Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve just picked myself up a 2011 3L patrol wagon and when I initially purchased it I was told by my old mechanic who serviced it that there was a leak in the oil sump gasket, however after he repaired the leak and replaced the liquid gasket I decided to take it to a new mechanic with more experience working on patrols. The new mechanic reckons that there was never a leak in the sump gasket and that the oil leak (which is still present after the initial sump gasket repair) is more likely coming from the front timing case cover, however they are not 100%. The leak is very minor so I’ve decide to leave it for the moment. However early this morning I decided to check over the engine bay and check oil levels etc and I found something I hadn’t noticed before. There is a new leak I’ve found that is pooling up slightly in the furthest to the front injector housing/rocker cover. I have attached a photo for reference. I’m just wondering if this could potentially be the same leak and if this should have immediate attention as I’m very strapped for coin at the moment. Also for those wondering the initial oil leak was found width oil residue down the drivers side of the engine near the front just before the fan. Sorry for the lack of technical terminology as I don’t have much experience working on cars however I’d really like to learn.
Thanks.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Degrease the engine then monitor daily to see what comes back, injector seals do weep from time to time, that looks fairly benign to me, so the wash and monitor will tell you a lot about that and other possible areas. Sumps generally don't leak, but the 'O' ring around the base of the dipstick tube does from time to time, mine is weeping right now (I'll get around to it one day, no oil drops on my driveway).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Degrease the engine then monitor daily to see what comes back, injector seals do weep from time to time, that looks fairly benign to me, so the wash and monitor will tell you a lot about that and other possible areas. Sumps generally don't leak, but the 'O' ring around the base of the dipstick tube does from time to time, mine is weeping right now (I'll get around to it one day, no oil drops on my driveway).
Thanks mate, degreased the side of the engine but the leak seams to come from further up than I can see from the underside of the engine. The photo doesn’t give the injected leak justice, on one side it’s a fairly significant puddle however I’ll clean it and see how it goes. Would this be a diesel or oil leak?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Thanks mate, degreased the side of the engine but the leak seams to come from further up than I can see from the underside of the engine. The photo doesn’t give the injected leak justice, on one side it’s a fairly significant puddle however I’ll clean it and see how it goes. Would this be a diesel or oil leak?
If it was diesel you would likely see wetness on the lines.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Glow plug seals maybe? As far as the other leaks go I have found mine is always oily underneath but never uses oil. I gave up chasing it ages ago I put it down to how messy it is doing the oil filter with dual batteries!!! Oil just goes everywhere and even after degreasing it's hard to proper clean off so I just deal with it nowdays

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I’ve just picked myself up a 2011 3L patrol wagon and when I initially purchased it I was told by my old mechanic who serviced it that there was a leak in the oil sump gasket, however after he repaired the leak and replaced the liquid gasket I decided to take it to a new mechanic with more experience working on patrols. The new mechanic reckons that there was never a leak in the sump gasket and that the oil leak (which is still present after the initial sump gasket repair) is more likely coming from the front timing case cover, however they are not 100%. The leak is very minor so I’ve decide to leave it for the moment. However early this morning I decided to check over the engine bay and check oil levels etc and I found something I hadn’t noticed before. There is a new leak I’ve found that is pooling up slightly in the furthest to the front injector housing/rocker cover. I have attached a photo for reference. I’m just wondering if this could potentially be the same leak and if this should have immediate attention as I’m very strapped for coin at the moment. Also for those wondering the initial oil leak was found width oil residue down the drivers side of the engine near the front just before the fan. Sorry for the lack of technical terminology as I don’t have much experience working on cars however I’d really like to learn.
Thanks. View attachment 547729
[/
Thanks. View attachment 547729
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system
Here are some photos from after I degreased the engine, the majority of the oil was leaking down between the lighter bare metal part of the engine and the darker oil stained part (right were the two bits met) sorry I’m unsure of the names of these parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts