Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
561 - 580 of 606 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
So I’ve made myself unpopular . . .
Like I said, wear the badge with pride. The blokes working for you will love you for it except the slackers who will be encouraged to go elsewhere.

I've spent a couple of years in mine construction and although some blokes would continually bitch about the food I'd say that on average it was pretty darn good and I typically put on more weight on site than I did at home. That stuff in the photos looks terrible and I've never seen anything that bad in any of the camps I've been in.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
For the second time in a fortnight, a worker has been killed in a mine accident in WA.

A drill and blast operator has lost his life, a young bloke of 25.

Happening a bit too often, condolences to his family.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
I expected better from FMG
I think that as it has grown Fortescue's once stellar reputation for safety and worker satisfaction has dwindled somewhat. Twiggy still seems to be big on those issues, at least compared to Gina, but maintaining that emphasis through an ever expanding company might be difficult.

·
Registered
Nissan
141 Posts
alot also has to be placed at the feet of the workers, who dont seem to give a chit, and expect everyone else to look out for them
(we have several of them on the site I am at - and they are slowly being weeded out)

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
I’m not sure how many of you play with this sort of stuff but I’m on my own in this one and hope someone might have an idea. Currently 10.30pm on nightshift, I’m commissioning a crushing plant and I can’t get a belt (from primary crusher to screen house) to go.

It has two x 75kW motors, I have isolated individually and bumped to determine correct direction but it’s very hard to tell as it barely moves. They are both DOL and turning the instant trip right up to a bit over 1250 amps each is the only way to stop each one tripping its breaker, but something won’t let it turn as it trips out on overload a few seconds later.

With fan cover off I can turn it a smidge by hand to confirm direction which suggests there is NOT an issue with an incorrect backstop in one of the gearboxes.

I have the crushers off and two x 1 MW generators are on to feed the show so power shouldn’t be an issue in any way.

This is from the tail end.

Wood Engineering Beam Gas Composite material

So any ideas? I don’t think the backstops are an issue (but I’m not positive), motors are clearly quite loaded until they trip and I don’t want to destroy the sprag clutches or I’ll never hear the end of it from the mechs.

@Overboard @Haggie

Any thoughts if anyone plays with this stuff would be great. Meanwhile I have to calibrate the rock breaker so I’ll get back to this later.

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
28,554 Posts
And the problem was.................................. :unsure:

Foo

Reactions: grumpyone

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,874 Posts
And the problem was.................................. :unsure:

Foo
The flux capacitor was out of unobtanium. Easy, any first year apprentice would have picked that. 🙄

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
It’s difficult to bump test with gearbox attached. Suspecting wrong direction I had isolated each motor a tried to start off one. With breakers loaded up to over 1400 amps (FLA 125 so that’s a bit naughty but I called the engineer in control and requested a one second bump only) I still had issues.

Trying to think of the most unlikely issues… and considering the lack of trust I have for a couple of my idiots I belled out the motors and confirmed that A was labeled B and vice versa. So when I reversed direction (swapping two phases) in each and tested, I was still in fact testing the other one that I hadn’t changed.

One was wrong direction, hence they worked against each other and wouldn’t move. Probably saved the sprag clutch too.

My main hint was when motor A breaker tripped half a second earlier than B, and belt surged forward for a second

So when the day crew came in I had stern words with the guy who signed off the test sheet confirming all cables correct and as labeled - the verification documentation I used to acquire a NOE to allow commissioning in the first place… he is under no doubt as to my very precise views regarding his competence and work ethic.

Good lesson, glad it was my suspicion in a way just couldn’t quite nail it.

Satisfying lesson!

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,067 Posts
Good to see you sorted it. The bubba who connected it probably did not think that maybe one motor should go the opposite direction. Or he just followed the itps and they were wrong?

Had the same on a log peeler. I did not trust the chinamen who built it. Dropped of the drive chains and checked all four motors going the correct direction. Albeit way easier than yours.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,067 Posts
Bit more sophisticated than the log peelers I used when fencing, a bar and axe.
You have not lived until you have backed out some round posts into splits.

They run the hardwood plantation thinnings through the peeler to round them up. The plan is to find a market for them. As you know not all hardwood is suitable to be put directly into the ground.

This is the second one I have done in the last couple of years.

Reactions: rgren2

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Well you may be amused to note there was some rock breaker calibration fail.

Yellow Wood Engineering Gas Metal

lol

Mechs wanted a carton until I pointed out a few of their f&$# ups I’ve dealt with lately haha!

Sky Cloud Vehicle Boat Naval architecture

That’s the rock breaker in its correct position. Basically any huge boondies that won’t fit in the jaw crusher are rammed by remote by this bad boy until they fit, then it returns to resting location awaiting the next errant boondie.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Wheel

That‘s where it was until it was wired so it could be moved, hence the handrail, um, ‘interaction’.

561 - 580 of 606 Posts