Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2 months ago i got married to my beautiful wife, however due to work commitments we were unable to honeymoon.

Just doing a bit of research and pending the return of my truck from the mechanics, i would love to take my wife north. Time off will be about 2 weeks. Im keen on the idea of road tripping up to the town of 1770 and finally airlie beach with possibly a stint at fraser.

Heres my question :)

At what point on the map do beaches become un swimmable due to crocodiles! :skull:

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I used to swim those beaches in my youth as a kid, but not sure now. They say technically you can get crocs down to brissy, but I would doubt that nowadays. Have you talked with the National Parks, they may shed more light for you.
AL

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
With all the flooding around which pushes crocs and croc eggs downstream you would have to be careful id say mate

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
cocs have been found as far south as the logan river in the early 1900s, this time last year there was reports of a croc in hervey bay, and recently there was a report of a sighting in the mud flats near the brisbane airport

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
i would think it would be alright all the way up to townsville ;)

·
Registered
nissan/gq patrol
589 Posts
Agnes Waters and 1770 you should be able to swim without a problem from crocs, stingers are a different matter but not major. You can really visit here pretty much all year round.
Most swimming areas at Airlie Beach are safe ish. But stingers are a bigger threat there in the summer.
Where stinger nets are used sometimes crocs can swim under them because they don't go all the way to the bottom, but it does not sound like you will be heading that far north.
Fraser is not really a place to swim in the ocean, there are large rays and a very good supply of big sharks. The fresh water is best there.
If you can wait until winter as there are a lots less stingers then and the crocs are SLIGHTLY less active.
Cable Beach in Broome has lots of crocs swimming past it and people still swim there all the time.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Town of 1770 and Agnes Waters are safe from Crocs and Jellyfish only go through when the water is warm and the wind is blowing a southerly (i think) they are only Blue bottles or also known as the Portuguese Man of War, but they only sting and can be fixed with warm water. The only thing you need to do is SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS as Rips can come out of no where and can be very Dangerous there. 1770 and Agnes are a Great little place i used to do some stints of Lifeguard there.

As for Crocs mate you can swim all the way up to Cairns in Suitable areas without spotting a croc, but if you go further up you will notice signs around saying "No Swimming Crocodiles in Area". From Airlie Beach Upwards you need to Stay between the Stinger nets as tis is the Season for Box Jellyfish which are Fatal if stung by them. But Airlie does have a man made Lagoon that is quite nice and relaxing and safe as there is no Jellyfish or Crocs is that lagoon.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good info and a great heads up. thanks blokes

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
I wouldn't be swimming north of Airlie due to stingers. Most if the beaches up here are usually closed at this time of year due to the stingers (even the beaches with swimming enclosures).

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Man of Wars WILL kill you. Blue bottels are (kind of) related. Technically Man of Wars are not one animal... they are 3 species living sybiotically... but that is a minor technicality...

Stingers are the prob mate, not sharks or rays or crocs.

Fraser's fine for swimming - been doing it for 20 years now! just watch out for fireweed. Though not fatal, can give a nasty rash and make you crook if you eat it. it's obvious though - red-brown algae that washes up on the beaches of Fraser.

Go for it - i wish my missus liket that sort of thing - she's a latte girl ;).

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Speaking of crocs

Years ago growing up in Cairns we used to swim in lots of rivers & creeks around the area & never thought about or saw crocs in them

Then someone decided they should put up warning signs saying crocs might inhabit this area and all of a sudden no one was swimming there any more

I never heard of anyone being taken by a croc in these areas or any being spotted there but the presence of a warning sign made you think twice about swimming in areas where you had been swimming for years

Regards Don

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
i would think it would be alright all the way up to townsville ;)
heaps of crocs and stingers off the beaches at Townsville

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Speaking of crocs

Years ago growing up in Cairns we used to swim in lots of rivers & creeks around the area & never thought about or saw crocs in them

Then someone decided they should put up warning signs saying crocs might inhabit this area and all of a sudden no one was swimming there any more

I never heard of anyone being taken by a croc in these areas or any being spotted there but the presence of a warning sign made you think twice about swimming in areas where you had been swimming for years

Regards Don
You're kidding right??? They caught three this year near the marina in Cairns, one near Yorkey's boat ramp and one in Flecker Botannical Gardens! :rolleyes:

Go for a swim then..... even the indigeneous kids don't swim there.....

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
..... even the indigeneous kids don't swim there.....
That's usually a good indicator if the area is safe to swim in or not ;)

·
Registered
Nissan
795 Posts
swim at the beaches....stay out of the inlets and creeks unless right up the creek in the rapids. As everyone has said the stingers "box jellyfish and irraganji (something like that)" are the killers up here..well cairns and south... why do people put the scare tactic on about crocs...be sensible about it....now weipa on the other had ...no way would i swim in the ocean literally the crocs are everywhere beaches, creeks rivers local dams umm u name it i have seen them there...but we still swim in the rivers...shallow and sandy or rocky sections only, but not going to deprive ourselves of a freshwater swim....and anyhow if the crocs dont get you the tiger sharks will...

and waz65 ..... that is a very good indicator...hehe haha

Also if your dog stops barking get out of the waterhole.....he was a good dog..

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You're kidding right??? They caught three this year near the marina in Cairns, one near Yorkey's boat ramp and one in Flecker Botannical Gardens! :rolleyes:

Go for a swim then..... even the indigeneous kids don't swim there.....
There are places in Cairns where i wouldn't swim then or now and the inlet is one of them

The places that come to mind are the Mossman river where you cross it heading north out of Mossman,the Tully river on the way to Cardstone and the Barron below the new Kamarunga bridge

I wouldn't have a problem swimming at any of the beaches (apart from machans) at the moment

Speaking about the creek/drain that runs through/past Centenary Lakes/Gardens when we were kids in the 70's we used to muck around in it all the time and i remember one time we paddled along way along it it on a boat made of a besser brick pallet with 2 surf boards lashed under it (good times)

Years ago though lots of people would ski in the Inlet,the Johnstone & the Mulgrave at Deeral landing

Regards Don

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Mate. Stop at Noosa on your way up. Munna Point Caravan Park is brilliant. You can swim anywhere around here and it's just a 15 minute walk to Main Beach on Hastings Street. Not only that, there are heaps of other attractions that you can walk to.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,662 Posts
There are no crocs at 1770. :)
There have been occasions of jellyfish there but it is rare. You can usually swim there when everywhere else on the coast is a no go zone.

The tracks in Eurimbula Nat Park should be pretty interesting due to the amount of rain we have had. Might be time for a run to Turkey beach along the left track. (Don't do this track alone unless you are very good at self recovery. ;))

Due to the type of tracks there. Deepwater Nat Park should be drivable in 2WD because of the rain compacting the sand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts