Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week the NSW government introduced changes that limited GVM upgrades to the axle limits imposed by the original manufacturer. This can only be altered with written approval from the original manufacturer or by replacing the axle assemblies with uprated items suitable for Australian conditions.

Original GU axle limits are 1500kg on the front and 1800kg on the back.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wonder how hard the whole axle upgrade thing is. Dana 60’s on a GQ would be a much better upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
There is a patrol h260 rear diff that is good for 2600kg with 12 bolt center
Come in a few patrols over the years

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
There is a patrol h260 rear diff that is good for 2600kg with 12 bolt center
Come in a few patrols over the years
But probably only rated with a leaf set up. Were they ever in a coil vehicle because I thought leaf's were always rated higher anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
106 Posts
But probably only rated with a leaf set up. Were they ever in a coil vehicle because I thought leaf's were always rated higher anyway.
Yep heaps come out as semi floating coil
I have one in my gq and engineering to 3495kg in vic with gu front diff and h260 rear diff and coil towers braced front and rear

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Were they ever in a coil vehicle
There have been H260 rear axles in a few ZD30 GU wagons but I have not worked out what was special about them to justify the big diff. I think you are right though that the higher rated axle was only on leaf rear utes. I think the H260 rear axle in the GU wagon is still only rated at 1800kg.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
There have been H260 rear axles in a few ZD30 GU wagons but I have not worked out what was special about them to justify the big diff. I think you are right though that the higher rated axle was only on leaf rear utes. I think the H260 rear axle in the GU wagon is still only rated at 1800kg.
That was also round about what I was getting back. Same diff in different applications so I imagine as soon as it's in a coil GU it will be deemed only 1800 kg regardless what it is rated to in a leaf set up. It sounds like an engineer can't even reclassify it if it is the same axle and good luck getting any manufacturer to give you an upgraded rating on any component they have already rated.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I didn’t think all the H260’s where full floating.
That’s where the load capacity will be increased on the Ute and leaf Ute models.

As for what is in what. Pretty sure the consensus was that Nissan was just emptying the parts cupboards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,184 Posts
Looks like they’ve canned those changes for now, was going to be a nightmare as they were going to affect vehicles that already had gvm upgrades done

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like they’ve canned those changes for now, was going to be a nightmare as they were going to affect vehicles that already had gvm upgrades done
My understanding is the current "interpretation" has been withdrawn "temporarily" because some companies already had vehicles in their workshops under modification or parts in stock that would be obsolete with the "new" rules. It has not yet been decided how long these companies will have to clear their stocks but it is quite definite what the future interpretation will be. There are no "new" rules in the notification, it just clarifies existing rules that there were different interpretations on. Some more info here.

From what I've read there was nothing retrospective that required changes to vehicles already certified. However this latest notice just makes clear that the liberal interpretation of the existing rules by certain modifiers were not acceptable. This raised a question mark over vehicles already certified and presented problems with vehicles that were currently in workshops undergoing mods but the current withdrawal of the notice seems to make it clear that the liberal interpretations some companies have used until now will be accepted for vehicles already completed but it has also been made clear what the TMR's future interpretation will be, there is just no decision at this stage when that will be.

The auto engineer I know has said for years that many mods certified with state issued blue plates or federal issued SSM IPA plates did not comply with all aspects of the rules but the guidelines issued by the authorities were often vague and just muddied the waters further. It looks like nothing has changed.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Same things here in Qld. Cousin has had a lot to do with the GVM/GCM upgrade thing here. There have been mobs getting GCM upgrades signed off yet there is actually no code or ruling anywhere apparently that allows this. Not even an interpretation yet they are doing it and customers think they have a legal upgrade. Cousin has gone to many caravan industry fact nights with Qld Tpt staff to educate and even been threatened by some Suspension sellers over it a few months ago.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,776 Posts
With gvm increase on gq leaf ute original split rims must be used as well as h260 rear diff.mine was done new.gvm 3995 kg no tare or gcm listed on rego papers.been told by QT gcm is tare x 1.5 with all braked wheels + gvm.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
So if mine gets a GVM upgrade to 3.5 now, will it go back to 3.3 when changes are implemented?
99 td42 wagon

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if mine gets a GVM upgrade to 3.5 now, will it go back to 3.3 when changes are implemented?
Not from the TMR's current reaction in temporarily withdrawing their current notice so that modifiers can sort their act out. There would be no point withdrawing the notice only to defect the car that are currently under modification From what I gather, they are saying to modifiers currently using liberal interpretation "you blokes need to interpret the rules this way in future", but the TMR will accept whatever is on any blue plate or SSM IPA plate and will always accept it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,521 Posts
Not from the TMR's current reaction in temporarily withdrawing their current notice so that modifiers can sort their act out. There would be no point withdrawing the notice only to defect the car that are currently under modification From what I gather, they are saying to modifiers currently using liberal interpretation "you blokes need to interpret the rules this way in future", but the TMR will accept whatever is on any blue plate or SSM IPA plate and will always accept it.
Thanks Overboard. I better pull my finger out and get it signed off.

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no doubt there will still be GVM upgrades over 3300kg that comply with the rules but they will involve modified axle assemblies or alternate ones off something like a Ram, along with serious field testing like back to back CSR trips. It won't be a case of a new set of springs and shocks like some companies are currently getting away with.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,645 Posts
I have no doubt there will still be GVM upgrades over 3300kg that comply with the rules but they will involve modified axle assemblies or alternate ones off something like a Ram.....
I hope you are right, but it's unlikely to be the rear axle from the Ram 1500. Max rear axle load on them is less than a GU wagon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i'm looking at getting a GVM upgrade on my 2016 GU, and i don;t really want to fork out the $$ for the pedders kit if i can help it. Would this new ruling mean that i can put together a bit of a kit from different suppliers (rear strut tower brace are a given) and raise the GVM up to the combined axle weight without having to laminate the rear axle?

And on a related note, does anyone have details of a NSW engineer that would certify that kind of GVM upgrade? the local pedders are looking at $5100 for the upgrade.

rego paper list the GVM as 3060, but the combined axle weights are 3300? i'm confused as to why the GVM isn't 3300 as standard? I'm not too worried about reducing the towing capacity, as i try to tow as little as possible.

cheers.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,848 Posts
rego paper list the GVM as 3060, but the combined axle weights are 3300? i'm confused as to why the GVM isn't 3300 as standard? I'm not too worried about reducing the towing capacity, as i try to tow as little as possible.
GVM is very rarely the sum of the axle capacities. Having a slightly higher sum gives the operator the ability to move some payload around inside the vehicle to get a better weight distribution. Also, GCM (and GVM to a lesser extent) is not determined by carrying capacity only. OEM's also consider reliability and durability of drivetrain components e.g. transmissions, differentials and brakes.

·
Registered
nissan
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Would this new ruling mean that i can put together a bit of a kit from different suppliers (rear strut tower brace are a given) and raise the GVM up to the combined axle weight without having to laminate the rear axle?
I'd say almost certainly not and I'd also say that Pedders are one of those in the sights of the TMR for providing a GVM upgrade without doing anything to upgrade the axles apart from writing some bigger numbers on a piece of paper.. Expect any GVM upgrade that complies with that notice to cost a lot.

rego paper list the GVM as 3060, but the combined axle weights are 3300? i'm confused as to why the GVM isn't 3300 as standard?
There are other issues that contribute to GVM capacity other than the carrying capacity of the axles such as braking capacity and anti sway capacity. Expect companies to offer upgrades up to the 3300kg limit at more reasonable prices but above that will become dearer than it already is.

the local pedders are looking at $5100 for the upgrade.
I'm pretty sure Lovels are even dearer and you still only get springs, shocks and a certification plate fixed to the body.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts