Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a mate with a zd30 di he rang to tell me there is a knock in his motor but the car idles fine? Yous are a smart bunch anyone got any ideas without hearing it? Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Hi all, I have a mate with a zd30 di he rang to tell me there is a knock in his motor but the car idles fine? Yous are a smart bunch anyone got any ideas without hearing it? Thanks in advance
All the smart people are away at the moment. So I'll try, Mate, this could be anything, the rule of thumb is conrod bearings rattle and big end bearings knock, these things are unbreakable at the bottom so I would be very surprised if it was that unless some other catastrophe has happened to the vehicle, like overheating, etc.

Is the knock only at idle, this could mean maybe a harmonic balancer key has karked it, so you can see our dilemma, there are a hundred things, more info please.

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud...all good crisis averted dropped round there and its just the bearing in the idler tensioner haha much better result though! Sounded like a helicopter with knock. Bearing is shot. Thanks heaps again got to love the site its a wealth of knowledge.:D

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Ah, yes a not uncommon thing, there is a thread in the ZD30DI archives in maintenance threads re repairing the tensioner, if you are pulling it out I would give it a good going over to make it last for many more years.

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He has ordered a new set up as mine also went recently and I suggested it as the bush may start to squeal like mine did. Bastard of a thing those tensioners bet you they have rattled many before. We didnt initially suspect it as the knovk sounded internal related.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Ah, yes a not uncommon thing, there is a thread in the ZD30DI archives in maintenance threads re repairing the tensioner, if you are pulling it out I would give it a good going over to make it last for many more years.
Tensioners ----- not worth trying to extend life etc .... they are on Ebay for 60 bucks or so.

Cheap enough to be a thow away item ... carry one in the box as a spare..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Drive-Be...08?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cd88048fc
\
Cheers

·
Murphys Law magnet
nissan patrol 08 model
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
obviously not my mate... whilst trying to undo the ceased bolt slipped and smashed return for auto of the tank.... new radiator for him.. one of those Fark me moments:headwall:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
obviously not my mate... whilst trying to undo the ceased bolt slipped and smashed return for auto of the tank.... new radiator for him.. one of those Fark me moments:headwall:
Whoops, some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed ;).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts