Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just got my car back from the mechanic for a clutch swap, EGR weld up (cracked), leaking upper sump and oil pressure warning light being on. They originally replaced the passenger side oil sensor which didn't fix it, so they replaced the driver's side and said it was all good.

The warning light was previously on all the time, however on the way home the warning light started coming on again but only at idle.

They said they tested the oil pressure and all was good... I hope they tested cold and hot.

The bottom end also sounds like it has a knock now... Strange knock that wasn't there previously.

Where do I start with the oil warning light now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,106 Posts
Hi all,

Just got my car back from the mechanic for a clutch swap, EGR weld up (cracked), leaking upper sump and oil pressure warning light being on. They originally replaced the passenger side oil sensor which didn't fix it, so they replaced the driver's side and said it was all good.

The warning light was previously on all the time, however on the way home the warning light started coming on again but only at idle.

They said they tested the oil pressure and all was good... I hope they tested cold and hot.

The bottom end also sounds like it has a knock now... Strange knock that wasn't there previously.

Where do I start with the oil warning light now?

They make a circuit by completing an earth, start there mate

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,106 Posts
What I'm saying is check the wiring harness on the temp sensor, but since you brought it up, do you have the second earth strap between gearbox cross member and body?

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I'm saying is check the wiring harness on the temp sensor, but since you brought it up, do you have the second earth strap between gearbox cross member and body?
No I don't have any additional earths. Can you elaborate a little on checking the harness around the temp sensor? I believe there are 2 sensors, which one should I be looking at?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,106 Posts
No I don't have any additional earths. Can you elaborate a little on checking the harness around the temp sensor? I believe there are 2 sensors, which one should I be looking at?
Both, one behind the starter motor and the other in the oil cooler housing under the exhaust manifold, just go back up the wiring as far as you can, maybe with engine running disconnect and reconnect while someone watches the oil light.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both, one behind the starter motor and the other in the oil cooler housing under the exhaust manifold, just go back up the wiring as far as you can, maybe with engine running disconnect and reconnect while someone watches the oil light.
Did you mean to say temp sensor or did you mean oil pressure sensor? This has me a bit confused.

Regarding earth straps... should I run an extra strap between body & chassis and then an additional one from chassis to engine block? I've been searching through threads but I'm not entirely confident I understand the process (as simple as it sounds).

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,627 Posts
Brad can you check with the workshop on how "they tested the oil pressure"??? If a workshop said that to me it would suggest they have used their own test equipment. If you have an engine noise now, and your oil light is coming on at idle, that is a bad sign. Whilst it may be an electrical fault and that needs to be resolved first, it does also suggest low oil pressure at idle, which is indicative of a problem.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brad can you check with the workshop on how "they tested the oil pressure"??? If a workshop said that to me it would suggest they have used their own test equipment. If you have an engine noise now, and your oil light is coming on at idle, that is a bad sign. Whilst it may be an electrical fault and that needs to be resolved first, it does also suggest low oil pressure at idle, which is indicative of a problem.
Yeah I'll give them a bell on monday mate. The only reason I'm not completely freaking out is the oil pressure warning light first came on after I installed a new alternator last weekend, shorted it out and blew the main fuse. I'm hoping they are somehow related!!

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,627 Posts
Yes, rather a coincidence.

Your comments on the engine noise concern me. Hence my question on confirming how the mechanic concluded the oil pressure was good.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, rather a coincidence.

Your comments on the engine noise concern me. Hence my question on confirming how the mechanic concluded the oil pressure was good.
The thing that really concerned me was they filled the engine with 15L of oil and pressurised it to check for leaks... They called it a leak test which I haven't heard of before.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,106 Posts
Did you mean to say temp sensor or did you mean oil pressure sensor? This has me a bit confused.

Regarding earth straps... should I run an extra strap between body & chassis and then an additional one from chassis to engine block? I've been searching through threads but I'm not entirely confident I understand the process (as simple as it sounds).
Sorry meant to say oil pressure sensor. One between cross member and body is a good start, no holes need to be drilled, attachment points available.
Shane raises a good point about asking how they tested.
15L of oil, seriously? WTF? That would have had the crank and rods creaming the oil.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry meant to say oil pressure sensor. One between cross member and body is a good start, no holes need to be drilled, attachment points available.
Shane raises a good point about asking how they tested.
15L of oil, seriously? WTF? That would have had the crank and rods creaming the oil.
I don't think they actually ran the motor with all that oil - just filled it up and added pressure to the motor to look for leaks

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
918 Posts
Wowser 15ltrs could that be the cause? Even if engine wasnt started to pressurise it is similar isnt it?
Gq takes ~12ltrs so i would assume they have almost doubled the capacity by putting 15 ltrs in...? (That what i ment lol late night typing half asleep) Never heard of a test like that before...

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,106 Posts
Wowser 15ltrs could that be the cause? Even if engine wasnt started to pressurise it is similar isnt it?
Gq takes ~12ltrs so i would assume they are almost double the capacity on the gu? Never heard of a test like that before...
8.2L with new oil filter.
I don't think they actually ran the motor with all that oil - just filled it up and added pressure to the motor to look for leaks
Sorry, that is pointless, I've been building, modifying and repairing engines since the 1960's, never heard of or carried that practice out.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,451 Posts
Brad,

Oil Pressure SENSOR located RHS (adjacent to starter motor) _ where oil pressure (measured) is to be taken from.
Oil Pressure SWITCH located above oil filter (LHS).

Make sure they replaced both sensor + switch with new ones.

In addition to MIL coming on a Trouble code P0522 can come up with faulty sensor or switch (need a scan tool and clear it but will cause no issue). Low oil pressure is of course

Check electrical tab connector at both sensor and switch. especially the sensor (RHS) and make sure connection is firm as mechanic may have distorted it playing around.
To be sorted first.

Been thru this recently _ MIL on after drive few minutes + trouble code _ turned motor off / clear codes then OK but I also run a VDO oil pressure gauge so I knew oil pressure was good.
Fixed by replacing the sensor plus switch and soldered on a new electric connector to end of wire to sensor (RHS).

Knock from bottom end is a concern for sure. Maybe a coincidence. Check what oil type they used, guess I would replace it with what is normally used/check levels. Oil type would not be the main cause of concern here.

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Brad,

Oil Pressure SENSOR located RHS (adjacent to starter motor) _ where oil pressure (measured) is to be taken from.
Oil Pressure SWITCH located above oil filter (LHS).

Make sure they replaced both sensor + switch with new ones.

In addition to MIL coming on a Trouble code P0522 can come up with faulty sensor or switch (need a scan tool and clear it but will cause no issue). Low oil pressure is of course

Check electrical tab connector at both sensor and switch. especially the sensor (RHS) and make sure connection is firm as mechanic may have distorted it playing around.
To be sorted first.

Been thru this recently _ MIL on after drive few minutes + trouble code _ turned motor off / clear codes then OK but I also run a VDO oil pressure gauge so I knew oil pressure was good.
Fixed by replacing the sensor plus switch and soldered on a new electric connector to end of wire to sensor (RHS).

Knock from bottom end is a concern for sure. Maybe a coincidence. Check what oil type they used, guess I would replace it with what is normally used/check levels. Oil type would not be the main cause here.
Thanks Bidja, I'll have to find out whether they kept the new pressure switch in after determining that it wasn't at fault.

Bit of an update - I've now got the ECU throwing a P0523 code (High Voltage). Just trying to figure out what that means at the moment.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,451 Posts
Have read that: P0522 is the universal OBD-11 code for eng oil pressure switch/sensor low voltage. Related codes 0520.0521,0523 and 0524

·
Premium Member
2009 GU
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
But I've got the high voltage P0523 instead which seems to indicate the oil pressure is too high

1 - 20 of 27 Posts