Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Muzz, GUEY and I have a few jokes about being pedantic and OCD. Watched a few doco's on it recently (some serious chit in there) and my wife laughs about me, I'm not OCD (it doesn't rule my life) but I'm the guy who straightens pictures on the wall of the Doctors surgery or in hotels etc, all the pictures hanging on our walls at home are bluetacked as it drives me to distraction when they move and it takes me half an hour to get each one symmetrical again. My life is ruled by Symmetry and squareness. Everything in it's place and spaced correctly, I'm also the guy who walks into a factory and lines up conduit runs and pipe runs with wall lines and ceiling lines etc or into a house and line up fence lines with window edges :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

When I'm at home the pantry always has the food stacked neatly and organised with the labels facing forward.

I remember having dinner one night in a hotel in Mexico (I always sit in the corner so I can have full view of doorways) and every painting on the walls was out of square especially this huge 3m x 4m painting of a Spanish Knight directly opposite me, I had to ring my wife and tell her as there was nothing I could do :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Anyone else have similar idiosyncrasies?

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Woah......you are seriously OCD!

I look at a painting that isn't square and think "I'll fix that.......one day"

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
Lol I'm not quite that bad GU2,
Though be it at home, in the shed, or at work, everything has its set place, and usually perpendicular lol.
I document a lot of things like what string gauges I use on what guitar, part numbers of automotive service / maintenance products I use.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol I'm not quite that bad GU2,
Though be it at home, in the shed, or at work, everything has its set place, and usually perpendicular lol.
I document a lot of things like what string gauges I use on what guitar, part numbers of automotive service / maintenance products I use.
Know what you mean mate, my laptops are full of lists, I also have an excel workbook full of spreadsheets on just about everything for the Patrol, part numbers and fuel tracking and a service schedule I could probably sell to Nissan :).

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,033 Posts
I have a few little quirks, one is I like everything I can reasonably control to be as even or parallel as possible. The volume on my radio, for instance, will always increase/decrease in increments of two and be on an even number.
I will park in the middle of a parking bay, which is why I HATE my girlfriends driveway: one side is straight and the other is angled so my car can never line up with both sides.
Oh, and it annoys me if I can only see half the label on food packaging etc. Its all or nothing.
I was a bit worse a couple of years ago, for example if I scratched one elbow I would have to scratch the other. I've grown out of that though.

·
Registered
nissan
2,863 Posts
So is there anyone extreme enough that if you scratch a guard / fender on your car, you scratch the other for good measure? :D hehe

Or roll the car onto it's roof, do you kick your way out and push it the rest of the way over? :lol:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Having a bit of OCD is good,
OCCD(obsessive compulsive complaining disorder) is not cool. I work with both and can become contagious and frustrating.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Hmmm..OK. I didn't know much better til my wife and I moved in together when I was 24. I have to be the last in the house to go to bed...she always asked why I'm switching lights off and on and checking the front and back door in even numbers if there locked. Lately my wife has pointed out after the door checking and light turning off and on in the lounge room..I go to bed and get up again unlock and open the door and lock it again. I dunno. I know I'm doing it but I have to before I can close my eyes.pictures are the same here I blue tack the bottom corners so they can't move. before driving off out of the driveway I must push the hand brake button and click it down in even numbers. Shan has counted 20 times before we move and at evert set of traffic lights. Just a few i can think of but talk to shan and she'll probably tell more.When I'm tinkering I have to do laps of the garage..shan has noted I've paced up to 5 minutes in clockwise fashion without doing anything. Then I will continue. I think all this is just habits and my way of controlling my little world. I joke about ocd but I don't think its that bad.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,097 Posts
I'm not OCD (it doesn't rule my life)
Hmm let me see. By definition...

Pedantic - adjective -excessively concerned with minor details
synonyms - scrupulous, precise, exact, over-exacting, perfectionist, precisionist, punctilious, meticulous, fussy, fastidious, finical, finicky

Now ocd - Excessive concern with symmetry, exactness (see above) and orderliness

:sorry: but you sir are in denial. Now this is nothing to be worried about, as without your precise/exact/meticulous monitoring of modifications to your vehicle, I and many others would be up the creek. :bowdown:

Muzz on the other hand is a full blown ocd nutter :shock:

Note - I may or may not have altered topical information and left out extra meanings relevant to the topic ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Its not even dagnabbit! Why are people so unkind :)

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
Funny you should post up this pic as I've have struggled with this in the past ,when I adjust the stereo volume , for instance, I will always increase/decrease in increments of two and be on an even number.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,033 Posts
Funny you should post up this pic as I've have struggled with this in the past ,when I adjust the stereo volume , for instance, I will always increase/decrease in increments of two and be on an even number.
I posted the exact same thing word for word....
Good to know I'm not the only one.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
OCD....No, quite the opposite. Steptoe and his son would be proud of my place....lol.
Having said that, I must have routine in my life. The slightest change can throw my whole day out of whack.

Cheers....Lionel.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
I posted the exact same thing word for word....
Good to know I'm not the only one.
I was too lazy to type it out again so i copied & pasted it from your post ;)

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,656 Posts
What scares me the most is you lot are aloud to reproduce and drive motor vehicles .:hmm:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts