Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu 2006
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys 'n' girls
You know when your doing an oil filter change and you have dropped your old oil, then rip off you filters. Is there a trick to not dropping all the oil in the filter all over the side of the engine and front diff.
In my old busted surf I had, before I brought a real car (GU 4, 4.2TDi) ha ha. It had this magic bit of kit where when you broke the seal of the oil filter an oil spewed out it was guided down a drain line.
Can you buy on of these for your nissan?

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
i use a second tray for the filters, doesnt stop it dripping on the diff and engine but keeps it off the concrete. now on the rodeo its piped to the front so it doesnt drip on anything so its not an issue, but yeh i hated that with the troll too

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I think mine allready has that drain thingo (3ltr though). Works well, until the wind starts blowing it everywhere, but thats what you get when you do you oil change out on the road i spose :)

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
cant you just make up abit of cardboard to get an idea and have it underneath the starter motor etc then get something made up, there is plenty of room to work with something in there.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Is there room to fit a funnel under the filter? That way when you crack it you can funnel it where you want.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4
36 Posts
I did the same oil all over the drive way, there is a drip tray just under the oil filter, the rectangle tray has a funnel running down, all i do is get under the patrol attach a short piece of hose to hang over a oil tray on the ground and bingo no problem with oil all over the drive way, just get under you patrol and have a good look

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I get a heavy plastic bag with a strong rubber band over it, once you have loosened it a tad, atleast. Then unwind the filter with the bag over it and the rubber band closes the hole more and its easier to get the whole mess out contained. Its a fiddle ass way of doing something, but I am half pom.

·
Registered
nissan
11,153 Posts
I am lucky tk be Ble do do it in a workshop where I don't care if oil gets onthe drive way. But all i do is just remove them let the oil run into a big splash tray then gernie/degrease the whole shebang. Keeps the engine bay close to clean and makes the only annoying part having to be a contortionist to get to them and get em in and out. ***** of a setup.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
I did the same oil all over the drive way, there is a drip tray just under the oil filter, the rectangle tray has a funnel running down, all i do is get under the patrol attach a short piece of hose to hang over a oil tray on the ground and bingo no problem with oil all over the drive way, just get under you patrol and have a good look
where does the other end of the hose attach to? (the end not in the tray)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4
36 Posts
nethergate

I used a piece of rubber hose that was the correct size to fit over the round part of the funnel,that is just under the oil filter. the other end I left dangling in a tray or bucket, hence any oil that dripped it would drip into the bucket/tray

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
I buy those cheap tarps from bunnings or the Warehouse and spread it on the ground.
Just use plenty of rags to clean up the spilage from the filters.

The best, cleanest, easiest oil change i ever had was when I didn't spill a single drop. I tidied up pretty rapt with myself.....went to move the truck and drove over the container with the old oil that i had forgotten to move - FARK what a mess on the driveway :headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall::headwall:

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,721 Posts
I get a heavy plastic bag with a strong rubber band over it, once you have loosened it a tad, atleast. Then unwind the filter with the bag over it and the rubber band closes the hole more and its easier to get the whole mess out contained. Its a fiddle ass way of doing something, but I am half pom.
I do this, but use plastic shopping bags, and without the rubber band. Will give it a go with the rubber band next time.

Also, I pull the sump plug and let it drain overnight before removing the filters. Most (not quite all) of the oil drains out of the filters, and into the sump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts