Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i was installing my boost and egt gauge this morning and had all the bits siting on the dashboard but a nut fell down the vent and has jamed up the control were you choose what vent you want to use. so does anyone know were to start pulling it a part to get to it.

thanks lg91

·
Registered
387 Posts
Maybe try a magnet on a piece of string 1st???

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah
Sorry LG,
When I saw the Post
"nut lost in air vent" first thing came to mind as how the hell did you get up there?
It's one of the jokes you laugh really hard at in your head, then realise you just woken up so dont write comments?
Regards
G

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I was gonna say - this is a prime example why you should ALWAYS wear pants while working above your engine bay...

·
Registered
nissan
1,193 Posts
If the nut is blocking the main air direction control, it is most likley caught near a internal air ducting flap, get a torch and have a look/poke around under the dash ,look up through the holes where the heat would come out to blow on your feet.

You may see some holes that allow restricted access to the lower flap/s, i normally use a "large" fat cable tie to poke (you can also bend it to get into corners) or just something that you know wont damage the heater core etc.

Blowing compressed air up down and all around in holes and the vents, at the same time moving the flaps/controls, is another suggestion worth trying.

If you do see the nut, you can use a bit of chewing gum on a coathanger (or somthing sticky) to pick it up, that way you dont knock it further inside by mistake ;)

The GU dash/radio/vents surround panel is easy to get off, this will give better access to the top vent tubes as well

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
hi guys i was installing my boost and egt gauge this morning and had all the bits siting on the dashboard but a nut fell down the vent and has jamed up the control were you choose what vent you want to use. so does anyone know were to start pulling it a part to get to it.

thanks lg91
Hi, if you can get your hands on a flexiscope you might be lucky to have a look down the into the vent area and locate the nut.... then attach some blu-tak or the like to the flexiscope and pick the little 'critter up...

I would look at all other possibilities before taking the whole 'shooting match' out.... like taking the dash/combing bits out in the immediate area, then with a suitable hole saw cut into the lowest portion of the main distribution duct so as to make an inspection/retrieval hole.

My 2 bobs worth -- Good luck

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
sounds like a good excuse to go 4wding , the rough terrain might disslodge it from where it is to somewhere where it wont annoy you , or get to it easier

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
Getting a nut stuck in a tight flap sounds interesting.

Can you get5 under the dash with a largish screw driver and have a tap around, you might here it bounce in the plastic, in which case I would kind of figure out if there was a moving flap in the vicinity and then drill a 22mm hole with a spade bit, retrieve the nut, and then chuck a piece of gaffer tape over the hole.

I am not really this much of a butcher but if its driving you nuts and pulling the entire dash out is not an option, this would be what I would consider.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
must be wedged in there good, no magnet or blu tac will help you i dont think. im trying to find a diagram to understand how its set up. the flap may be pivoting on a pin thats held in place by circlips or something. you could try sliding the shaft out halfway and then lever the shaft up or down gently to get the flap to twist away from the nut,then it might fall down to somewhere where you can blow it out or something. as i said i dont know how its all set up

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what a relief i got it out. i had to pull the faccia panel off and there is about 4 leavers that the cable conects to disconected each i to see whst one was jammed finnaly it flicked out and fell out the floor vent. thanks for all ur help and answers.

note to self dont sit small things on dashboard

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
good work mate,time for a beer now ey :)
yep sure is. they dont give ya much room behind there my hand is coverd in scrahes and a far bit of skin missing oh well it was worth it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts