Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

181 - 200 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,034 Posts
Then the needle valve is placed downstream of the tillix valve.
The tillix must open and adjust to 0.3 bar.So if I didn't get it wrong without the tillix valve it should still work.
Steps:
Before install, set Dawes (@300mbar/approx 4-5psi) with a compressor or the like with pressure gauge fitted. To do this use a short length hose on pressure "in side" of the Dawes and adjust Dawes until you can just feel the air passing thru it (then lock it). As Phil stated block off one outlets (@ Tee of Dawes)

Then install as per diagram, open needle on downstream side of Dawes say half to one turn to start with,
@ idle adjust spool needle as normal (lever just to hit vane limit stop grub screw).
Go for a drive adjust for your boost level by adjusting Dawes bleed needle_closing it will raise boost and may need more adjustment to spool needle(this will also have impact on boost level).

Interested to read see how you go.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
G’day Phil I’ve been running just the two needles and no Dawes for a few months now and have noticed lower egts and reliable boost figures.
Fuel economy is about the same. This seems to work very well with the auto.
Adam from Australia

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Thank you for your feedback, @RAGGQ. Much appreciated, as this is music to my ears.

I am glad you are happy with driving your Patrol.

It is not the best you can find, as electronic + software tuned to your Patrol configuration would give you much better result (forget Digiboster), but it is the simplest, cheapest, and most efficient pneumatic solution I found at the end of the day.
Enjoy your Patrol !

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
As we’ve discussed via email was the boost bounce issue which doesn’t effect performance at all.
I’ve actually got the boost bounce very minimal now by a few fine adjustments on both the needle valves.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
The main issue with valves system, is that they open the turbo vanes continuously and progressively. It is not the way the vanes have to be managed. When you reach half aperture, you should stop opening further until you are closed to max boost, and then regulate around max boost. Only electronics and proper sofware control allow that.
With Valves, at some point in time vanes may be a bit too opened, hence a little drop in pressure and the bounce.

Ideally, you should fine tune the setting of your valves in gear 3, full throttle from 1500 to 3500 RPM.
If your spool-up is too agressive, the turbo spins too fast too quickly, and it becomes more difficult to avoid the bounce as you have to open the other needle enough to avoid boost going to the roof. It is a matter of compromise in that case...as always.

To mimic more precisely what the VNT would like, you would need to add, in parallel to the above second needle, an additional dawes + Needle. ( and you woiuld then close your second needle further ).
This would maintain the vanes a bit more closed for a while, and when you get closer to max boost ( ex : 15 psi ), the dawes would open and the third needle would help regulate to reach max boost. I never tried that, and it would certainly be more difficult to set-up and tune !

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
The main issue with valves system, is that they open the turbo vanes continuously and progressively. It is not the way the vanes have to be managed. When you reach half aperture, you should stop opening further until you are closed to max boost, and then regulate around max boost. Only electronics and proper sofware control allow that.
With Valves, at some point in time vanes may be a bit too opened, hence a little drop in pressure and the bounce.

Ideally, you should fine tune the setting of your valves in gear 3, full throttle from 1500 to 3500 RPM.
If your spool-up is too agressive, the turbo spins too fast too quickly, and it becomes more difficult to avoid the bounce as you have to open the other needle enough to avoid boost going to the roof. It is a matter of compromise in that case...as always.

To mimic more precisely what the VNT would like, you would need to add, in parallel to the above second needle, an additional dawes + Needle. ( and you woiuld then close your second needle further ).
This would maintain the vanes a bit more closed for a while, and when you get closer to max boost ( ex : 15 psi ), the dawes would open and the third needle would help regulate to reach max boost. I never tried that, and it would certainly be more difficult to set-up and tune !
I think the more valves used would just become more complicated and harder to get right. I’ll just stick with the two needle valves for now as it is running quite nicely.
Ideally if there was a way to control the vgt with just valves and not electronics so as not to bleed vacuum into the boost line that would be the cheaper and easier

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I was jocking with the 4 valves ! French humour.

You will have soon a very knowlegeable man about VNT electronic/software management in Australia : @brianwood.

Nothing will never replace proper sw-controlled VNT. To get rid of vacuum and actuator, you would need to go to a sw-controlled electronic actuator, like what you find on modern cars. I had a project planned to do so, but could not find the time so far. And the gain very small compared to what I have today.

My next project will quite certainly be to control my VP44 IP through its CAN Bus. So I will be able to modify fueling and timing without any need for ECU remap.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,474 Posts
I wasn't going to post this but you continue to hijack other informative threads with your BS.
2014, Dawes valve and very dirty aircleaner.
Not very hard to get those results.
This wasn't a very good tune either...

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
435 Posts
Skeg, is your graph using standard fuel mapping? Obviously adding extra fuel would drive the turbo harder.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Perfect analysis. @brianwood. You are a champion.

I have no remap, and therefore limiting elecrtronically the MAF value seen by the ECU to kill limps. So fuel injection is much less than what I could have. Hence the exhaust turbine spinning a bit less, hence less air. But nevertheless more than a stock turbo. nota : I have a full stock inlet.
I am out of here. There is no point talking with people who do not understand.

I hope your project is making progress. I am sure you will achieve great results, are you are taking it the right way.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
G’day @Phdv61 before you leave I have a quick question for you. I have just checked the codes on my patrol, 0102 and 0406 came up. I have just changed the Maf and the 0406 code has only come up since I changed to just the 2 needle valves. Any idea on this?
I have noticed since changing to just the 2 needle valves that I can really hear the air being sucked down the snorkel more than before.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
Also Phil, just to let you know the patrol has been going very well and these codes don’t bring up an engine light.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I will continue to answer MPs. No worries.

0406 is a code indicating "excessive MAF voltage".
Got it once in my life when the MAF grounding was incorrect. with that incorrect grounding ( in fact no grounding at all ), I was measuring 6.5V at tmy MAF output. You should check your MAF wiring end-to-end between MAF and ECU, with special attention on grounding.

0102 is problem with MAF wiring ( see my comment above)

So check the plug is totally inserted, and that the wiring is OK.
Why did you change your MAF ?

Last but not least, @geeyoutoo did a fantastic job in putting all relevant doc in the Archive. And his own thread is full of very detailed info. Go and download the Nissan technical manual. Section EC does give you all error codes and explanations.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
You can check the MAF output voltage at the back of it, or at the ECU input, with care. do not use any of the ECU ground pins, but use the chassis itself. all wire colors and identification are found in the EC section of the NISSAN manual (in the Archive)

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
I will continue to answer MPs. No worries.

0406 is a code indicating "excessive MAF voltage".
Got it once in my life when the MAF grounding was incorrect. with that incorrect grounding ( in fact no grounding at all ), I was measuring 6.5V at tmy MAF output. You should check your MAF wiring end-to-end between MAF and ECU, with special attention on grounding.

0102 is problem with MAF wiring ( see my comment above)

So check the plug is totally inserted, and that the wiring is OK.
Why did you change your MAF ?

Last but not least, @geeyoutoo did a fantastic job in putting all relevant doc in the Archive. And his own thread is full of very detailed info. Go and download the Nissan technical manual. Section EC does give you all error codes and explanations.
Thanks for your response @Phdv61 I’ll check the plug and voltage of the Maf and make sure of grounding. I changed the Maf a little while ago because of low voltage and at high revs the car would go into limp. I would then have to pull over turn the car off and restart it. This only ever happened over 3000 rpm.
So after 380000 km I changed the Maf and all was good again

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
You are welcome.
Below 3500RPM, your MAF voltage should not exceed 4.2V otherwise you would get limp.
If you don't have remap, and if this happens, you need to reduce slightly your MAF voltage one way or the other. ideally, electronically with RPM and MAF voltage as inputs, and modified MAF output under the limp thresholds as output.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
83 Posts
My ecu has been remapped so over voltage shouldn’t be a problem. My old Maf wasn’t showing enough voltage and therefore not giving it enough fuel when it got to high revs.
(That is how I see it anyway)
Since the new Maf has gone in it’s been driving beautifully!
It’s just the 2 codes I mentioned earlier that I’ll have to look into

·
Premium Member
25,474 Posts
Skeg, is your graph using standard fuel mapping? Obviously adding extra fuel would drive the turbo harder.
Yes. That was standard fuel mapping. I'm very aware what the effect of dumping more fuel in is. No remap. No chip. Standard exhaust. Only intake mods were the Cross Country intercooler. Removal of the mesh screens and I had just put in the silicone pipe between the turbo and MAF holder due to the OEM one splitting.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25,474 Posts
G’day @Phdv61 before you leave I have a quick question for you. I have just checked the codes on my patrol, 0102 and 0406 came up. I have just changed the Maf and the 0406 code has only come up since I changed to just the 2 needle valves. Any idea on this?
I have noticed since changing to just the 2 needle valves that I can really hear the air being sucked down the snorkel more than before.
Nothing to worry about with the 0405 code. I get it on a daily basis due to my Tillix valve setup and the extra fuel from the remap. I've consulted with other tuners and we all agree it is nothing to worry about. That and none of us have been able to find the map that triggers it yet. I'll be back to working on my remap later this year once things go back to normal so hopefully I'll get lucky and find it.
The 0102 code can be caused by multiple things. Faulty connection to MAF sensor. Dirty MAF, leaking intake manifold gasket, faulty MAF and vacuum leak are all possible causes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

181 - 200 of 230 Posts