Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A dedicated Oilfield and Mining tea shack thread were people in trade can chat just about anything related to global operations including. Work, operations, locations and general banter.

this not a job agency or seeking employment thread.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So Benno's how you feeling after completing your first 8 weeks with our Sub Sahara operations.

Not easy is it, but not hard either first hitch is always the hardest mate. As for me I am totally worn out looking forward to kicking back in SA for a few days then of I'm to TETE. Africa can drain and harden sole due to location, heat and just hundred different dialects to deal with. Don't worry AUS is just around the corner. Have good flight back to SA and Oz and pleasure having you on crew. PS I increased the odds today to 4/1 if you come back. Mark has you at 9/1 not coming back "LOL"

P.s I told him your not Amish. Just sporting a long beard.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,832 Posts
Got home this morning at 01:30, then an hour drive south, left Lagos at 21:20 Thurs GMT. Gonna kick back and do bugger all today (actually, been crawling under the troll getting serial number off roo bar to get parts from nizbizz, now I am going to do bugger all).

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
First hitch well um how do you sum it up into words. Hell springs to mind at present haha.
All in all it hasn't been to bad. Certainly an eye opener il Give it that. Working in oz is simple compared to that. There is just nothing that I could think of that compares to Africa.

And db I'm in a similar boat. Just departed port gentil this morning. Sitting in libreville now. Back to sa tonight on the red eye flight then back to Perth Tuesday night and over to Brisbane Wednesday night. Arrive in brisbane Thursday 545am.

Sent from somewhere where I shouldn't be posting on forums

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only strong survive it takes a certain person to do this work. It's not suited to all that's why we and other company's have a shortfall. I love it and know nothing else really I guess that's why it suits ex military people as there use to time away and just been able to make the most of the situation. Your role is quite demanding as carries way more preparation then most jobs due to constant locations changes.

I wasn't sure if you made it out as that storm came in quick. I spotted a few planes circle and return back to LBV. Weather seems to be clearing and it better clear as I need window to get out.

Get home safe, fix them tires and switch off.

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
Lucky buggers all on your way home . I was in between flights last on my way home Tuesday week ago ( 5th ) then got called to another job .
Just a couple of days they told me . Job wont take long they told me .
Well here I am almost 2 weeks later and I think I'll still be offshore next week .
Stupid bloody oil wells and them not doing what they're supposed to .
Why do workovers never go as planned

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not on the way home. week 8 and 4 more to go but I'm taking the weekend off in country were I will just catch up on some sleep. When I was offshore with slickline they always say can you make up the crew just for a few days. 28 days later same old same old. Stupid old me then transferred to coil tubing and spent two years milling out valves, pumping or nitrogen. That was the hardest two years of my life. Rebuilding a spm pump offshore in online time in rain and covered in base oil was not what I call golden days. The flip side to it was the amount of experience you can absorb. Every time I jumped on chopper I looked back after departing the heli deck and saying " I Quit".

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
who has said I'll do this for 5 years then I'm out, old timers laughed at me when I first said it....8 years ago now

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
You lot can have your 8 week plus rosters! Too much for me let alone being stuck in the middle of the ocean with nowhere to go, could do the overseas bit just not like you guys, hats off to ya.
But like most of us that are still that little bit saine it's all about the days off not so much the days on, we all love it otherwise we wouldn't be there.
I'll stick to my 8/6, yep that's days, and yeah I know it's ladies hours keep getting told that by the wife.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
I'm in oil & gas also but like Madkiwi I'm happy to do my bit on dry land. I have a decent roster 4 days on 4 days off working days only no night shift every 8th swing we have 12 days off paid also 7 weeks holidays a year so only working just over 3 months of the year and the moneys not to bad to boot.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
i am on 14 days on 14 days off all day shift. this is one of my favourite rosters.

·
nissan patrol
15,832 Posts
who has said I'll do this for 5 years then I'm out, old timers laughed at me when I first said it....8 years ago now
lol, that amount of times that was said to me way back when, the amount of times I have said that to newb's in the last 30 years. Started saying after 5 years as I knew by then I have found what I wanted to do.

·
nissan patrol
15,832 Posts
i am on 14 days on 14 days off all day shift. this is one of my favourite rosters.
28/28, for me, the best as far as I am concerned, done all the others, 7/7, 14/14. 21/21 and 35/35. The 28/28 just seems to hit the spot.

·
nissan patrol
15,832 Posts
First hitch well um how do you sum it up into words. Hell springs to mind at present haha.
All in all it hasn't been to bad. Certainly an eye opener il Give it that. Working in oz is simple compared to that. There is just nothing that I could think of that compares to Africa.

And db I'm in a similar boat. Just departed port gentil this morning. Sitting in libreville now. Back to sa tonight on the red eye flight then back to Perth Tuesday night and over to Brisbane Wednesday night. Arrive in brisbane Thursday 545am.

PG is a great place as far as Africa goes, hate LBV.

You should see if they will let you fly LBV Dubai Perth. Beats the hell out of SAA / Quantshyte and Jo'burg and there are more flights per day with Emirates.

But then again, knowing HaliB for the tight barstards they are, they will likely tell you to phish off coz it costs $10 more lol.

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
I'm on an 8/6 7/7 at the moment, one swing of days then another of nights, great roster, 8 days is enough for me :) good roster for a young bloke I think, did 4/3 for a little while, absolutely sucked, having every single weekend off was good but your always coming and going, never get much chance to get stuck into things.

·
Registered
nissan partol GQ
915 Posts
Thats the problem with oil and gas pipeline construction, could be on upto 4 different projects in a year with different rosters.
Aus landlines 28/9 days
Aus offshore Victoria 2/2 weeks
Aus offshore WA 3/3 weeks
Offshore out of Aus 6/3 weeks.
3/3 is my favourite, but this 28/9 is a good earner, 36hr pay on your week off too.

This is my last swing anyway, taking 3 months of in May to do Cape York trip!!

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
lol, that amount of times that was said to me way back when, the amount of times I have said that to newb's in the last 30 years. Started saying after 5 years as I knew by then I have found what I wanted to do.
I envy all people that have found what they want to do!

Kudos to you.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
PG is a great place as far as Africa goes, hate LBV.

You should see if they will let you fly LBV Dubai Perth. Beats the hell out of SAA / Quantshyte and Jo'burg and there are more flights per day with Emirates.

But then again, knowing HaliB for the tight barstards they are, they will likely tell you to phish off coz it costs $10 more lol.
Yeah Emirates I'd say is way to nice for this mob to fly me with haha. Plus I'm not always in pg so its sorta just easier to base in sa and go from there.
Though thinking about seeing if they would do the direct Sydney to joberg Qantas flight but I shall see.
But I would to see Dubai airport as I've heard its pretty flash.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DB were Weatherford. He could go from POG via dubai but our main base is South Africa. SA to Perth is 10 hours. Same for me Africa general to Ethiopia via Thailand and then Philippines. Problem is i like doing a bit 4wd parts shopping in South Africa. How cheap the parts and they pay you back your tax on leaving the airport.

When are they going to devalue the African french Frank so things can be more in line with the euro. POG is very expensive these days.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Reading the days that you landlubbers (imao) work, I am glad to be working 5 and 5 (that's weeks by the way too). By the time week 4 at home comes round, I am screaming to get back to sea. Think I should have stayed single, ha ha.

1 - 20 of 566 Posts