Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day electrical experts, I am looking for some advice.

I have 2013 GU Patrol with dual under bonnet batterys and Projecta 100 amp isolator and 8mm twin core running to back of car to a fuse block running car fridge etc.

When staying in a caravan park its a pain in the ass to disconnect electrical plug on 47 litre Evakool fridge to change from 12v to 240v. I want to hardwire a 12v charger into rear of car so I can open rear door and plug extension cord into charger and leave fridge constantly running off aux battery, hopefully keeping the battery charged and me not having to switch from 12 to 240v or vice versa every time the missus wants to go for a drive.

So any suggestions on if this will work, what battery charger will be suitable and is the 8mm twin core enough to charge back to the aux battery?
I don't think my fridge draws more than 2.5 amps so was thinking a Ctek 5amp charger might be ok.

Thanks guys, I await your expert reply :)

·
Registered
nissan
79 Posts
I would use a 5amp charger and wire it to a spare fuse block you mentioned that is in the back.
That way the mains supplies the fridge and trickle charges the battery in the front via the wiring you already have.

Peter

Reactions: GeroGU

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I have a similar system to what you have mentioned but I am using 2 fridges, the battery charger and the 2 fridges are plugged into a power board. When I go from 12v to 240 the fridges automatically change to 240v as well ( they are continually plugged into both 12v and the powerboard ). Check your manual to see if yours automatically changes over. It does not matter really if it does not anyway as a 5 amp charger will do what you need.

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a similar system to what you have mentioned but I am using 2 fridges, the battery charger and the 2 fridges are plugged into a power board. When I go from 12v to 240 the fridges automatically change to 240v as well ( they are continually plugged into both 12v and the powerboard ). Check your manual to see if yours automatically changes over. It does not matter really if it does not anyway as a 5 amp charger will do what you need.
thanks Smeagol, with the Evakool you have to remove the 12v lead and fit the 240v lead with transformer attached. The plug is under the fridge and hard to get to hence the want to leave attached to 12v and unplug charger when moving vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts