Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads, rang my shire today to put in an objection to the value of my property and as usual went through all the blul chit only to be put on hold then start over again when someone else took over. Grrrrrrr. Having forms sent out that have to be returned within 14 days then wait 3 to 4 months to find out if my objection is successful.

Has anyone been through this with any luck?

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,576 Posts
What exactly do you base your evidence on that differs from their's! Is it personal opinion or something like RPData. Honestly council values aren't really worth much when it comes to true or market value. Everyone in the municipality pays the same amount regardless of the value. I know it's personal but personally it think you are wasting your time and risking your sanity.

Reactions: Spud truck

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm hoping my evidence is an evaluation a few month ago which there is an $86,000 difference.
I know I'm probably wasting my time but I'm just getting sick of paying bills in the thousands for what seems like nothing in return.

Can you tell me what my rates are paying for?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a go at the valuer last year about the val rising to the high end for a house such as ours, he said I could make an objection with evidence of similar sales etc etc - too farken hard!
This year the val went down but the RP data says our suburb increased. I rang the pr**k again & asked how they justified their valuations being the opposite to the market & he just carried on with BS.
He made one comment that got me hopping mad, that even though the valuation is "as at 1st Jan 2014" they still adjust the numbers prior to issuing the rates notices based on what happened after 1st Jan 2014 - I took the pr**k to task over this but more & more BS flowed from his lips.:headwall::headwall::
You cant win with these a'holes - we do need to get rid of a layer of government though!

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which way?

Rates notice is 86k higher than my evaluation from few months ago.

Ask your council. They probably have a glossy brochure explaining how the money is spent.
I remember the brochure I got last year actually. It said on the front "your money at work"
With a picture of some wheelie bins, never seen a garbage truck out here. A picture of this nice SMOOTH bitumen road, I live on a dirt road that's as rough as guts and a few other pics that didn't make me feel like my money was being well spent.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You cant win with these a'holes - we do need to get rid of a layer of government though!
Yeah I know I can't win but I thought stuff it, I'll give it go.
I'm just another number way back in the line.
I'll be surprised if I even hear back from them.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Your rates pay the unjustifiably inflated salaries of the mendacious obfuscating snollygosters.

Good luck ;-)

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your rates pay the unjustifiably inflated salaries of the mendacious obfuscating snollygosters.

Good luck ;-)
Haha. Cheers. Sometimes I think I should send the shire a bill after winching a tree off the road or pulling the school bus out of the gutter with a tractor.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Sounds like the same struggle my mate is going through. He lives exactly 16km from the center of Mornington Shire. He has no sewer services, no water services, no waste services and lives on a dirt road which is corrugated. It gets graded once maybe twice a year so he made his own grader which he tows behind his tractor once a week. He pays his rates equal to a million dollar house because he is sitting on 20 acres. Where is the justice in that?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
got a decent property? do what the Americans do.... put a fence up, declare independence, and yourself king. tell em to F*** off and if they want any money to bring a tank! that trespasses in your country will be shot on suspicion of invasion/terrorism. and fines will be issued to their corpses for your toll'd driveway.

Or

Pay ya rates.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
All you can do practically is to check the valuations of similar properties in your Shire. If they are comparable to your property in size then you can compare them with yours and if their valuations are different you can tell the Council (not if they are higher of course.) It would be handy if you could get a copy of the local area Valuation Roll.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just go rent, and let people who appreciate living in this country buy it
to add to their portfolio's

LOL's
If you want to buy it for nearly 100k more than its worth then go ahead.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
got a decent property? do what the Americans do.... put a fence up, declare independence, and yourself king. tell em to F*** off and if they want any money to bring a tank! that trespasses in your country will be shot on suspicion of invasion/terrorism. and fines will be issued to their corpses for your toll'd driveway.

Or

Pay ya rates.
Not the case either way, I work with alot of americans, depends on which state you live in and which state tax;s you pay

Americans generalisations do not work, when you actually find out how it really works, they have an extremely complex system, and it varies state to state, if you live in a wealthy state i.e. texas you pay very little, california on the other hand!

Pay your rates in vic, but you can appeal the valuation and win, no problems

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
nissan
5,282 Posts
I cracked the chits last year, and went down there with the valuation the bank had done on my house 2 weeks before my rates notice came out, disputed and won!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts