Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
581 - 600 of 606 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Cloud Sky Wood Landscape Bridge

Cloud Sky Wood Asphalt Road surface

First ever dirt through the jaw crusher!

Pretty exciting when you’ve flogged your arse off for four months since it was all a big flat patch of dirt.

Still a lot to do but they waited until we came in this arvo to run it which was really nice.

It’s bogged now but meh… baby steps lol

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
That‘s where it was until it was wired so it could be moved, hence the handrail, um, ‘interaction’.
Is the reinforced bin beside the handrail damaged as well? Can't tell from the pic if the rib on the side of the bin is curved upwards as part of the construction or inwards from an impact.

Go ahead and put up your pics and a commentary.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Well I’m halfway through my last shift in this job. I am utterly buggered… been here three weeks yesterday, and currently on 15th straight nightshift of an average 14 hours.
I’ll have three days at home then fly out to new job on Friday, just in time for three straight days of 46 degrees haha!
Tonight we should hit 4000 tonnes for the night. Nowhere near production volumes (a train takes 30,000t, so we need to crush 60,000t as it’s a 50/50 split of fines and lump with current crusher settings) but still fine tuning. Main issue is belt wander with too much product, if it rides up the side rollers too far on stackers it dumps on to return belt and bogs tail pulley and drive pulley spins in belt and trips out on under speed, then we spend an hour with shovels to sort it. Just what you want to do in the middle of a hot, humid pilbara night lol

In current configuration should do 6Mt a year, and with additional secondary cone and screens will do 10Mt.

My boss has been nothing but supportive right to the end, still teaching me bits and pieces as we go, and reiterating that I can come back any time I want, ever, and he’ll make room, which is nice to know.

I’ll have to try hard not to sook up when he kicks me out at the site airport in the morning, he was going to come home too to take me out for a pub lunch but it’s a little too hectic here so he has to stay.

Telling the apprentices I was leaving was almost as hard as telling the boss. They are both really switched on girls and I’ve really enjoyed teaching them stuff, and they were pretty upset I was going too.

This chapter of my life is drawing to a close, still unsure if it’s the right thing or not but time will tell. I’m treating the six month probation at the gold mine as the opportunity to decide if I like them, not the other way around.

Mixed feelings here just now… really wondering if it’s the right thing, knots in my stomach.

Oh well… too late now …

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Oh… I said I’d detail how a small plant works.

Cat 992 loaders dump into crusher bin (2 loaders going constantly when up to speed, 22 to 25 tonnes per bucket).

Sky World Building Electricity Slope

It lands on a grate called a grizzly feeder which vibrates at an adjustable rate via VSD and smaller stuff goes straight through to belt, big boondies (up to wheelbarrow size) move along to jaw crusher.

Wood Building Flooring Tints and shades Hardwood

If any rocks are too big for the jaw to grab, we use a remote control to move the rock breaker (big orange hydraulic rammer) to smash them in half so the jaw grabs them

Building Electricity Tower Engineering Sky

From there it’s all on to the lower feed belt up to top bin of screen building. This has a belt feeder on each side to feed the screens.

Building Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Engineering

The screens separate the product into three sizes. Stuff that can’t get through top screen is oversize, and heads on a conveyor back to crushing, to another belt feeder and in to cone crusher, then back on to feed belt back to top of screen to be sized again.

If it fits through top screen but not second screen it is ‘lump’ and heads out along a couple of belts and transfers to the lump stacker.

If it falls through the lump screen it is ‘fines’ and goes on the fines belt to the fines stacker.

Naval architecture Sky Gas Engineering Wood

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Headlamp Bumper

Screen building;

Cloud Wheel Tire Sky Asphalt

Crusher building;

Cloud Sky Building Electricity Urban design

The stackers are radial stackers meaning the tail is a fixed pivot point and bogeys will move on an arc of 80 degrees creating kidney shaped stock piles when they’re used. At the moment the radial drives aren’t connected as we don’t have permission from the muppets, they are treating it as mobile plant and want earth leakage, even though the drives are VSD driven and will require EL set at 150ma which would still kill most people so pointless but meh… so they’re temporarily fixed point stackers.

Sky Wood Building Water Architecture

Well I’m really sorry some pics are sideways or upside down, apparently that’s my fault not the forum software even though this is the only place in the entire intergoogleinstafacetube it happens lol

So don’t waste your breath whinging at me 😇

Well that’s a really over simplified explanation of a small crushing plant but it’s very efficient and cost effective. It will usually feed (through splitter gates) straight to Rio’s stockyard belts and our stackers are just for temporary storage when main stockyard belt or TLO (train load out) is down for maintenance.

This will have an additional cone crusher and screen building added in about Feb/March which will increase capacity to about 10Mt a year. Powered by 4 x 1000kW generatirs

Compares to Rio’s $3.5B flagship screen and crusher next door that should do 42Mt a year.

Water Sky Daytime Vehicle World

Any questions I’ll try my hardest to answer but no promises!

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
Earth leakage protection at levels above 30ma is not for personal protection but for equipment protection. The main issue is that earth leakage levels higher than about 100ma can light fires if the conditions are right. This is of particular concern in coal mines but not too much of an issue elsewhere. Having thought about that briefly I guess that paper mills and flour mills and a whole heap of other places can make good use of high levels of earth leakage protection but I would have thought that most mine sites could cope with 1000ma or more of earth leakage without issue.

How does the ore get to where the loaders are dropping it into the bin, how far away is the enrichment plant and how does it get there? Are the bogeys on the stacking converor powered or do they just get towed into position?

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
3,067 Posts
Oh… I said I’d detail how a small plant works.

Cat 992 loaders dump into crusher bin (2 loaders going constantly when up to speed, 22 to 25 tonnes per bucket).

View attachment 537484

It lands on a grate called a grizzly feeder which vibrates at an adjustable rate via VSD and smaller stuff goes straight through to belt, big boondies (up to wheelbarrow size) move along to jaw crusher.

View attachment 537485

If any rocks are too big for the jaw to grab, we use a remote control to move the rock breaker (big orange hydraulic rammer) to smash them in half so the jaw grabs them

View attachment 537486

From there it’s all on to the lower feed belt up to top bin of screen building. This has a belt feeder on each side to feed the screens.

View attachment 537487

The screens separate the product into three sizes. Stuff that can’t get through top screen is oversize, and heads on a conveyor back to crushing, to another belt feeder and in to cone crusher, then back on to feed belt back to top of screen to be sized again.

If it fits through top screen but not second screen it is ‘lump’ and heads out along a couple of belts and transfers to the lump stacker.

If it falls through the lump screen it is ‘fines’ and goes on the fines belt to the fines stacker.

View attachment 537489
View attachment 537488

Screen building;

View attachment 537490

Crusher building;

View attachment 537491

The stackers are radial stackers meaning the tail is a fixed pivot point and bogeys will move on an arc of 80 degrees creating kidney shaped stock piles when they’re used. At the moment the radial drives aren’t connected as we don’t have permission from the muppets, they are treating it as mobile plant and want earth leakage, even though the drives are VSD driven and will require EL set at 150ma which would still kill most people so pointless but meh… so they’re temporarily fixed point stackers.

View attachment 537492

Well I’m really sorry some pics are sideways or upside down, apparently that’s my fault not the forum software even though this is the only place in the entire intergoogleinstafacetube it happens lol

So don’t waste your breath whinging at me 😇

Well that’s a really over simplified explanation of a small crushing plant but it’s very efficient and cost effective. It will usually feed (through splitter gates) straight to Rio’s stockyard belts and our stackers are just for temporary storage when main stockyard belt or TLO (train load out) is down for maintenance.

This will have an additional cone crusher and screen building added in about Feb/March which will increase capacity to about 10Mt a year. Powered by 4 x 1000kW generatirs

Compares to Rio’s $3.5B flagship screen and crusher next door that should do 42Mt a year.

View attachment 537493

Any questions I’ll try my hardest to answer but no promises!
Thanks for the insights.

My brother is into his second swing here - Oyu Tolgoi

Scroll down on the link page and there is a nice animation on how it all works.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Earth leakage protection at levels above 30ma is not for personal protection but for equipment protection. The main issue is that earth leakage levels higher than about 100ma can light fires if the conditions are right. This is of particular concern in coal mines but not too much of an issue elsewhere. Having thought about that briefly I guess that paper mills and flour mills and a whole heap of other places can make good use of high levels of earth leakage protection but I would have thought that most mine sites could cope with 1000ma or more of earth leakage without issue.

How does the ore get to where the loaders are dropping it into the bin, how far away is the enrichment plant and how does it get there? Are the bogeys on the stacking converor powered or do they just get towed into position?
I asked the boss today, the earth leakage for this is required to be set at an amp! Yep that’s right. An amp. Certainly not for personal protection but in Rio land it is.

The bogeys are driven by four motors each, via VSD, and each motor has a brake to release it as well from a separate circuit due to VSD on motor drives.

They move in an 80 degree arc each and should dump about 40,000t each kidney, so enough for a train each.

They are controlled by GPS set up at the head end, which determines their direction change.

In normal use they won’t be used, the two feeder belts to the stackers have splitter gates and divert to transfer chutes on to the main feed belts to Rio’s stockyard where there are a pair of stackers and a large bucket wheel reclaimer. If that is down for maintenance or repairs, the splitters divert to our radial stackers. The product is taken by 992 cat loaders about 250 metres down to a set of apron feeders that feed a belt that dumps in to a transfer chute directly on to the TLO feed belt, so basically straight on to the trains.

Each train has about 250 carts that hold about 130t each. It goes straight to port at Karratha from there.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
So my baptism of fire… probably more literally than that expression is usually intended.

I fly out to my new job on Friday. Quite warm.

Font Technology Screenshot Gadget Electronic device

Looking forward to Tuesday’s cool change of 44 🥵

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,582 Posts
You can have that to yourself. I hope WA stays shut till the winter, as I've been told I'll probably have to go over to do a job at one of the mines.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
I asked the boss today, the earth leakage for this is required to be set at an amp!
Yeah, 1000ma is normal for the hard rock mining environment.

Looking forward to Tuesday’s cool change of 44 🥵
Hmmm, Monday is 45 degrees with 80% humidity? There won't be much work getting done that day. Sounds like a good day for watching training videos in the mess or doing paperwork.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
So I flew up to new job on Friday, now a few days in.

Despite suffering through four days (and counting) of this sort of crap…

Gesture Happy Font Electric blue Brand

It’s been an interesting start. I’m back at the bottom of the pecking order (and that’s a good thing, still have too much to learn to be comfortable supervising which is one of the reasons I took the job).

I think boss has a sense of humour. First day he put me with the contractor who is on his way out the door because he didn’t get the full time gig….

….due to me getting it lol

They are certainly not in a hurry to get much done. I got told that they used to spin out at the rate we got shlt done when I was here with my old mob, but “there’s no need to cook yourself - stay fresh for breakdowns”

Yesterday there was a panic, issue with one of the four 6.5Mw 11kV ball mill motors. We stripped the brushes and meggered the windings, first got only 0.7megohms, this is a $1.1million motor, weighs 34 tonnes and takes two days to swap for the spare.

Boss shrugged his shoulders and said to blow out the carbon dust around the slip rings as he didn’t reckon it was done properly last shutdown.

Engineering Plumbing valve Gas Valve Machine

Wouldn’t you know it… several gigohm phase to earth, happy days.

I’ve helped change a mill motor here before and didn’t fancy doing it in this heat on my first swing.

Old boss has texted twice to ask if I’m bored yet and should he book me a flight to the Rio site lol

Onwards and hopefully upwards…

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
this is a $1.1million motor, weighs 34 tonnes and takes two days to swap for the spare.
I hope that it's in the normal maintenance cycle to do insulation checks on the "spare" motor. I heard of one place that went to swap in their spare homogenous grinding motor, that had been in the wharehouse unused for years, only to find that its insulation readings were unacceptable. It came good within a couple of days after being fitted with space heaters and purged with dry nitrogen. There was a bit of panic to begin with though.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
Good question OB, I wouldn’t know but I’ll ask out of interest 👍

Given the dry heat here for most of the year I’d imagine it would be less of an issue than it may be nearer the coast but they love to tell you it’s $3k a minute while it’s not running (unscheduled) so it’s worth asking.

Reactions: Foo

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
You can have that to yourself. I hope WA stays shut till the winter, as I've been told I'll probably have to go over to do a job at one of the mines.
Feb 5th mate… only a couple of degrees cooler than hottest time in pilbara but most humid by a long shot.

Pub lunch in Perth on your way through (I’m a fan 😇)…

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
There’s not much in the way of better feelings than fly out day… especially after nightshift.

Plane lands home at 11.55 …. If that’s not God’s way of telling me to have a pub lunch I don’t know what is 😝

So misso will pick me up and take me to a pub where we’ll meet my good mate Mick, beers will be drunk meat will be consumed.

Oh… sadly, early this morning it seems a fault developed with the belt tensioner on one of the stackers… but… well….

World Human Eyelash Font Travel

Ah it’s a good life…🤣🤣🤣

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
So there’s been a shutdown on at work for the least week and a bit.

In the course of normal inspections of the ball mill motors (clean out carbon dust, replace filters, measure brushes and replace if required, check spring tension, megger etc), there was a large state of panic, as in, “so who’s going to tell the boss”, type panic.

There appears to have been a larger than normal build up of carbon dust from the brushes, which has caused a good deal of arcing, which has blown a hole through a 40mm diameter solid support stud.

There is molten metal all over the floor of the enclosure and it’s not pretty.

Door Wood Fixture Stairs Building

Automotive tire Gas Wood Engineering Machine

The motor was still running prior to this.

Apparently at some pointe recently it had gone down hard but was then restarted and nobody queried it. The engineers blamed ops, ops blamed maintenance, maintenance said get stuffed we service it as per engineering specifications 🤣

So due to labour shortages in mining we were well short staffed for this shut down, as in about 250 odd people short, and then we had to ‘add in’ a small job for a 250t crane to lift out a 36t, $1.1 million, 6.5 megawatt 3300 volt motor and replace it with the spare.

Not a five minute job, and when the spare was in place I was wiring the RTDs which were not labeled on removal (🤬), and the heater and fans etc and engineers and assorted higher ups and the HV guy flown up to suss it out (he will be repairing the cooked unit back in Perth) were all pacing up and down and sniffing around constantly, very frustrating. Even the safety squeezers got told to keep a wide berth haha!

@Overboard had queried build up of moisture in the spare motor when I mentioned them a while back, so I asked.
The spare is vac sealed in plastic, and when here it is parked up next to a substation where the heater circuit can be hardwired to a plug to keep it dry.

It meggered at 30 to 40 gigohms and the engineers were very happy so I guess that’s acceptable.

It’s funny seeing an empty space where the motor lives (there’s 4 - each mill has 2).

Building Public space Wood Gas City

So the old motor should be back in about 8 weeks old mate reckons.

We’ll see… but given the depth of the shlt we’ll be in if another one goes down before this unit gets back I guess someone in the office will be enthusiastically following its progress 😎

We’ll that’s me… I stayed back to help with the shutdown so I’m flying home today, just three days off then back here Friday for nightshift.

Oh joy.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
The spare is vac sealed in plastic, and when here it is parked up next to a substation where the heater circuit can be hardwired to a plug to keep it dry.
The motor I mentioned was sealed in plastic too but that had been damaged in transit and nothing done about it. I think the heaters had been powered up to begin with but hat got canned somewhere down the track when they wanted to relocate where they were stored. You can bet that the next spare always had the heaters on.

It meggered at 30 to 40 gigohms and the engineers were very happy
I'd be pretty happy with that too.

I'm guessing that caused a trip but the flash cleared the problem so when they reset the breaker it appeared to be all good. After the damage to that motor I'd be getting some arc detection sensors in those slip ring boxes on all the motors to monitor what is going on. That way the next time there is a flash over you will have some information from the arc detection relay about what happened and it may shut things down faster (just milliseconds) so there is less damage. I know you've probably said it before but what's the supply voltage?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
19,035 Posts
…what's the supply voltage?
3.3kV mate.

I haven’t heard of arc detection as you describe, I’ll suggest it to the elec supervisor or the gingerbeers to look in to it.

Wouldn’t hold my breath though. About 18 months ago, some muppet left one of those doors open and they started up the mill. The poo hit the fan and it was decided they needed proxies on the doors to set off alarms if one wasn’t closed. So I welded brackets to the frame and bolted an L bracket to each door. I made a frame to mount the anaconda for the wiring with a J-box on one side, and used redundant cores originally for a pressure sensor in the fan ducting. This was not interlocked with the motor like an LOS, merely an alarm to DCS.

When we fitted the new motor, I asked the boss if he wanted all that reconnected. He offered an emphatic “absolutely not”, and added “18 months ago it was done, and the gingerbeers still haven’t programmed it in the PLC so it does absolutely nothing.”

I‘d like to be a fly on the wall when engineering comes asking when it will be reconnected 😎

Anyway the point of that is that there are still cores left in the cable from redundant pressure sensor, and a 110v control supply (I think there is a midstream marshalling panel so I can fit a 110/24v transformer to the din rail if these arc detection sensors use that instead).

But that’s food for thought, thanks OB 👍

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,792 Posts
I haven’t heard of arc detection as you describe,
These days many new instalations use arc flash relays that are integral with the Over Current/RCD relay but stand alone arc detection relays to use in conjunction with existing protection equipment are readily available and probably still dominate the industry. These devices are absolutely ideal for 3.3kv equipment. Some brands you are no doubt familiar with; NHP, Schneider and Eaton.

There are many other brands of the same stuff readily available but all my experience with this gear is now 6 years old so I'd say I'm pretty much out of touch with what's best.

581 - 600 of 606 Posts