Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been discussed a bit. Just so you know I'm not making this up my sister owns a franchise of a large tinting co.
She recently had a highway patrol member in to get a quote to tint 30 cars at which time she asked about the equipment they test tint with. He pulled a card out of his wallet which has a color on it, if unable to see this through the window then illegal, he said it's embarrassing to use. Yes they did and my sister still has the proper machine but inaccurate due to need adjusting.
Legal tint is now 35% all round except windscreen.
Commercial vehicles can be darker on rear passengers and rear.
Yes you can get darker, but no receipt given as it's at own risk. Me I have 18%

·
Registered
nissan
447 Posts
is her shop down here shane i may need tint very soon (nancy)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nancy, up here on the coast, come up for a day and get it done,
Yes you can get cheaper, but I know with my sister it's quality.

·
Registered
nissan
1,271 Posts
I thought in wagons etc you could have darker than T35 in the cargo area only ? (as you can stack camping gear etc up to the roof, so you can't see out of the back windows anyway, not to mention the third row seats in the upright position)

Also be interested to know if a window sock over T35 tint would be enough to fail the test ?

·
Registered
nissan
230 Posts
I thought in wagons etc you could have darker than T35 in the cargo area only ? (as you can stack camping gear etc up to the roof, so you can't see out of the back windows anyway, not to mention the third row seats in the upright position)

Also be interested to know if a window sock over T35 tint would be enough to fail the test ?
Sadly it doesn't work in either QLD or NSW, the laws states all windows. My old man got done for it on the back side windows of his falcon wagon.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A4b
Vans such as the Hyundai IMAX which also come as commercial can and also utes can have dark tint. It's not so much that you can't see out, more so that police can't see in, eg how many in car- there safety,
I don't think sock would because can take it off there and then.
I will clarify more for you all.

·
Autos are Superior
11,601 Posts
Sadly it doesn't work in either QLD or NSW, the laws states all windows..
Yep, this was disucssed recently in a Vic thread as they have been doing the same here with busting people for tinted windows...

I wanted to get my cargo area blacked out too :(

·
Registered
nissan
1,271 Posts
I see..... so that means all those cars with vehicle wrap vinyl signage on the back windows (even if perforated) would also be illegal !

Perhaps the law is because in theory, you could always remove what you carry in the cargo area to drive at night, but you can't just remove the tint ?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
I see..... so that means all those cars with vehicle wrap vinyl signage on the back windows (even if perforated) would also be illegal !

Commercial vehicles can black out the windows... Private vehicle cannot.

The question is, what about factory privacy glass?

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
Privacy glass doesn't let 35% visible light through - therefore it doesn't comply with adrs... hence why it's only on the rear passnenger and cargo windows... my point is there is a grey area in the law which allows privacy glass to be from the manufacturer, but you can't do it aftermarket yourself... legally.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, factory glass tint in no where bear the t35, I asked my sister whether putting the 35 on cars with factory tint makes it illegal, answer- no.
It is also about uv's- which is 97-99% uv protection.
Signage is commercial,
Look at those cars that have bubbles or a tint that faded, they are shockers to look out of.

You can also have a strip across windscreen no more tha 10% of screen.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,855 Posts
I think your sister is wrong mate... ADRs state that at least 35% of the VISIBLE light must get through the glass. this mewans that if your factory tint allows 75% visible light tranmission, you can only put on tint of such darkness to bring it down to a minimum of 35%. The UV ratings has nothing to do with the legality of the tint.

There is no way that it would be legal to put tint on a car (such as a prado) which has factory privacy tint as the window alreadyl blocks more than 65% visible light.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Have I mentioned the co name or location- no. Passing on information that's all.
Shane, maaaate... he's not having a go at you. It is just that that particular line in your post is gut bustingly funny when read in a different context.

If you have a look several people on the Forum have used quotes from others in their "Sig Lines" that automatically appear below their posts.

"Yes you can get cheaper but I know with my sister it's quality" apart from being the potential state motto for Tasmania stands a good chance of geting international recognition in the Guiness BooK of Records top 10 list of "We Know What You Meant But... "

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,799 Posts
I had tried tint way back when I got my first LWB Y61 in Dubai. I had gold tint fitted even on the front window screen. I recall ripping it half way during the day in the desert. Then when I got my new Patrol they tinted every window in 100% panther black for security reasons. It was removed before I asked for the keys.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
976 Posts
If a window sock is OK because you can take it off there and then, why not just wind down your dark tinted windows?

I've seen 4x4's in the Territory out Tanimi way that would be lucky to have 10% untrinted windscreen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.