Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, up here on the Sunshine Coast, a bloke driving an old MG (don't know what variety...probably an MGB) was involved in a crash.

What happened was that a trailer detached from the vechicle in front of him and lurched into his car. To make matters worse, the vechicle behind rear-ended him.

After this he was pretty 'ted and was taken to hospital. Luckily he'll be OK...pretty much.

Just goes to show...little old *****boxes shouldn't go on motorways.

If he'd been driving a Patrol the trailer would have been shunted into the weeds and the rear-ender would have had a Hayman Reese thru' his radiator.

I'd sooner drive a Patrol than a 'crumple zone.'

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
no it shows that people are retarded and this particular retard did not fit their trailer to their vehicle using proper or safe means and that whoever was in charge of that vehicle and trailer should never be allowed to drive again.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
More to the point people shouldnt have crap trailers. Im sure a patrol would have suffered if it hit my tandem.

Its a strange statement to make, people can drive whatever takes their fancy as long as its roadworthy. I wouldnt drive an MG simply because its British.

Each to their own I guess.

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
And if that happened to a guy on a motorbike, people shouldn't ride those either?

Just ribbing ya about your opinion :)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The question remains
WHY did the trailer detach ???
Over loaded ???
(How many box trailers have those 1,000L water tanks full on an unbraked 750KG rated trailer)
Or was the trailer and load beyond the cars capabilities
(Seen a magna towing an EF Falcon)

Stems to reason the world is full of
Brain deads

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Some Fuktard on Mt Cotton road yesterday had a trailer overloaded with tree branches and logs and the like. Shiiit falling off everywhere. I had to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to miss a branch (about 15cm thick). bring on the british system of trailer licensing i say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
We have a little red 59' MGA in the shed at home and I know that with the lack of seat belts I don't drive it on the motorway!! Only smooth around the back streets :) lovely car to drive around in :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
a speed camera would have prevented that ...

·
Registered
nissan
2,694 Posts
In the modern Urban assult that is driving on public roads today, one needs to be equipped, not only with extremely honed senses, but also the right vehicle.

The amount of times i see people scream out of an intersection (without even an attempt at braking) while i'm heading toward it is phenominal. It happens on several near home approx 6-10 times a day.

Now, as i realise this is the norm (whether right or wrong), i protect myself with a big arse truck and a nice heavy steel bullbar.

When they do cut it too fine (as happened the other week) and i inevitably hit them (which is what happens when you keep driving and teach them a lesson), they have to take their chances in whatever thin tin box they are driving.

If the MG driver in question was in a patrol, then i'm confident he would have sustained much milder injuries (if any at all); the fact that it was someone elses fault doesn't help YOU much when your on a heart/lung machine!

It's quite easy to drive to the road rules, ignore them and you get what you deserve...especially if you do it in front of me!

And, in case there are any bleeding heart librals out there...in a case of me verses you, i'll be choosing me, every time...;)

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Where was the safety chain on the trailer???
In the MG's radiator.

I was in a car that lost a 6x4 box trailer once at freeway speeds. The empty trailer actually overtook us once it had broken free, and went on up the freeway at 80km/h or so with us following it - very nicely balanced trailer too, the drawbar would touch down every 3 or 4 seconds with a shower of sparks then gracefully lift, and she tracked straight and true. Unfortunately, the only car parked on the side of the freeway for 20km was in her sights and she smacked into it (Nissan Prairie) on the RH rear, tore the doorskins off both RH doors, knocked it off the jack that was under the front RH side, and did a neat 180 to stop directly in front of it with the drawbar pointing back.

Luckily for the elderly owner, he had not been able to get his spare wheel out of the rear mounting position - he'd been trying for 30-40 seconds. If he'd got it out straight away he'd have been hit by the trailer. He could not understand how we could have sideswiped his parked car, we had to explain that we'd lost the trailer 500m back up the road!

We wondered wtf had happened, until a bloke stopped and mentioned a block of hardwood that was 6"x6"x15" lying on the freeway, obviously having fallen off a truck. Then we remembered - my mate had swerved to avoid it but the trailer had hit it with one wheel, which set it to oscillating left right until it snapped the ball retaining bolt, then both safety chains. In the ensuing drama the cause of the incident was forgotten until old mate stopped.

I do agree that if you have an old classic you need to be a bit selective about where and when you drive it. I'v owned a '69 Kombi since I was 18, and it will be restored and used only for the 20-odd minute drive to the Maroochy river or beaches on sunny Sundays - the Patrol will takes us everywhere else.

I remember reading a line by a motoring journalist years ago where he said "My old man always maintained that MG stood for Melbourne Graveyard, and ever since one wrapped itself around a pole outside Rookwood Cemetary I've been scared stiff of the buggers" ;)

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
In the modern Urban assult that is driving on public roads today, one needs to be equipped, not only with extremely honed senses, but also the right vehicle.

The amount of times i see people scream out of an intersection (without even an attempt at braking) while i'm heading toward it is phenominal. It happens on several near home approx 6-10 times a day.

Now, as i realise this is the norm (whether right or wrong), i protect myself with a big arse truck and a nice heavy steel bullbar.

When they do cut it too fine (as happened the other week) and i inevitably hit them (which is what happens when you keep driving and teach them a lesson), they have to take their chances in whatever thin tin box they are driving.

If the MG driver in question was in a patrol, then i'm confident he would have sustained much milder injuries (if any at all); the fact that it was someone elses fault doesn't help YOU much when your on a heart/lung machine!

It's quite easy to drive to the road rules, ignore them and you get what you deserve...especially if you do it in front of me!

And, in case there are any bleeding heart librals out there...in a case of me verses you, i'll be choosing me, every time...;)
And who are you to be teaching anybody a lesson?

People in glass houses...
let you who have never sinned...

and all the rest. One day STIC, you'll get yours.

HOWEVER, you are right, if he had have been in a bbbb he'd perhaps have sustained less injuries... what, so everybody should drive a BBBB now? Maybe i'll buy me a mack. Nah, bugger it, i'll get me a mine tipper. then i'll be safe.:rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, you have just admitted to deliberately colliding with another vehicle, here's hoping the driver of that vehicle, or the insurance reps on her claim don't get wind of your admission of fault!

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The problem with teaching incompedant,uneducated drivers who cut you of
You hit them from the rear your at fault

So no matter ,they cut you of you hit them your up the sh*t literally

Maybe mandatory breakaways on every trailer ???
Would that fix the 0.00000001% of trailers that breakaway from the tow vehicle ???
Breakaways are on 3t and beyond trailers
So an unbraked 750KG - 3T trailer is gunna do any less damage,projectiling down the road

1 - 17 of 17 Posts