Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu iii 3.0 turbo diesel 2004 manual wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the oil light not going out after starting my 2004 patrol GU III 3.0 tubo. This happens intermitantly. I dropped into a mechanic who said it may be a faulty sensor. He checked the oil and everything was fine. It can be on then I turn off the motor and restart and then it goes.
I've booked it in for a service with UltraTune on Tuesady and I will get him to have a look. I would like to give him an idea of what the issue might be.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
i have a similar problem with mine, except mine stays on all the time now, but not full on, only half so its dim and can really only be seen if your looking for it or at night

·
Registered
977 Posts
Hi there,

I have had this problem in the past, but have now resolved it. In order to fix it, you need to understand how the ZD30 works. There are two oil pressure sensors, one a HP sensor on the RH side of the motor, and an LP sensor on the LH side of the motor. If they dont both agree with each other then they will illuminate the oil pressure light.

Firstly. How long since you changed the oil, and what oil are you running. If you are trying for the 10000km oil service interval then you will need to run a full synthetic oil. So as a first step, change the oil.

Lastly, pull the sensor out and clean it out with degreaser. You will want the motor to be cold, and you'll want to be fairly dexterious in order to get the LP one out. I did this when I added an oil pressure gauge to the motor, and I have never seen the problem again. I would reccomend that if you are fitting gauges to the motor, use a triple pillar pod if possible, and put an oil pressure gauge into the third location.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu iii 3.0 turbo diesel 2004 manual wagon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will let the mechanic know when I get it serviced. After the oil is changes and it is all lubed up I'll see what happens (hopefully nothing). I would feel more comfortable looking at a gauge and seeing how the pressuer is rather than waiting for a light that comes one which normally means something is wrong. Thanks for the tip.

·
Grenade Master
Nissan Patrol 05
2,642 Posts
.... and you'll want to be fairly dexterious in order to get the LP one out.
I thought High Pressure was worse, I found the Low Pressure (on the LHS of the engine) easy to do, extra dexterity was required on on HP (RHS one behind the starter motor). You need 27 mm deep socket and in the case of the HP unit couple of extra extensions (10" and 6" etc)one of them so called wobbly extension.
It is actually easy to see which one is misbehaving, when engine is off/no oil pressure both should have continuity to ground.
Make sure you specify which sender you are after, they aren't the same. If you unplug the resistor (behind driver side panel the white ceramic like thingie) and oil light goes off it means possibly that it is the HP sender causing you dramas, if I recollect mine issues correctly.)
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem on en off for a while, but after changing over to full synthetic oil I have never seen this again!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the same problem with mine (2006 st wagon 3l manual 80k on the clock). It was doing it for about a year then one day, out of the blue I decided to start the patrol differently. Instead of waiting for the glow plug light to go out I just put the key in and cranked the engine immediatly, The oil light went out.

I then shut the engine down, pulled the key out then key in this time I when I turned the key I waited for the glow plug light to go out then I started the engine and the oil light stayed on.

I tried this all day at different operating temperatures with the exact same result. I know this doesnt fix the problem and if you live in a cold climate then you have to use the glow plugs but hay, it works, I dont know why or how but it works. One day I will fit a mechanical oil gauge then I can tell that little light to go to hell but until then I'll put up with it.

Just my 2 cent worth (plus GST of course ;))

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 3 litre
7 Posts
oil sensor

:headwall: I had the same problem with my 2001 patrol. there was a recall on them & i had a new one fitted when i had it serviced in south australia on my way around australis. baldy65.8)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have an extended warranty with my GUIV and had a problem with oil light operating Intermittently, the dealer fixed it with out question.

Some posts suggest the oil switch, while other suggest the resistor pack or both.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You need to replace both switches and the resistor. That is the safe way as if you replace one and the other one is crook you may be back to square one and have to do the resistor again. The switches are only a bit over $20 each so not worth the risk.
It is a problem caused by chattering (contacts opening and closing quickly) whch makes the switch (or switches) go faulty. The new resistor changes the frequency of the opening and closing (or something like that) to stop the chattering.
Change the lot and be done with it.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
My brother in law had it go as well. Cause was the Resistor oil PR part # 24336 -VC30C still have in front of me. They replaced the sensors twice before they went to the resistor.

Caged

1 - 12 of 12 Posts