Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Good one tweak'e, that was the document that I had a link to in post 2 of this thread however the link broke and I have not been able to find the document again. Perhaps one of the moderators would be kind enough to update the link on that post when time permits as it is a great read?

Interesting to note that Caltex's recommendation for a Japanese engine in the document "[FONT=&quot]Caltex's recommendation for Japanese four-cycle car, truck and bus diesel engines is Delo CXJ Multigrade SAE 15W-40[/FONT]"

Of course the CXJ was superseded by the Delo 400 Multigrade SAE 15W-40 which was "specifically designed for the latest electronically controlled diesel engines, including those fitted with EGR, experiencing high soot loading" :)

whitey1000 said:
i went down to the caltex depot and the women there told me to get a drum of havoline fully synthetic c3 sae 5-30 api sn/cf
I must say that I am not a fan of 5-30 oil for a diesel in Australia to begin with, secondly, it only has a cf rating which is a very old diesel spec. It does look like quite a good petrol engine oil though (although I tend to stay away from 5-30 oils there as well lol).

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
you will have to thank one of the toyota guys for the link.

talking of thin oils, wouldn't get be better to use an oil cooler than to use thick oils because the oil has thinned out to much in the heat ?
i have to check if nissan have the same setup but some run bypass valves on the internal oil cooler. running thicker oil means the oil has to be hotter before it gets put through the oil cooler.
trying to cool hot pistons with hot oil is not a great idea.
also heat going from oil cooler into the bottom of the block adds heat to the the cool water your trying to cool the head with.

with your guys such high air temps oil coolers would help a lot.

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
you will have to thank one of the toyota guys for the link.

talking of thin oils, wouldn't get be better to use an oil cooler than to use thick oils because the oil has thinned out to much in the heat ?
i have to check if nissan have the same setup but some run bypass valves on the internal oil cooler. running thicker oil means the oil has to be hotter before it gets put through the oil cooler.
trying to cool hot pistons with hot oil is not a great idea.
also heat going from oil cooler into the bottom of the block adds heat to the the cool water your trying to cool the head with.

with your guys such high air temps oil coolers would help a lot.
Hi tweak'e, I am guessing that whatever the oil pan temp is, it will be much cooler than the underside of the pistons but a supplementary oil cooler may not go astray :)

Other temps that are of concern are the ones at the crank journal bearings which typically see temps of 125-175c (the HTHS range of the oil specs).

As we have low revving diesels, we cannot rely on rpms to increase the 5W30s oil film strength at the crank journals but I also do not think that a supplementary oil cooler would be able to cool the oil sufficiently to make a 5W30 oil provide the same film strength as an "x"W40 weighed oil at those temps (2.9 cp vs 3.7 cp @ 150c) / say 2000 rpms?

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
i think that you could very easily cool down 30 to match a 40. the problem is it may end up acting more like a 50.
Well isn't that interesting, I will have to look into that :)

Cheers

·
Registered
24 Posts
hi
reading the oil debate just check with the dealer for your particular model for me I run Nissan oil specified by Nissan for my 2011 CRD and in perth its $38/ 5 litres

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,973 Posts
Yes, they are backwards compatible like the API standards

However, please note it may not be *best* from a wear perspective, it might be more to do with not fouling diesel particulate filters and the like ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
504 Posts
I came across the information on the Valvoline site that lists recommended oils for a ZD30, but the Maxlife Synthetic 5W40 is not listed in the oil chart. Is there any specific reason why it can't be used in the ZD30? I used to put the BP Visco 5000 5W-40 with specs:
ACEA C3
API SM/CF
BMW Longlife-04
Meets Fiat 9.55535-S2
Meets Ford WSS-M2C917-A
MB-Approval 229.31/ 229.51
VW 502 00 / 505 00/ 505 01

The Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 5W-40 specs:
SAE 5W-40
API SN/CF
ACEA A3/B4-04

And here is the Valvoline lub. advisor for the ZD30:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i would stick to diesel engines oils rather than the petrol ones.
BP Visco 5000 5W-40 and Valvoline Maxlife synthetic 5W-40 are petrol oils.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
504 Posts
Isn't the API SN/SM norm for petrol engines and CF for diesel engines? They are not dedicated diesel engine oils, I agree.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
CF is the diesel spec. CF is considered fairly low spec these days which is the giveaway that they are petrol orientated oils.
dedicated diesels oils last and perform a whole lot better than the equivalent spec petrol orientated oil.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
504 Posts
Most of car (not truck) dedicated diesel oils in Europe are API CF. If I want to go with a higher spec oil I need to look into the truck oils and omit the API CG spec that Nissan states must not be used in ZD30.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
504 Posts
Last night I read many threads around here regarding oils and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 is what many of us put in a ZD30. With higher spec than CF and dedicated diesel engine oil. I will go that way :driving:

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,973 Posts
Yeah I too run Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 ESP in my CRD. Its probably amongst the best oil for wear protection for the stock engine. Meaning, with the catalytic converter, with the EGR.

Older standard oils do better in the four ball wear test but arent compatible with modern diesels using the emissions control techs.

Whats for sure is that synthetic maximises the life of the engine over mineral oil.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Older standard oils do better in the four ball wear test but arent compatible with modern diesels using the emissions control techs.
i don't think thats quite true.
its generally only DPF engines you have to watch.
tho depends on what you call "older" oils. you simply cannot buy most of the old spec oils.

i had a chart somewhere which showed that diesel oils specs had less and less capacity for soot and a few other things. but then egr came along and the later specs had increased capacity with each new spec. funny enough the CG, spec that we can't use on the zd30, had the lowest spec of them all.
while injection tech made diesels cleaner, egr (zd30 was early high volume egr) made it dirtier.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,973 Posts
You certainly can poison a CAT through wrong oil. Or choke up your intake through EGR crud.

EGR systems and Cats in diesel engines which our CRDs have require certain characteristics in the oil specification. DPFs are another thing as well, but for just cats and EGR, there is an issue that can form with crud blocking the intake through the EGR. This is why NISSAN went on and on about Jaso DH1 compliance in their oil specification and not to use any oil. No otto cycle engine is immune from burning some oil.

AMSOIL AME (old oil blend) does 0.35 in the four ball wear test. AMSOIL DEO (modern oil blend) does more wear at 0.51. The facts are these requirements in modern diesel engines does introduce further wear as the oil blend has to be made at a compromise.

As you say though, apart from AMSOIL Im not aware of anyone else doing full synthetic oils meeting JASO DH-1. With mobil 1 I can only buy it in the ESP formulation which is safe for DPFs.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,973 Posts
Is there any specific reason why it can't be used in the ZD30?
This is what NISSAN officially say about the CRD engine oil in the ESM

"MODIFICATION NOTICE:
* The maintenance schedule of ZD30DDTi engine for Europe and Australia has been revised according to the introduction of common rail type engine.
* Specifications of recommended fluids and lubricants have been revised.

Diesel engine:
Genuine NISSAN engine oil

ZD engine (except for Europe):
API CE, CF or CF-4
JASO DH-1*1, *4

ZD engine (for Europe):
API CF-4, ACEA B3 or B3/E3, JASO DH-1*1, *4

NOTES:

*1: For further details, see “SAE viscosity number”.

*4: Never use API CG-4."

Note the following on CJ-4 oils

"Introduced in 2006. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2007 model year on-highway exhaust emission standards. CJ-4 oils are compounded for use in all applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, use of these oils with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or oil drain interval. CJ-4 oils are effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning, particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval."

But as has been said, CJ-4 oils will wear a little more than older blend oils if you still can get your hands on some. CJ-4 is about modern diesel engines needs and running ultra low sulphur diesel fuel.

Because your Maxlife Synthetic 5W40 is CF rated you meet the ESM specification if you were to use it

However mobil 1 delvac I consider to be a better diesel engine specific lubricant than Maxlife Synthetic 5W40.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
504 Posts
Oh, heaps of information here. Thanks a lot throwing some more light into it. I decided for Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 b/c as you state it is a better lubricant than Maxlife Syn. 5W-40.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,905 Posts
CASTROL MAGNATEC DIESEL 15W-40
Castrol Magnatec Diesel 15W-40 dedicated diesel technology maintains engine efficiency and responsiveness. Provides excellent soot handling performance thus minimising oil thickening and exceeds the most demanding limits in the latest industry standard diesel protection test. Suitable for naturally aspirated, turbocharged and inter-cooled turbochanrged engines. Also suitable for direct and indirect injection diesel engines. Not recommended for heavy commercial vehicle application or vehicles fitted with diesel particulate filters. Meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 requirements * As tested against the industry Sequence IVA wear test.

181 - 200 of 209 Posts