard Gq bar to a winch bar?
I have the equipment and material to build a cradle to suit, I just want to know if it's a safe thing to do to a non winch bar, that I'm not going to cause serious damage to my car?
I just can't justify buying a ARB bar that looks just like mine only with the winch cradle...

·
Registered
nissan
161 Posts
I have. Had a qualified bar maker convert mine. It's rock solid and I'm happy with it. Just put in extra bracing and yeah. I can't complain. .. currently got rollers and steel cable on my winch but it was designed to adapt better for a alloy Hawse and rope

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Do a search this subject has been covered.

I had a tigrez cradle mount between the chassis rails on the gq (the chassis rails dont extend far enough out to enable a cradle to be mounted to the top). I had 10 mm right angle brackets made up, the brackets mounted to the rear of the cradle and bolted to the chassis.

The cradle sat in side the alloy bar, with a hole cut though the bar for the fair leigh and to provide cleance for the drum.

I have also seen plans for a U shaped bracket that mounted to the chassis rail, that the wich bolted too - the clutch assembl;y on the winch was rotated - to enable the cable to comout between the mounting bolts on the winch

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think its simpler to build the cradle and attatch to chassis rail. I got a second hand arb bull bar for my current lux and chucked the gay mounts and made my own. Then a year on I made a cradle that bolted between chassis rails and holds winch. Prefer the idea of the winch pulling on and inline with the chassis.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I want to do this to my GQ with factory alloy bar. GQ Tank, have you got any pics of what you did and how it turned out?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the closest thing I have found is what looks like install instructions for an arb winch bar, that gives a semi detailed picture. Just trying to convert this picture to a flat pattern, so I can get it laser cut and folded to go on the chassy. Hopefully it turns out the way I'm hopeing for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts