Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Not sure if this is in the correct section

I have a 2007 Patrol with a ZD30 3l td, I noticed it struggling to start a few times and then it just wouldn't start.

It turn's over and the whole engine shakes, it wines up and down than it'll just kick over and start but punches out a big puff off black smoke.

I asked around different mechanic's and even auto electrician's and they all said sound's like glow plug's, Well I just changed them and you'd swear I didn't do anything, No difference what so ever.

Has anybody else had this issue or any idea's on what it could be.

Cheers Doug

·
Registered
Nissan
44 Posts
Hey doug... Once it does start is it running fine? Or is it pumping smoke and engine shakes violently in the engine bay?
Mine done a similiar thing, took ages to start (talking minutes of cranking) then once finally started just pumped out black smoke, was VERY sluggish and very rough idle shaking around louds.
I ended up having a head gasket gone, cracked piston and head. Hopefully yours isnt the same. If youve changed the glow plugs thats strange. May help to get a compression test carried out and that should eliminate most of the above.
All the best bud
Shano

·
Registered
309 Posts
You may find you're having a similar issue to me and the engine is hydrolicing due to a cracked head or head gasket. When you try to start do you find the engine barely fires and stops?

Leroy

·
Navara, Patrol's little brother
920 Posts
Check the 2 brown relays under the dash, just above the fuse box. I've seen them fail and not allow the ecm to power up. Swap the 2 brown relays and see if it starts.

They're the same relay, so it wont do any damage.

2007 are Common rail in Australia.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and got a diagnostic test this morning and they said it is a crank angle sensor,

It shakes and carries on but once it starts it runs perfect or once I clutch it its fine, it's just the starting.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts