Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st-l
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Is anyone aware and can provide an update on the OME Steering Damper (OMESD01) backorder issues?

Had one on backorder for about a month and no one can tell me when OME are going to fulfilling those backorders.

thanks

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
ARB in south Africa are also out of stock of just about everything. Maybe the issues in Thailand slowed production and metal imports.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I think its the same as Landrover?

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Arb told me today maybe next month some time

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,584 Posts
This is interesting! Does this apply to their whole steering dampner range?

There is apparently one (eye to eye) for 99-02 models and another (pin to pin) for 03-on. The later has the OME branding printed on it, the earlier model dosen't.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Could be a blessing in disguise. I've got no problem with OME gear generally but their steering dampener is a useless bike pump.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,584 Posts
That reminds me, eperiences ive had with their pin to pin version in the past, tells me to warn others to locklite the nuts!!!! One of the nylock nuts came off mine at the last P4x4 meet up, the nut thread is the rare type and took 2 days to fine out in Dargo!

Big thanks to the road work guys in the High Country who happened to have them and came to the rescue!

Thanks goes out to Jet6 for putting in a call to a mate of his!

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I may pick up a tough dog one to replace my OME. These ARB just seem normal shocks found on 1984 mini's. Not sure of the internal valves but whats the difference from a shock to steering dampener apart from some return rates.

Reactions: MQTray

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,584 Posts
Good question? Can anyone enlighten us?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
A normal gas shock like the OME has pressuring gas mixed with the oil. The pressure will always try to open the shock. That's fine for a shock with the weight of the vehicle on it and the gas is ok as long it's kept vertical. For a steering dampener they sit horizontal so this system doesn't work. You don't want the shock pushing your steering and you don't want the gas sitting in the valves. The fix is to use an isolated pocket of air called a foam cell - same concept as tuff dog, rancho shocks. This works for a while until the foam cell breaks down and leaks air into the oil. On a vertical shock it's not critical as the air will sit at the top and at worst cause a bit of cavitation. But in a steering dampener it means the unit is now completely ineffective. The best solution is the old koni full hydraulic but sadly they don't bother making for the GU anymore.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
You can still get the Koni on order. Part number is O26-1635 for the Patrol. Its RRP is about 135 USD with out air freight.
They only do the pin type. I just sent Koni a email were i got my raids from so I see what they say in few days.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
You can still get the Koni on order. Part number is O26-1635 for the Patrol. Its RRP is about 135 USD with out air freight.
They only do the pin type. I just sent Koni a email were i got my raids from so I see what they say in few days.

Hey mate I think that's only the pin-pin model for the GQ whereas we need eye-eye (or preferably ball joint) on the GUs. Let us know how you go.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Our 2012 4.8's are pin to pin. I thought only GU from 02 to 05 were ring type. I let you know what they say.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
I spoke to my local ARB today and they said they'd have one for me Monday?

Now I'm wondering if I actually will get one... :(
How did you go, did they have one for you?

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Confirmed - Koni still do the the pin to pin type for the GU Patrol. Its a back order item so its 8 weeks due to Koni factory going on summer vacation.

·
Registered
Nissan
201 Posts
Got a call today, "by the way, did (salesman) tell you that these were not going to be available until September?"

"Well no, he actually said it would be here today..."

Good thing I didn't pay anything...!

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Tim,

Just got my quote from Koni so I gave them a call just make sure all part numbers were correct. I asked them if they do make the ring type and they confirm they do but its made to order and its about 8 weeks. They going to email me the part number this week. Note the steering damper is a Pin to Pin type. Ring type part number to follow ASAP.

General notes who ever is interested:
I've added all the part numbers for the Koni setup for Y61 on 2" lift (suitable for HD coils) if anyone needs it. You don't need the extra bushes as OME or OEM will fit and are the same size. These just spares for the tool box.

Raid are adjustable and can be adjusted on the Patrol with out removing them. Just compress turn and click. Make a note mark on each shock or label what direction is soft and hard before fitting.

If you buy overseas you can less the tax.

Attachments

Reactions: chris66
1 - 20 of 26 Posts