Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

I noticed the my Patrol isn't level at the front when I was adjusting the headlights. There is a difference of 3cm between the left and right side, the driversside (left) is the lowest. I've had new leaf springs placed, so my first thought was that both sides were swapped. Although when installing them, they both measured the same. So I swapped them around but unfortunately without the desired result. Still a difference of 3cm.
I also checked if the shackles could rotate freely in the bushes, no problem with that. Removed the shocks but still no improvement.
To make sure there's no fault in the bodywork, I made some measurements of the chassis. As this is narrower, the difference is only 1.5cm but still too big.
Anyone has any idea what can cause this unbalance? If it was the other way around, this would make sense to compensate the drivers' weight. But now it just gets worse.
It looks like the load on the left spring is higher but what causes this higher load?

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
I had the same problem before I got my springs reset. In my case I put it down to having 2 batteries (my second battery is mounted on the rear drivers guard), the transfercase, and the driver all on the same side, and virtually nothing on the passenger side (RHD). Not sure about your case as the transfer is on your passenger side since yours is LHD. The way we solved mine though was just put the 2 springs that were reset highest on the right hand side to compensate, but yours is a strange case as the transfercase is on your higher side. If yours is 24v it won't be a battery as there's one on each side, and if it's 12v it depends on what side the battery is on (they can be on either, not sure what it depends on though) but even a battery shouldn't make 3 cm of difference. Does it seem to sag most at the front or rear?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The difference at the rear is smaller, only about 1cm which can be caused by the front springs in my opinion. The car is stock, 24v dual battery system with one battery on each side and as you mentioned, this can't cause so much difference.
Both shackle angels aren't equal,so there is much more weight on the left side. But I can't think of a reason why the car would be heavier on the left side, even with the transfercase on the right side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts