Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I know this has got so many topics on it but I must be missing something. Just doing my first oil change and I remove the filter cartridge housing checking very carefully where the o ring is so I know i put it back right as I've learnt from experience getting it in the wrong place can make a real mess of the engine bay.

Annoyingly there was no o ring fitted. And I know I'm not going crazy cos I've felt everywhere and checked everything. The housing wasnt leaking oil but it was ridiculously tight so the mechanic that did the last change must be super lucky.

Anyway where does the o ring sit? Does anyone know of a picture anywhere that shows the o ring in place on the housing?

Thanks and sorry for the basic question

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
This is the housing,

15201VC100.jpg

the O ring should be orange or black and sit in the deepest grove. Just above where the thread finishes, there is a lip and the O ring grove is above that.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Geordie, I was certain it must've been that groove but thought best to check.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Cheers Geordie, I was certain it must've been that groove but thought best to check.
Not a problem. You should also get a new O ring with the filter.

It is amazing that it was not leaking as the pressure I believe is up around 110 psi from the pump. The outer edges must fit together very neatly to not be leaking all over the place.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,208 Posts
Not a problem. You should also get a new O ring with the filter.

It is amazing that it was not leaking as the pressure I believe is up around 110 psi from the pump. The outer edges must fit together very neatly to not be leaking all over the place.
X 2, I can't believe it didn't leak under that pressure.

Are you sure it didn't split and stay in the housing? I've not heard of that happening but still can't believe it didn't leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts