Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
G'day Tuco, IMHO I would not be putting in a 5W30 into an engine being operated under Cairn's climate.

If you are comfortable with the Mobil 1 (5W50), then stick to that. It has a B3 rating so will be ok under the Nissan warantee however the oil is not specifically made to cope with EGR deposits. Having said that, I would give it a try and get the oil analysed at 5k to see how it is coping with the EGR, they may say that it is still ok to keep until the scheduled 10k service interval.

Worst case, you would need to change it at 5k intervals.

Cheers,
Whitie
Thanks for the response Whitie.

I'm still a bit confused at your not puting 5W30 into the vehicle in "Cairns' climate". Cairns has a tropical, coastal, climate with periods of high rainfall and high humidity. I'm not sure how the rainfall and humidity would affect any engine lubrication at all.
Mean average temperatures in Cairns are significantly lower than many southern capitals.

From the BOM site -

Brisbane - mean average monthly maximum. 29.4°C
Absolute maximum recorded temperature 43.2°C (over 99 years 1887-1986)

Sydney - mean average monthly maximum. 25.9°C
Absolute maximum recorded temperature 45.3°C (over 153 years 1859-2012)

Melbourne - mean average monthly maximum. 25.9°C
Absolute maximum recorded temperature 45.6°C (over 157 years 1855-2012)

Hobart - mean average monthly maximum. 22.5°C
Absolute maximum recorded temperature 40.1°C (over 54 years 1958-2012)

.. by comparison..
Cairns - mean average monthly maximum. 31.4°C
Absolute maximum recorded temperature 40.5°C (over 69 years 1942-2012)

The figures indicate that Cairns absolute maximum is only 0.4°C higher than Hobart while some 5°C lower than Sydney or Melbourne.

Hardly any reason to put a thicker oil in I would have thought.

I agree with regard to the oil analysis - having done the exercise with Mobil tech services after we swung the Toyota Hilux Surf (1KZTE turbo diesel) onto Mobil 1 5W-50. This was done to ascertain a safe oil/filter service interval on the synthetic. The Toyota spec is for 5000K oil and filter change using mineral oil. We did sampling at 3 intervals - 10K, 15K and 20K. At 20K the ash level was too high - probably due to clogged 2 stage oil filter.
Interesting was the fact that with a 15K oil and filter service interval the Viscosity Index of the Mobil 1 sample was still better than new mineral oil! Amazing!

Spoke with my local Nissan dealer today - and they recommend 5W-30 - as per the owners manual.

With that in mind I will most likely use the Castrol Edge Sport 5W-30 and do an oil analysis on the next 10K change.

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
No probs Tuco, I may be out of touch as I am not aware that Nissan sold a Nissan branded 5W30 oil for the diesel?

There was a service bulletin that mentioned Nissan only recommended its 10W40 oil for the ZD30 in Australia and as far as I am aware, it still stands.

Re the 5W30, a 5W30 rating gets very thin at high temps and if it gets too thin the bearings will wear / fail. Whilst you may be able to get away with it in climates of say 20c, as the outside temps rise, this has a great effect on oil temps at the bearing, same as towing will have a great effect on the oil temps at the bearings.

Have a read of this article regarding engine temps if you get a chance. Here is a snippet of the article "With a high engine load condition even at a modest 30ºC, the water temperature gauge will show no change but the engine oil can quickly exceed 150ºC. When the ambient temperature exceeds 40ºC, a similar situation can occur even during normal driving conditions."

This is why most oils will advise on their thickness at 40c, 100c and 150c temps. Post 3 of this Oils ain't Oils thread has a bit of a writeup on it :)

Also, have a look at the owners manual, I would be surprised if it does not also provide other choice of viscosity based on outside temps.

In the end, by all means use whatever you are comfortable with but it may be worth your while doing a bit of research and not taking the dealers word for it considering the Nissan Australia service bulletin recommendation..

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
nissan
545 Posts
so what problems could arrise if someone you was to use a low ash oil like valvoline super diesel in a 42.tdi for a short period ?(less than 1000k's)

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
so what problems could arrise if someone you was to use a low ash oil like valvoline super diesel in a 42.tdi for a short period ?(less than 1000k's)
I am quite certain that nothing will come of that.

From memory that oil is a 15W40 so all good there, the low ash will come into play as the oil gets contaminated from the combustion process. Low ash usually means lower reserves to combat the contamination so the longer is stays in the engine, the more chance the has of failing.

·
Registered
nissan
61 Posts
im have trouble finding 15w40a and 15w40b. For my confidence using the tech sheets when there is the same number [email protected] oC and one higher [email protected] oC (closer to 16cst) than the other one, would the one with the higher cst @ 100 oC have a higher cst @ 150 oC ?
as they dont all have cst @ 150

i have some castrol tection hd in my shed the way i under stand it this will be ok for a 07 stock

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/10467_TectionHD_465353_2011_02.pdf

all help is well appreciated

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,379 Posts
I have just started using Penrite 0w50 premium 10 tenths in my series 2 3lt (as per chaz) and was just wondering is any one else using it, and what there thoughts are.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
351 Posts
G'day guys. I've done alot research about this oils thing. And what I wanted to know is does anyone know what the calcium based detergent levels are in the delo 400.

For the td42 it requires a level of al least 3000 ppm.

Cheers

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
There is a dealer in town here who do both Nissan and Mazda. They use Castrol for everything. Semi synthetic 10/30 for most. Approved for use by Nissan?

·
Registered
nissan
61 Posts
G'day guys. I've done alot research about this oils thing. And what I wanted to know is does anyone know what the calcium based detergent levels are in the delo 400.

For the td42 it requires a level of al least 3000 ppm.

Cheers
this was from a email aprox 12mths old

Delo 400 Multigrade has a Sulphated Ash content (typical) of 1.4%wt, and a typical Calcium content of 3500 parts per million.

unless they have change it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I worked at a Nissan dealership(Brissie) for a couple of months,and I can tell you for a fact there is not a drop of Nissan oil in the place.....because I cleaned up the oil shed at one point.

Yes,the mechanics are useless drones,mostly appret doing services....turning them out like hamburgers.Two mechanics were gold,one was doing engine swaps under warranty(3.0TD) other fella was overseeing.Wages were shyt!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
351 Posts
this was from a email aprox 12mths old

Delo 400 Multigrade has a Sulphated Ash content (typical) of 1.4%wt, and a typical Calcium content of 3500 parts per million.

unless they have change it.
Exactly the info I was chasing. Cheers for that. Might be time to change oil

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
im have trouble finding 15w40a and 15w40b. For my confidence using the tech sheets when there is the same number [email protected] oC and one higher [email protected] oC (closer to 16cst) than the other one, would the one with the higher cst @ 100 oC have a higher cst @ 150 oC ?
as they dont all have cst @ 150

i have some castrol tection hd in my shed the way i under stand it this will be ok for a 07 stock

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/10467_TectionHD_465353_2011_02.pdf

all help is well appreciated
Hi yrrab, there is a high probability that the oil with a higher cst at 100c will also have a higher cst @ 150c.

Also, the tection hd will do nicely for you, I note that it is also DH-1 certified so you have to be happy with that :)

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
You have done a lot of good work to gave us all this info. Thanks mate

Just 1 question. What oil do you use?
Hi Keith, I am still using the Delo 400 Multigrade which I pick up in 20ltr drums for between $95-$120.

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
nissan
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
So what's a good oil for TD42-T with Adelaides Summer weather?
Good value for money options would be the the Mobil Delvac MX Extra 15W-40 or the Delo 400 Multigrade which are both JASO DH-1 and a CI-4 plus and should keep your engine insides quite clean due to their additive package.

They should both be available in 20ltr drums for between $95-$120. I notice the Mobil online store has the Mobil Delvac MX Extra 15W-40 for $100 delivered at the moment :)

Cheers,
Whitie

·
Registered
nissan
120 Posts
well i just got back from a 5000klms trip thru vic nsw to the cnr country and i thought id better give my truck an oil change as when i left the truck had only 2000klms on the clock and seeing as at the first service they didnt change the oil
i went down to the caltex depot and the women there told me to get a drum of havoline fully synthetic c3 sae 5-30 api sn/cf
hass anyone here used? if so what do u guys think,will this do the job?
cost was 165 for 20 ltrs

161 - 180 of 209 Posts