Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i guess it happens to the best of us blew the head the other day fark!!!
pulled apart today lots of corrosion at the rear in water jacket might be able to reco if not cracked behind that, so off for crack / pressure test. I love my troll but the love affair is becoming strained $4500 full trany rebuild 6mths ago another $2grd on various other mech since ive owned it, now the head but on the bright side not alot more can go wrong and i will have a like new mech truck fingers crossed. So what would i pay for a reco head with out change over/ with, and whats a brand new head worth complete.

Cheers
Ritchie

·
Registered
731 Posts
I did mine a couple of years ago. I think I had to get a reco'ed exchange head (for LPG). I had a mechanic do it, they changed all the hoses at the same time and the whole lot came to $3,500. Luckly work was paying for running my Patrol at the time so the cash didn't come out of my pocket. Apparently it's common for GQs on LPG to go around 250,000 km.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
That sucks i just had mine fixed up anywho i remember seeing new heads with hardened valves ect for lpg In my 4x4 action magazine advertised i think it was $1200 for the lot hope this helps good luck with it

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
That sucks i just had mine fixed up anywho i remember seeing new heads with hardened valves ect for lpg In my 4x4 action magazine advertised i think it was $1200 for the lot hope this helps good luck with it
The ad was from hoppers heads. They arent brand new heads. a brand new head alone cost around $1000. Plus all valves are stainless steel. its just the seats that are different for lpg

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
Dam i thought it sounded a bit to good to be true

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the troll back $1900 and all done no cracks but did have 3 cracked valves mech said unusual for a low rev engine, had water jacket welded and milled and the usual valves etc.
put in new water pump at the same time

thanks for your input guys/gals

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Good one mate glad to hear your back on the roads again.1900. That's not too bad. Now I know what I'm in for.I don't get the hype bout tb42's and heads. I've blown them on other cars aswell.
**** happens.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol ute
15 Posts
green troll wrote " Good one mate glad to hear your back on the roads again.1900. That's not too bad. Now I know what I'm in for.I don't get the hype bout tb42's and heads. I've blown them on other cars aswell.
**** happens. "

have owned n driven, many other vehicles, have never blown a head, have had the misfortune of owning 2 tb4.2 equipped trolls .
1 x 89 auto wagon 2 heads on 1 motor swapped out 4 another motor n blew head on way back from perth . (long slow tow into karratha !!!!)
1x 93 5 sp bought cheap with blown head after previous owner had spent $6500 on head ,w-pump etc, upon pull down no 6 full of water, rear headbolts undone with 1/4" drive socket ( possibly never torgued properly)
runs fine now ~ 9 months but will be sold on as sone as my utes finished
have helped 3 other mates with same same
imho tb4.2 well deserved bad reputation 4 heads

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Pilbara gq. Or anyone else that can answer this

Please correct me if im wrong, but I thought ive read on here that some of the reasons why the tb42 were blowing heads was underlying cooling problems and the early gq heads were prone to this, before Nissan upgraded the galleries.

Is this correct or is it just poor design. And if so what can you do to fix this problem. Cheers fellas

·
Registered
543 Posts
I thought it was an LPG thing mine went at about 250k and had been running on gas about 12 years with original head modded with new seats with no upper cylinder lube.
It had 4 big cracks and was a write off. The head that is.
Some one smarter than me may have better info re your question.
I think in my case the cracks in the head caused my overheating, not overheating causing the cracks.

Pilbara gq. Or anyone else that can answer this

Please correct me if im wrong, but I thought ive read on here that some of the reasons why the tb42 were blowing heads was underlying cooling problems and the early gq heads were prone to this, before Nissan upgraded the galleries.

Is this correct or is it just poor design. And if so what can you do to fix this problem. Cheers fellas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine had not actually cracked but rusted out the water jacket which in turn did the gasket
on the No 6 cyl, . The boys at nth geelong engine reco, mod the rear of the head, not sure what they do but they drill out something at the back of the head and re weld and this, so they say takes some of the pressure of.I think its the luck of the draw as mine had done 360000ks on lpg and is the first time the heads been done. so yes poor design and cheap casting,and owner neglect if any one has a different opinion feel free.:crazy:

·
Registered
nissan
102 Posts
we used to do a mod on the tb42 and 4cy mitsi triton's basicly when head off drill and tap into the rear of head in water gallery and run a hose from there to thermostat housing, helped keep them cool and get rid of any air in them but might have been just arse as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts