Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly Patrol is a 2000 GUII 3.0lt with full NADS 3" exhaust, DPChip.

I have had the oil light start to flicker on and off very dimly at first until it came on solid. Pull over and stop, start again and light would go out. Well light is constantly on now.

Today I replaced both oil pressure sensors on the engine with no change.
Checked the fault codes and nothing. Oil level is fine and Patrol is running fine.

Next move might be to get it to my mechanic and test the pressures.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further to this I have disconnected both senders and the light stays on, it should go out, so I am thinking an electrical problem somewhere.

There is talk of a resistor on other posts, to the right of the accelerator peddle but mine is not there.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This arvo I disconnected both sensors, light stayed on. I then earthed both sensors, light stayed on but it flickers. I am now leaning towards an electrical problem rather then an oil problem.

Does anyone know where the resistor is on a 2000? All other posts say beside the right accelerator peddle but its not there!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
This arvo I disconnected both sensors, light stayed on. I then earthed both sensors, light stayed on but it flickers. I am now leaning towards an electrical problem rather then an oil problem.

Does anyone know where the resistor is on a 2000? All other posts say beside the right accelerator peddle but its not there!
I have a 2000 and if we have it I don't know where it is, not in my kick panel that I've ever found anyway, it could also be an earthing issue, these switches don't "make" power through contact they "make" earth, so check the wiring for any damage and also check the main earths on the engine, front drivers side just behind the battery earth on the engine, undo clean and spray them and try again.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
I have a 2000 and if we have it I don't know where it is, not in my kick panel that I've ever found anyway, it could also be an earthing issue, these switches don't "make" power through contact they "make" earth, so check the wiring for any damage and also check the main earths on the engine, front drivers side just behind the battery earth on the engine, undo clean and spray them and try again.
Does your engine have two oil pressure sensors?. I thought the early ZDs only had one.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Does your engine have two oil pressure sensors?. I thought the early ZDs only had one.
Mine only has one, behind the starter motor, 2 on a GUII confused me a little as well, not sure what is going on there.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Mine only has one, behind the starter motor, 2 on a GUII confused me a little as well, not sure what is going on there.
Yeah mate that's what I thought.

Wonder if the OP's vehicle has a later model ZD fitted?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,202 Posts
Yeah mate that's what I thought.

Wonder if the OP's vehicle has a later model ZD fitted?
Possible, mines a 2003 block, which was used in the rebuild in 2006.

·
Registered
nissan
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I was wondering if I had a different engine fitted to as I have the two sensors. Will have to dig out the engine number and have a look.
Definitely a wiring problem, I drove about 200kms today with the oil light on and not a problem!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi all
I am having trouble with the oil light in my 2005 model staying on also
The light stays on after starting
stopped the motor checked the oil - level ok
Try again - same result
Contact RACV mechanic who came and had a look and suggested it might be the sensor as he has seen it before but wanted to check pressure with gauge to make sure
Now the problem increases
removed sensor and hook up gauge
Pressures should be 150kpa at idle
700kpa at 4000rpm
Pressure gauge showed 700kpa at idle
due to range of gauge (800kpa) motor revs were not increased
Contacted Nissan dealer who was not all that helpful - his suggestion was not to drive vehicle as pressures may blow the seals but tow it to a dealer to carry out further tests
Vehicle towed to nearest dealer (120km away)
After 3 hrs work the cause of the problem (high pressures) still undiagnosed
being Friday am now stuck in country Vic till Monday when investigation continues
Has any body else had this problem or have any idea of what the cause may be

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
It doesn't compute, the sensor breaks the ground once pressure is up so at 700 kPa it (light should stay off). There are 2 sensors and both have to break the ground for the light to go off. Easily checked, Start the engine and check the continuity to ground if none good!
Turn the engine off and both should turn the continuity to ground.

05 model shouldn't have the CrD version where actual pressure is monitored by ECU.

Did the RACV tech measured the pressure at the RHS sensor place?

Anyway what kind of morons are there? The oil pressure relieve valve and bypass valve are located on the filter housing and easily accesible but the pump regulator valve on the timing cover isn't, sump off and that means engine out....(only Datsun can be designed that way...:headwall:)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Yeah I was wondering if I had a different engine fitted to as I have the two sensors. Will have to dig out the engine number and have a look.
Definitely a wiring problem, I drove about 200kms today with the oil light on and not a problem!
There are problems. Take pressure measurement after heavy loads (hot oil). Right sensor ground to ground to disable the left while the lamp is off.

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
Pressures should be 150kpa at idle
700kpa at 4000rpm
Pressure gauge showed 700kpa at idle
due to range of gauge (800kpa) motor revs were not increased
700 good pressure when oil is cold. The main thing that there was no more. 150 should be in the hot oil (Motor warmed to 80 degrees over 20 minutes or after heavy loads).

·
Registered
55 Posts
The pressure was measured on the side of the motor by the starter motor
After fitting the pressure gauge the motor was left to idle for 15 to 20 mins and the pressure never changed
The car is locked in the dealers workshop so will have to wait till Monday for more info

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
I had issues with my 05 zd30 and the oil light
My dealer said the engine had two oil pressure sensors
One for low pressure
One for high pressure
They replaced the high pressure one and no more issues
Sorry cannot say which one is which
Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
nissan
4 Posts
15 20 minutes can be enough to heat the oil to xx rpm. Which oil is used ?? I -30 is raised to 850 at the same time for the 2nd winter that does not happen. The main thing is not to raise much momentum until warmed oil.
Regarding sensors left on the low pressure of 0.25 bar (shorted to ground up to 0.25 bar).
Right high pressure of 1.5 bar (closed on the weight of up to 1.5, corresponding to a hot idling must be closed).

If you run it lights up continuously at full brightness, turn off the try right sensor wire shorted to ground and run again. If the lamp is not lit sensor to change the rules.
If the lamp blinks during pressure measurement do. On a hot (oil temperature is not less than 85 °, not to be confused with the temperature of the cooling system), the pressure should be less than 1.45 bar

Sorry for my english .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
127 Posts
I had the same issue and ended up being a broken wire connector on the high side sensor. Cleaned and soldered the wire to the connector. Fault gone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Finally have the car back
They replaced both the high and low pressure sensors and the light stayed on
Replaced the resistor block and the light finally went out
Checked oil pressure and was all ok
It appears the original test gauge was faulty

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts