Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
manuals the real mans choice
nissan
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a tb42 swb manual. And have already cooked one motor don't need to do that again. So my question is if a oil cooler is fitted will the service intervals be longer? And will it make a reasonable difference to the life of the engine?

When fitting water temp gauges where is the beat place to tap into for the sensor? And Same with oil temp and pressure.. Now ATM the engine does run cool. Just I've had slot of reliability issues with this car and want to keep the car running reliable. I would like to be changing the oil every 10k kms.. Instead of 5k. As uni takes up most of my money =(

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
TB's dont really suffer from heat retention in the oil, a large sump capacity generally keeps things cool. Oil is generally knackered at after 10,000 in a petrol/LPG engine more due to particulate nasties. Oil will eventually loose its abitliy to keep these particles in suspension. The blacker it is the more contaminated it becomes with these things and more acidic.

You really dont need to change oil at 5k. Also spend a bit more on your oils and it will save you tenfold.

Check things like your viscous hub in the engine fan and condition of coolant, these are the buggers that kill TB's.

·
Banned
nissan
201 Posts
Okay so I have a tb42 swb manual. And have already cooked one motor don't need to do that again. So my question is if a oil cooler is fitted will the service intervals be longer? And will it make a reasonable difference to the life of the engine?

When fitting water temp gauges where is the beat place to tap into for the sensor? And Same with oil temp and pressure.. Now ATM the engine does run cool. Just I've had slot of reliability issues with this car and want to keep the car running reliable. I would like to be changing the oil every 10k kms.. Instead of 5k. As uni takes up most of my money =(

Thanks for any help
I speculate that it would not have a significant effect on the oils useable life. You would have the do the experiment yourself with some oil sampling and temperature measurement as I doubt anyone on here would have. If you run it too cool you may not be able to vaporise and expel oil contaminants like water. Nissan have considered this in detail during design/testing .

Use the standard location for water temp sensor? Make the cooling system is as per nissan spec and in good condition will result in reliablility as it's going to get. Ad hoc mods are probably just going to cost money you could have spent on maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts