Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
07’ Nissan Patrol Safari 4.8 / 19’ Toyota Land Cruiser GXR
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically all of a sudden my odometer is now reading weird. For example, the number 4 sometimes shows up as a 6 and the count jumps up and readjusts itself back a couple kilometers. The clock looks messed up too. How can I fix it? I'm not sure about other Patrols but in the UAE we refer to the gauge cluster in my y61 as "lazer" which if I'm not mistaken is only available in the Super Safari.

·
Registered
2008 Nissan Patrol GU Y61
24 Posts
So basically all of a sudden my odometer is now reading weird. For example, the number 4 sometimes shows up as a 6 and the count jumps up and readjusts itself back a couple kilometers. The clock looks messed up too. How can I fix it? I'm not sure about other Patrols but in the UAE we refer to the gauge cluster in my y61 as "lazer" which if I'm not mistaken is only available in the Super Safari.
The "Lazer" gauge referred to in Super Safari is basically brighter than the Safari gauge and is more cleaner to look at.

About your issue, never experienced it but on the basis of what you're experiencing I'm guessing the LCD display is about to give up. Probably get it checked by a good electrician that handles gauges, double dins, amoliers etc. They'll be able to give a better idea. Good Luck!

thanks
Ecronic

2008 Nissan Patrol Y61 GU TB48

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
If multiple faults are ocurring I would first be thoroughly checking earths. Being a GU a second earth strap between chassis and body has helped many of us, me included. Also check dash earth behind kick panel, it is on drivers side here in OZ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If multiple faults are ocurring I would first be thoroughly checking earths. Being a GU a second earth strap between chassis and body has helped many of us, me included. Also check dash earth behind kick panel, it is on drivers side here in OZ.
Hey geeyoutoo!
I'm fairly new to working on my own car and patrols. Is there a tutorial I could follow to check my earth wires?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "Lazer" gauge referred to in Super Safari is basically brighter than the Safari gauge and is more cleaner to look at.

About your issue, never experienced it but on the basis of what you're experiencing I'm guessing the LCD display is about to give up. Probably get it checked by a good electrician that handles gauges, double dins, amoliers etc. They'll be able to give a better idea. Good Luck!

thanks
Ecronic

2008 Nissan Patrol Y61 GU TB48
Hey Ecronic!
As someone here suggested looking at my earth wires first, I'll give that a go. If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue I might just replace the entire gauge cluster with the normal safari one as I like the white cluster more than the red of the lazer one.
I see you have an 08' y61 in the UAE. Hope to see you around soon!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
Hey geeyoutoo!
I'm fairly new to working on my own car and patrols. Is there a tutorial I could follow to check my earth wires?
In the Bible there is a section on fitting the second earth strap. For general wiring you can download the workshop manual from the link in my signature. I would suggest the version to supp XV.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In the Bible there is a section on fitting the second earth strap. For general wiring you can download the workshop manual from the link in my signature. I would suggest the version to supp XV.
Will check this out. Oh and just to confirm, the steps would be relatively the same on the TB48 as well right?
Thank you!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
Will check this out. Oh and just to confirm, the steps would be relatively the same on the TB48 as well right?
Thank you!
Absolutely.

·
Registered
nissan 4.2td patrol
212 Posts
I had a similar issue with my LCD display on my dash cluster. the numbers were sometimes showing 8 or 6 or bits of the number, and pressing the button to switch between trip A, B or Oddo would sometimes sort it out for a few minutes, but mostly it wouldn't even change between the 3 readings.
Mine is a 99 model, and I guess over the years a dry soldering joint must have occurred. I removed the instrument cluster and on the rear of the cluster there is the flexible plastic circuit board where the various gauges are soldered onto. I simply applied some soldering flux to my soldering iron and quickly refreshed all the solder joints. When I put the dash cluster back in place everything was working perfectly again.
The second earth strap is also a very good idea to do.

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a similar issue with my LCD display on my dash cluster. the numbers were sometimes showing 8 or 6 or bits of the number, and pressing the button to switch between trip A, B or Oddo would sometimes sort it out for a few minutes, but mostly it wouldn't even change between the 3 readings.
Mine is a 99 model, and I guess over the years a dry soldering joint must have occurred. I removed the instrument cluster and on the rear of the cluster there is the flexible plastic circuit board where the various gauges are soldered onto. I simply applied some soldering flux to my soldering iron and quickly refreshed all the solder joints. When I put the dash cluster back in place everything was working perfectly again.
The second earth strap is also a very good idea to do.
I'm not a soldering expert and in fact have never done it before. But I will give this a go with the help of a local garage. Thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts