Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have noticed lately a film if oil building up around my intercooler and in intake from air box to turbo. Is this from the oil hose on top of the rocker cover, if so am I better to install a catch can. Im just about to put a new turbo on, and am building a new air box and complete new intake piping.
Where does the oil from catch can return back to engine??

·
Registered
nissan partol gu 2
56 Posts
Mate, check out the western filters provent 200. Works great, but bit expensive. It can be routed back to sump if you wanted to.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Glad I searched this.
I'm in the same boat, about to install new airbox and intake plumbing and was wondering the same thing.
Wow that provent 200 is expensive..
is it really justifiable??

·
Registered
nissan/gu
56 Posts
Yep the provent is expensive but works extremely well!!

Justifiable, sure is have a look in your inlet manifold !! most likely got a load of black gunk in it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep the provent is expensive but works extremely well!!

Justifiable, sure is have a look in your inlet manifold !! most likely got a load of black gunk in it.
But really is there much benefit compared to a $50 catch can?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
my input, both my utes ran for quiet some time with oil i the intake system, i recently fitted a cheap monza catch can (fitted 13m fittings) to it to replace the smallish 10mm, and to be honest it now makes a high pitch turbo scream, but I also change muffler types at the same time, other than the screaming I haven't noticed any difference to performance or smoke etc, and in 6 odd weeks be lucky to have 100mls of oil in the can, I fitted one casing oil consumption problems.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
yeah,most likey see no improvments in smoke or anything like that. But it does coat your cooler with oil, if you have one of course, And cuts down on efficiency of the cooler there for a small lose of power.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
And it keeps those oil fumes from getting into your air intake pipe, and covering your MAF.. and we know what that ends up doing...
Some people who put the cheap ones in say "but its only caught x ml in x km, so was it worth it?" If you put a provent in it will likely catch more oil, definitely making it worth while.. The cheap ones dont work as well (unless perhaps you modify it). I put a provent in, it was more expensive than a cheap supercheap one but my intercooler and piping is squeeky clean :)

If its worth doing, its worth doing right :)

·
Registered
nissan
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for ur input I'll be looking into one in the coming months, cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts