Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so at the moment fellas the old girls been taken off the road sunce purchasing a second car so I fix all the little nigglys I cpuld never fix in just a sunday. oils leaking from front somewhere so ive stripped the whole lot off to reseal IP cover, timing cover and front main. Also hopefully put some new seals in my power steering pump as its leaking from the pulley shaft seal if not ill source a good second hand pump. my other question is. Ive pulled my turbo off cause there was alot of oil around the intake pipe where the air cleaner bolts to im figuring thats the engine breather causing all that so wondering whether I could block it without any worries?
Also there was oil leaking from my boost controller so figured its coming from the turbo so I removed manifolds, turbo etc and found oil everywhere. not copious amounts but more than usual IMO. im asking whether someone can tell me that it is just the turbo seals and nothing more major as engine has only roughly 40000kms since rebuild. I assume that it shouldnt be leaking from anywhere major and only turbo as it was never rebuilt? hopefully someone can shed some light.
another thing is the turbo. if it is the seals I would like to rebuild it or replace it. has anyone had/or got one rebuilt if so where or where did you source parts? Its in my interest to replace the turbo but am on a budget and dont want nothing over the top. id love a turbro from landy but its out of my price range and im only after the turbo as have cooler already. has anyone used a garret or holset. if so what model?
im also after any other knowledge of things I should be replacing mostly engine wise while shes off the road
thanks fellas any advice is appreciated

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
Odds are that the oil is from the crankcase breather. Fit a catch can and the oil problem will be no more.
Your turbo will most likely be ok.

·
Registered
nissan
1,167 Posts
Definitiely don't block off your crankcase breather, you'll over-pressurise your motor and blow front&rear seals. As skeg mentioned, chuck an oil catch can in and that will most likely fix your oil issue. Not surprising for the old HT-15 to sweat a little bit of oil, so don't be too worried by that unless you are blowing some serious blue smoke.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,033 Posts
If it was a blown seal in the turbo you'd know all about it lol.
I had one with a blown seal and it was covered in oil.

x3 on a catch can.

·
Registered
Nissan
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers fellas that makes me happier haha. yea after I wrote this I realised I didnt mean block off I meant put it straight into atmosphere or was thinking chassis to stop rust ;) but yea I reckon catch can is the way to go. what are they like to hook up? and yea I new the turbo would bypass a bit but there seemed alot in there but yea no blue smoke at all so I guess its good. when she starts running on oil I guess ill worry more haha

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,033 Posts
There's no real point venting the crankcase to the atmosphere, especially with a catch can installed.
A lot of the research I've done even suggests that venting back into the intake is a good thing as it helps keep crankcase pressure constant.

A catch can is piss easy to install. Run a bit of hose to the catch can, back from the catch can to the intake amd mount the catch can. To keep the hoses as short as possible (reduce mess in the engine bay) I just made up a little L shaped bracket that picks up the mounting points for the prefilter and used a hose clamp to hold it in place. Simple and it works well, only issue is that I need to take the main filter housing off to empty it but for the couple of minutes that takes each service it's really no issue.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
There is a valve in the breather on valve cover that will work as it should only when connected to intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts