Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's,

I have a 2007 Patrol with a ZD30 3l td, I noticed it struggling to start a few times and then it just wouldn't start.

It turn's over and the whole engine shakes, it wines up and down than it'll just kick over and start but punches out a big puff off black smoke.

I asked around different mechanic's and even auto electrician's and they all said sound's like glow plug's, Well I just changed them and you'd swear I didn't do anything, No difference what so ever.

Has anybody else had this issue or any idea's on what it could be.

Cheers Doug

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
First up I would check the fuel primer bulb on the filter head, if that is soft and takes several pumps to make it hard then you could have air in the system and then you need to find out why, losse hose clamp etc. Then, before panicking, change the fuel filter, carefully making sure you bleed out all the air in doing so before starting.

Just a thought, but have you made sure that you have power to the glowplug busbar? there could be a fault with a fuse or the relay.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fuel bulb takes 2 pump's to get hard, where will the fuse and relay be located as the 1 in the engine bay has no fuse in glow and not sure where relay is.

·
Registered
Nissan
94 Posts
Just remembered that I also changed the battery and starter motor. Mechanic said something about the fuel injection being sensitive to rpm, needs to achieve a minimum crank speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the battery checked and they said it's working like new, the other thing is clutch it and start's now problem and run's perfect once running.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Just put a multimeter on the busbar and turn the ignition on to see if power is there, don't worry about the fuse or relay until you have tested whether you have power there or not.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
The injectors need to seal up to allow the fuel rail to reach a certain pressure before the ECU will fire an injector. If your injectors leak, they won't allow the fuel rail to get pressure and the motor will be very difficult to start.

Mine would start when cold after quite a while cranking, but would not start at all when warm. It was the injectors leaking.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Fark! Thats not what mine sounded like. Have you got water in the ECU or sensors or anything like that?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
The ECU sits just on top of the trans-tunnel under the dash, could the water have got that high?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
Could you have **** fuel?

Otherwise I'm outta ideas

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
I diffed out in a bog hole but water only come up to my ankle's, where's the ECU
ECU is under the dash on the transmission tunnel so no water would get to there if you were ankle deep. Mate simply eliminate the easy things first as suggested before you complicate things, otherwise you get nowhere very fast.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing that confuses me is it clutch's fine and run's perfect once started.

Ill get the bus bar tested in the morning

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
If it runs perfect after starting then it ain't the bus bar

EDIT: And it won't be the bus bar because there was no skip in the starter, its just miss firing like a mother ****er until it gets warmer or revs pick up.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another guy said Blocked fuel filter or dirty air flow meter, if it was any of these it would run bad as well??

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
If it runs perfect after starting then it ain't the bus bar

EDIT: And it won't be the bus bar because there was no skip in the starter, its just miss firing like a mother ****er until it gets warmer or revs pick up.
With out all the info in one hit all I was suggesting is a series of simple checks to rule things out before it gets too complicated. The Busbar was just one of them on the info of the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts