Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to start Posting in the Registry, my Rig is nearly finished hopefully before the forum meet. I will post photo's when finished.
I have spend the last few days after work building a water/air intercooler, which is the 4th unit i have built and fitted to the rig this is the very last one and should do what i want.
Here are some pic's to show i actually work on my truck.

As you may see these Manifold do not flow very well the evidence of carbon around the port entries.

It is different but my simple flow bench said it flows well past the 900cfm and even through all ports.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u196/Oldmav/Manifold/P1040621.jpg

·
Boosting GQ
1,110 Posts
Well i say thats some serious engineering that has gone into that cooler Peter. Im guessing the water core is only in the box section on the top. What did you use to clean out the ports so well ?? and since when have you had a ute? i always though it was a wagon :oops:

But anyway looking good, looking foward to some more pictures

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
About time mate. As "Larry The cable Guy" would say................Git Er Doooooooone :punkrock:

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crooksey said:
Well i say thats some serious engineering that has gone into that cooler Peter. Im guessing the water core is only in the box section on the top. What did you use to clean out the ports so well ?? and since when have you had a ute? i always though it was a wagon :oops:

But anyway looking good, looking foward to some more pictures
Has always been a ute/tray back, Ill post up a alloy tray for you just to see.
the box on top is the water core they say it is good for 500hp but i doubt it, i was after no pressure drop and max cooling which it will do at 15psi. It would struggle at 20psi though, would need to be twice as big at 20psi.

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
our truck said:
that looks great Peter, just out of curiosity, what do the standard manifolds flow?
Cheers
Daniel
Probably about 500 on a good day I'd say but I have not actually looked into it either and so would be interested to know

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
our truck said:
that looks great Peter, just out of curiosity, what do the standard manifolds flow?
Cheers
Daniel
Daniel
It gets very hap hazard at 250cfm by 300cfm it miss flows and very uneven. The flow streams are all at the top of the ports, not good for valve entry hence the carbon deposits in the manifold.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
our truck said:
Thanks for that Peter, your truck wont know what hit it when you fit that up. I cant wait to see the end result.
Cheers
Daniel.
Daniel
In suction mode non turbo mode if will flow best 425cfm but i have tested in blow mode which is what happens in a turbo install these are the results stated, also i use a smoke machine to see how the air exits the ports which is more important than outright flow.

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
Peter Can You Post More Pics Of The Actual Ute And Of The Engine Bay (tghis Was A Factory Turbo Wasn't It)

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BIG GQ said:
Peter Can You Post More Pics Of The Actual Ute And Of The Engine Bay (tghis Was A Factory Turbo Wasn't It)
Linc Remember my rig is a 3/90 model Maverick use to be a full leaf spring job sort off. Now it has or did have that much GQ and GU stuff on it, it could be anything.
Turbo is a garrett AirRearch T3/T4 Made by me, Exhaust manifolds cast by me Air Box etc are from a lost company called AIT now AXT. Not many workshops did turbo's in 1990 hence why i did my own, this truck only had 6klms on the clock when the turbo was put on i have never driven it without a turbo it was the only way i could get a warranty on the engine from Ford.

·
Administrator
4,576 Posts
I just thought you and the old man bought a facotry turbo town and country jobbie or something

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mickyd555 said:
Does the bonnet clear that at the front:shock:

It would have to be tight
With standard cab mounts it will clear just, but no real clearance for engine movement. My junk has large 25mm alloy plates attached to the cab mount plates for the past cab mount repares that pulled out many years ago.

The cooler can be set back some 60mm to the standard outlet position, of the manifold it will have good clearance then for standard body mounts. I chose to put the cooler central for no real reason except because i can, the flow difference on this large a plenum would make no difference, even offset back to the fire wall where clearance would be a non issue. The only draw back to my this setup, is to do the tappets may require a remove the whole manifold or slide it out 5mm, In the design i am still hoping i can still remove the tappet cover with a little force. Will let you know on the weekend. I can always build another one 5mm higher if it **** me to much.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BIG GQ said:
I just thought you and the old man bought a facotry turbo town and country jobbie or something
Yes Linc that is how it came about My Dad's rig is a town and country pack with a wee AIT / AirResarch turbo factory kit on it, It has since cracked the manifold and the turbo burnt out and replaced by my made up bits but being a Dad and a electrical engineer he didn't believe his son knew what he was talking about, and went for the factory kit, but it helped me get the warranty. I am sure you can read between the lines and knowing what you know of me, as to how this panned out.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts