Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
501 - 520 of 566 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
Honstly i didnt know people welded it i always weld in channels to screw it to in switch boards. They always want it white and boards another colour

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
But she wasn't feeding it, "that would be instant dismissal"......LOL

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,723 Posts
On the news this morning they said her leg may need to be amputated and also needs further plastic surgery.

Glad I’m not up there just now, there’s a big shutdown on which is a nightmare at the best of times.

The prestart meeting’s incident appraisal will be interesting.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,126 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,723 Posts
There’s also the media spin.

They quoted an unnamed local as saying “there’s a fair few dingoes around the mine but they’re quite uncommon in the town itself”

First of all, there IS no town... hasn’t been for at least twenty years, it’s a mine camp like any other. Hence you can’t be a ‘local’, no one lives there permanently it’s 100% fifo.

Secondly there is AT LEAST as many dingoes around camp as there is at the mine. To get from the mess to my donga I have to walk past at least a dozen of them waltzing around like they own the joint.

The news has also stated the lady was ‘in a designated lunch area and screamed for ten minutes until someone came to help’.

Hmm.

How you could scream for ten minutes in a ‘designated lunch area’ (crib room lol) without being heard, has me bewildered. I’ll also add this was during a major maintenance shutdown so there was triple the workforce compared to normal. So where was she? Dunno.

If you go out to whoop whoop, say the tailings dam pumps or whatever you’re required to be in pairs, and at least one of you has to have this dog pepper spray they hand out, so it couldn’t have been out there.

August last year I was up there on nightshift as a rigger replacing an 800m section of pipe, about 4kms east of the plant, there was me, a fitter, a boily, a TA and the franna driver and about 2am there was a lot of growling and we watched about 8 dingoes on a small sand hill in a semi circle behind us, only about ten metres away and yes it was quite disconcerting and you always made sure someone else was closer to them than you, and you had a very big spanner with you haha!

So I can’t say I’m entirely surprised but some things don’t add up. Guess I’ll hear about it when I get back to work.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,723 Posts
Right. The dingo attack.

I’m not much wiser than I was before I came back, but clearly I haven’t interrogated the right people.

I was more concerned about bailing up the superintendent regarding lack of biscuits to dip in my coffee at the daily prayer (aka morning pre-start meeting) who defensively coughed up a likely story of a broken down truck near Newman and said the birds in the office were spewing from the rooftops because the hi-lo milk is on the same truck.

I think he’d rather deal with a plant explosion than raise the ire of the office girls, just quietly.

Anyway I digress...

I don’t even know where it happened. It was played down on site, apparently the supervisors just came around handing out pamphlets, reminding everyone not to feed them (dingoes that is, not supervisors) and noting there had been a woman vs dogs incident, but it wasn’t on the news until a few days later and until then no one had any idea how bad it was.

There’s certainly a lot less of them around the place just now, and word around the campfire is there was somewhat of a cull, a ‘large truckload’ worth, but that hasn’t been confirmed beyond heresay.

However, back at camp, the infinite generosity of the Newcrest shareholder has supplied the ultimate solution.

Dingo-be-good sticks.

Armed with one of these bad boys, in the twilight of dawn your menacing profile would scare off a taliban regiment let alone the pack leader of the local dingo population, I’m sure you’d agree.

I shall endeavour to subject learned personnel to subsequent interrogation and report my further findings.

Standby.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,251 Posts
Has everyone been briefed in the safe usage of one of those poly pipe whackers? :D

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,251 Posts
After you get a permit for use

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,723 Posts
There's been yet another death in the mines overnight, this time at Channar which is a Rio Tinto iron ore site about 40 odd kms south east of Paraburdoo. When I first saw this my heart skipped a beat as the company I work for does some work there, but I think that crew is at West Ang or Marandoo at the moment. It turns out it was a haul pack driver, veered off the road at about 11 last night.

My young bloke does FIFO at Jimblebar east of Newman, he installs and maintains the driverless systems that run BHP's haul packs, he has described some of the videos they have of the systems they install for some mines that monitor the drivers and if they detect drivers falling asleep they shake the seat, scream buzzers and alert supervisors. I'm not saying this is what has happened here, but 11 at night and veered off the road, it's not an unlikely guess and perhaps one of these systems would have saved this driver.

It's only two years since this site had its last fatality, a diesel mechanic.

Telfer's last one was about three years ago I think, a rigger was crushed by a section of pipe that rolled on him. When I first went to Telfer a year ago, it was as a rigger, replacing pipes. At the time I wondered why the area I was working in was crawling with safety squeezers and various supervisors etc before I found this out.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/busines...ine-fatality-at-paraburdoo-site-ng-b88929984z

In any case, condolences to the person's family and friends.

To all you folks at work in the mines or rigs this week, take care you have important people at home. If you're falling asleep on night shift tell the boss and deal with it properly.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
....systems they install for some mines that monitor the drivers and if they detect drivers falling asleep they shake the seat, scream buzzers and alert supervisors.
Most of RTIO's fleet in the Pilbara have fatigue monitoring systems in them. It will be interesting to see if this truck had one or not.

I have a few contacts at Rio, none of them are saying much. There might be a bit more to this story.

Condolences to this poor blokes family.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,685 Posts
Sad to hear.
No amount of money is worth not making it home to your loved ones. RIP dude.

I like shiny stuff

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,723 Posts
Most of RTIO's fleet in the Pilbara have fatigue monitoring systems in them. It will be interesting to see if this truck had one or not.

I have a few contacts at Rio, none of them are saying much. There might be a bit more to this story.

Condolences to this poor blokes family.
Yeah I thought Rio's trucks all had them, maybe not.

At Jimblebar where my young bloke works they are all driverless, so I guess that will be all of them sooner or later.

At povo spec Telfer they certainly have drivers... But they do have fatigue detection systems. I recall one of the drivers whinging that he sneezed and must have had his eyes shut too long and the truck slammed on its own brakes and he nearly went through the windscreen :)

My young bloke reckons BHP's Westrac dump trucks are rated to 240 tonnes, but he's seen them loaded to as much as 320 in his logging software on a few occasions and nobody seems to care. They certainly tip over easier overloaded, and he reckons they tip over a lot more often than you hear about, driverless or not.

Interesting to hear further info on this one from Channar.

501 - 520 of 566 Posts